Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last week purchased a SEL w/ Comfort/Premium/Guidance packages. It is Black/black - traded in BMW 328i xDrive Sportwagon. Some thoughts/concerns:

1.) Still hard to believe that you have to get Limited to get 360 view option - especially on such a large vehicle with regard to parking
2.) We have a steering vibration at around 73mph - will have to talk to dealer about that. I believe others have had the same issue.
3.) Why did the engineers have it so that the smart tailgate only works if the car is locked. We never lock the car in the garage and it would be nice to be able to have the tailgate open automatically (our BMW used the foot method).
4.) When volume is turned up, get annoying vibration in doors from speakers - and no, not cranking music with a lot of base
5.) Definitely not the quality of my previous BMW's (have had many), but for the price I guess that is to be expected
6.) OK, it is a simple thing but the temp gauge should be in the middle after car comes to running temp.
7.) Bummer that the SEL w/ Premium does not come with ventilated front seats - even the EX Telluride does
8.) No wind noise….yet

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Definitely not the quality of my previous BMW's (have had many)..."
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the BMW is more luxurious than the Hyundai?
I would agree with that, but you pay a lot more for the BMW luxury, performance, and brand name during initial purchase and later maintenance. Hyundai is in the top 3 reliability for car brands, so in my opinion higher quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure 'luxurious' was the word I was thinking - the BMW's are just more 'solid' with regard to build, attention to detail, etc. We also looked at a CPO Mercedes GLE & GLS before buying our Palisade. The German cars just have more 'engineering'. I know that is a cliché, but it is true. And yes, I do realize you pay for that. It was a hard choice for us. We could have gotten a nice Mercedes GLE 400 or a GLS450 for about the same price - granted they had almost 50k miles on them. What kept us away from going that route was the long term maintenance costs. You do get what you pay for - and granted, most people that but a new BMW or Mercedes trade them in just before the warranty runs out and they do not have to worry about that; it is the second and third owners that are burden with those costs.

I am not saying that we are unhappy with the Palisade, just trying to give an opinion. I will miss the little things on our BMW's, for example: why could Hyundai not light up the dome switches so you could find them at night and the vents so you could see if they are open/close by just a glance at night.

But every car/manufacture has their shortcomings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Modern math?
From Mercedes website: "The Mercedes-Benz GLE 400 is an SUV. The 2019 GLE 400 starts at $55,700 (MSRP), with a destination charge of $995. It gets EPA-estimated 20 MPG combined."
"The 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 starts at $70,150, which is below average for a luxury large SUV. "

I just "built" a SEL on Hyundai's website. SEL:
  • Premium Package
    $2,400
  • Convenience Package
    $2,200
  • Drive Guidance
    $1,250
  • Power Sunroof
    $900
  • Captain's Chairs
    $0
View package details
  • Subtotal
    $40,250
  • Freight
    $1,095

• Total MSRP
    $41,345
I learned with my last car (GMC Acadia), if I want all the bells/whistles, don't buy a trim level or two down from the top.
Enjoy your ride.
I too have had my Limited for 300 miles and have yet to find any issues at all. (But, I've always been lucky with cars).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned we were looking at a CPO Mercedes (Certified Pre-Own) - in that case they were almost the same price; I do realize that a Palisade and a new Mercedes GLE are not in the same ballpark with regard to price. My wife just retired and we had a certain price point we were comfortable with. Went with the Palisade because of the warranty/maintenance - no regrets at this point. Just need to get the dealer to return my calls so I can get the vibration problem taken care of.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The word "quality" can mean different things.

There is "quality" as it relates to how well the car is put together, whether attention to detail is visible (cough unlit dome switches cough)... etc. There's no doubt that the Germans are the best at this. Get inside a brand new BMW or Mercedes and the high-end feel is immediately perceptible. This is what some call a "quality" interior. And I think Hyundai has done a very good job here, if not quite to the level of the Germans.

But "quality" also means reliability. And the Germans are not so good at that. There's a reason German cars are leased and not purchased. There are questionable engineering decisions
(BMW anyone?) and parts that don't last (I'm looking at you, VW). The average age of a car in the US is 11.8 years these days, with an average yearly mileage of 13.5K miles. That means 160K miles after 11.8 years. German cars have a lot more trouble getting up to that kind of mileage than Japanese or South Korean manufacturers. Not to mention the great warranty that comes with a Hyundai.

Our Palisade, which my wife drives, won't be driven anywhere near that kind of mileage. So we could probably have purchased German. We didn't because they're insanely expensive and we get a lot more for our money with Hyundai than a German brand. Our second car, which I drive, gets a LOT more mileage. I can't afford to buy German because of the mileage I do. So I have a Hyundai as well (2012 Sonata). I've had issues with it, but they have all been taken care of by Hyundai. I can only imagine how bad my finances would be now if it had been a German car with the same issues (I'm on my second motor on the Sonata - paid for by Hyundai).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well spoken, and true (we had a VW/dieselgate) and know about VW's long term quality. We never bought our BMW/Mercedes new - only CPO (so the first person could take the financial hit). We have always been able to maintain/repair our own BMW's (had (5) V12's at one point between my parents and us). But the newer technology makes it harder and harder to work on yourself. For example, when we looked at the Mercedes GLS - I know the air suspension was going to fail sooner then later - and I know the costs involved. I am just too busy to do maintenance at this point. The Palisade is my wife's as well. I drive a Land Rover now that we purchased new. We had our BMW Sportwagon to haul our 16ft kayak on top, that is what we traded in on the Palisade. Not putting it on top of the Palisade- so will need to get a trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts