Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my Palisade about 6 months and have 7500 miles on it. I brought it into the dealer today for the first oil change and casually mentioned to the service rep that I started hearing a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. He proceeded to tell me that it needs a new steering column and the replace at least a half dozen so far. He then told me this model car is a cash cow for the dealerships, that on average they are making $10k in recalls, TSB’s and known issues per vehicle. I’m at the point I truly regret buying the car between the wind noise, steering column, rear a/c, and other electronics not working as it should. I already started the process to lemon law it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is actually very disappointing to hear. I am hoping (no offense) that it is not the case with all vehicles. Well, you know what they say about first generation or a car. I only have about 250 miles on mine so I have not experienced any of these issues (fingers crossed) yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well, darn....that is certainly unexpected...sounds as if the early builds did have some problems that are beyond just being annoying...I believe the wind issue may be fixed on the later builds, but a grinding in the steering column probably has not been addressed....one of the reasons I bought my 4th Hyundai is that the company and dealer has been so good about fixing anything that goes wrong....and, also that there have been few things that have needed to be fixed....hope you get your problems addressed in a satisfactory way, and you also become a happy Palisade owner...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Interesting that he says they've replaced a half dozen steering columns. This is the first I've heard of this problem on any of the forums. I wonder if he meant hyundai has had to vs his specific dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
He then told me this model car is a cash cow for the dealerships, that on average they are making $10k in recalls, TSB’s and known issues per vehicle.
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but this particular quote by your dealer seems way overblown, reads like utter hyperbole to me. Perhaps the service advisor is just trying to be facetious to save face, or whatever. There are just two known TSBs for our cars (AWD vibration [which doesnt affect us FWDs] + wind noise). Perhaps indeed it's time for you to move on to another vehicle if you can lemon law it, or whatever. But cmon, a "cash cow"? Good grief, give me a break..... If anything, the dealerships would loathe this kind of situation, because they make far more money selling cars than they must make servicing them under warranty.

We have 800+ members in this quaint little growing forum of ours. OP is the first one to mention this steering column issue. I'm not insisting anything like a true statistical validity here, but just for sake of making the point, that's 0.1%.

INB4 tomorrow we see another post from a prospective or soon-to-be buyer "I've heard ALL Palisades have steering problems, should i be worried?!" cuz of this one post.

OP, good luck with your issues. Hope they can find a resolution for you for the problems you've had in your car. Good thing these things have a decent warranty, in any case, right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is actually very disappointing to hear. I am hoping (no offense) that it is not the case with all vehicles. Well, you know what they say about first generation or a car. I only have about 250 miles on mine so I have not experienced any of these issues (fingers crossed) yet.
It seems the bulk of the issues was on the first run of the Limited.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting that he says they've replaced a half dozen steering columns. This is the first I've heard of this problem on any of the forums. I wonder if he meant hyundai has had to vs his specific dealer.
He made it clear it was that dealership and on the Palisade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but this particular quote by your dealer seems way overblown, reads like utter hyperbole to me. Perhaps the service advisor is just trying to be facetious to save face, or whatever. There are just two known TSBs for our cars (AWD vibration [which doesnt affect us FWDs] + wind noise). Perhaps indeed it's time for you to move on to another vehicle if you can lemon law it, or whatever. But cmon, a "cash cow"? Good grief, give me a break..... If anything, the dealerships would loathe this kind of situation, because they make far more money selling cars than they must make servicing them under warranty.

We have 800+ members in this quaint little growing forum of ours. OP is the first one to mention this steering column issue. I'm not insisting anything like a true statistical validity here, but just for sake of making the point, that's 0.1%.

INB4 tomorrow we see another post from a prospective or soon-to-be buyer "I've heard ALL Palisades have steering problems, should i be worried?!" cuz of this one post.

OP, good luck with your issues. Hope they can find a resolution for you for the problems you've had in your car. Good thing these things have a decent warranty, in any case, right?
I’m repeating verbatim what was said to me. I certainly don’t have the ability to check the service records of the dealership. That said one of the other Palisades that needed replacement is the GM who happens to be my neighbor. Incidentally he did confirm that his too needed a column.

·
Registered
829 Posts
He made it clear it was that dealership and on the Palisade
Seems odd that one dealership was having several vehicles with the same issue that no one else seems to have been reporting.

That's an incredible coincidence. I wonder if the dealership was doing something weird during PDI that caused damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have my Palisade about 6 months and have 7500 miles on it. I brought it into the dealer today for the first oil change and casually mentioned to the service rep that I started hearing a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. He proceeded to tell me that it needs a new steering column and the replace at least a half dozen so far. He then told me this model car is a cash cow for the dealerships, that on average they are making $10k in recalls, TSB’s and known issues per vehicle. I’m at the point I truly regret buying the car between the wind noise, steering column, rear a/c, and other electronics not working as it should. I already started the process to lemon law it.
I have a white one coming pretty soon, but I think I am going to pass due to all the issues.One question also, how did you like the push button transmission, and how is Hyundai addressing your problems, since they have this wonderful 100,000 mile warranty. THKS IN ADVANCE

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
I checked with local dealer and service mgr a friend of mine told me they have had no issues with any steering columns on the Palisades and push button transmission works great. I have had zero problems with mine over 5500 miles only maintenance oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems odd that one dealership was having several vehicles with the same issue that no one else seems to have been reporting.

That's an incredible coincidence. I wonder if the dealership was doing something weird during PDI that caused damage.
I currently have one and have the same grinding sound. I have been told that I need to get the steering wheel column replaced. Just waiting on my dealer to order the replacement part to take it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m repeating verbatim what was said to me. I certainly don’t have the ability to check the service records of the dealership. That said one of the other Palisades that needed replacement is the GM who happens to be my neighbor. Incidentally he did confirm that his too needed a column.
Funny, I have a friend who is the GM here who sold me my Palisade Limited. I asked him about this "problem". He has yet to hear of any issues concerning steering columns, grinding steering or anything to do with steering. Only issue that he's aware of if the vibration issue. If they have in fact replaced as many steering columns on this model, there would already be a tsb on this. This model has been in Korea for over 2 years now. This is not anything new other than new to US/Canadian markets.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Funny, I have a friend who is the GM here who sold me my Palisade Limited. I asked him about this "problem". He has yet to hear of any issues concerning steering columns, grinding steering or anything to do with steering. Only issue that he's aware of if the vibration issue. If they have in fact replaced as many steering columns on this model, there would already be a tsb on this. This model has been in Korea for over 2 years now. This is not anything new other than new to US/Canadian markets.
No, it hasn’t been out for over 2 years in Korea. It launched in mid-December 2018 over there and 6 months later in the USA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this problem too. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding sound, but kind of a whining noise of sorts. They said it was an issue with the power steering motor, and needed to replace the column. So far so good since it's been replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this problem too. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding sound, but kind of a whining noise of sorts. They said it was an issue with the power steering motor, and needed to replace the column. So far so good since it's been replaced.
How long did it take them to replace once you gave it in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long did it take them to replace once you gave it in?
I didn't get it back until day 3. I suspect the first day they underestimated how long it would take, and didn't start working on it until the afternoon. The original estimate was it was an all day thing, but I expected to get it back same day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are another victim of the steering column. We have a Limited and started hearing a swooshing or grinding when making turns.
Waiting for the part, they gave me the car back while we wait.
Still no resolution on our other issue of insane sound from the driver door when driving at highway speed.

·
Banned
674 Posts
I think we’ve had 4 or 5 in total for steering columns. And yes, there is no permanent cure for wind noise at the moment.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts