Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have a 2021 Calligraphy AWD and just picked up my new Gulfstream 248BH which is 3899lbs dry, and approx 4500lbs now. I drove it home from Ocala to New Port Richey, FL which is about a 2 hour drive and it was not very stable at 60+mph. When a semi-truck passes me, it nearly sucks me into it's lane. I have hauled air freight for a previous job, drove trucks and trailers pretty much my whole life, hauled cars on trailers, tractors, hauled WAAAAAAYYY above recommended towing capacities both with and without brakes etc. All that experience aside, this is the first time I have pulled a travel trailer. Is this normal? My tire pressures are good all around, brakes aren't sticking, nothing seems loose, and I have adequate tongue weight... if this is normal, I will just keep my speed down, but it doesn't feel normal to me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good morning, I’ll start off by stating that I have no experience towing camper trailers or towing something that exceeds the weight of the vehicle I’m driving. Also nowhere near your personal towing experience. I hope others with this experience will respond to your post.

I’ll also say, that is a very nice setup you have there. 😀👍

These are my thoughts and observations and hopefully I am wrong. The Palisade‘s curb weight is approximately 4400 lbs and is a unibody construction which makes it more rigid than body n frame vehicles. Also more challenging to tow than a comparable body on frame vehicle at towing limits. Towing a camper, which has a pretty substantial side profile that slightly exceeds the Palisades weight is going to be more challenging in windy conditions or at higher freeway speeds. I believe you would not experience the same issues if you were towing the same weight such as landscaping stones on a cargo trailer.

To conclude, I personally would not be towing a camper or large side profile trailer with my Palisade that exceeds 3500 lbs on longer trips. I simply don’t have the necessary experience. You on the other hand do have this experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just pulled a 3,000 lb Taxa Mantis from Telluride back through Denver that included all sorts of passing and speeds between 30 and 80 and always felt good. A semi passed me on the left and always sturdy. Just figured I would share FWIW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like your really squatting in the rear. I do not see a weight distribution hitch on the trailer. You need to transfer the weight to the front wheels. A weight distribution hitch will do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a weight distribution hitch with a sway control bar? If not, that is probably the issue. Even then towing the trailer that you have with the Palisade will always have some movement when a semi blows by you. I started out back in the 80's with a Ford Country Squire station wagon towing a trailer the same size as yours. The only way to avoid the movement you are experiencing completely is to get a heavier tow vehicle. Back in the day I upgraded to a F350 Crew Cab Dually. Using that you forget that the trailer is even there.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
527 Posts
Just pulled a 3,000 lb Taxa Mantis from Telluride back through Denver that included all sorts of passing and speeds between 30 and 80 and always felt good. A semi passed me on the left and always sturdy. Just figured I would share FWIW.
Can you have a Palisade in Telluride? :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm no expert but the tongue weight looks heavy. Max is 500 pounds. It might be as simple as balancing the loading in the trailer. I have towed 5,000 pound boats and trailers in the past but never very far. Balancing the tongue weight was always challenging by moving the axles fore and aft. Others suggested a weight distributing hitch, something to consider I'd probably take a trip to Camper's World for advice and a trip through the scales. They are the experts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with this wholeheartedly. I also firmly believe in playing it safe and staying away from the listed “max” weight you can tow. There’s so much BS out there about vehicle capabilities it’s ridiculous. It blows my mind what RV dealers list as “half-ton towable”. They don’t give a rip about your safety!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts