Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Every magazine that rates cars and trucks consistently rates the Telluride above the Palisade. Even Consumer Reports rates the Telly at #1. 3 row SUV and the Pali as #4? WTF? They are exactly the same vehicle. A few different bends in the sheet metal and some different pieces in the interior, they are exactly the same. But every article rates the Telly as better. For the first time I believe CR is taking money as are the other magazines. They all say that the Telly front is inspired by Land Rover. Is that supposed to be a compliment? I'd say the Telly's front end looks dated and the Pali's looks like the future. Some go as far to say that the Telly handles better in rough terrain. They are the same. Our interior is the future. Anyone that says the Telly's looks better, is taking money, or something. I'd say the Pali looks like the future and the Telly is for people who can't see it.

BTW, most YouTube videos put the Pali ahead of the Telly!

Registered
I think they factor in costs and based on what you are given standard versus upgrades/money the Kia is the "better buy". But it's a kia... 馃槅

I much rather have the Palisade and Hyundai/Genesis affiliation than Kia... Though that Stinger is quite nice.

Super Moderator
I think the Telluride got a lot of praise because it was the first one out.
It sold more than the Palisade the first year of the palisade, because it
was out for the whole year and Palisade was only out part of the year
Everyone says it gets extra points for looking rugged. I don't know in a
parking lot it just looks like every other SUV there.
Palisade looks more like the luxury class SUV's, but that doesn't get
as many points because SUV's should look like they are rugged off
rode vehicles.
I liked a few of the features on the Telluride over the Palisade
I liked a lot more of the features of the Palisade over the Telluride
They compare a Telluride without self leveling rear suspension to a
Palisade with the self leveling suspension and say it rides smoother
I agree pay extra for the self leveling shocks on the Telluride and
they ride the same. Others have compared the ride of a Telluride with
18" wheels to a Palisade with 20" wheels. Yup the Telluride soaked up
the bumps better.
Most of the things I liked better on the Telluride I no longer like better
once I got used to the Palisade.
It really came down to digital dash cluster, power third row seats,
plenty of space on the center console for storage and placement.
Or folding mirrors and a stick shift. I now like the push buttons
better than the stick

Registered
I primarily use CR for their databases such as used vehicle repair history, owner satisfaction surveys, vehicle stats, etc, and put very little into their own subjective assessments. I get the impression that a lot of copy and pasting from past assessments is the norm for that group as I have personally seen almost identical write ups on vehicles in which the manufacturer made some substantial improvements on the newer model. I rarely read auto magazine reviews anymore because of bias. It is extremely difficult to get unbiased reviews on many consumer products, including automobiles. I personally tried both the Pali and Telluride and found them to be extremely similar in driving experience. I chose the Pali primarily based on local dealership reputation. I found from a features/ design/ aethetics perspective, a slight nod to the Pali. Both appeared to be excellent vehicles, and I must say I am still very much in the honeymoon stage in my approx 3 months of Palisade ownership.

Registered
First post here :)

I have been considering trading in my 2011 Sorento and zeroed in on 2, possibly 3 cars - Palisade, Telluride, Sorento.

I was looking at another Sorento, and not a traditional 3rd row SUV since the kids are grown and I don't drive much as it is.

But I decided to give the Telly a look since I read so many things about it, and then looked at the Palisade, and I'm with OP, I don't see how the Telly gets so much more love than the Palisade.

Although a nice SUV, I don't care for the Telly's boxy look, and the interior is def subpar when compared to the Palisade. It's like night and day. I love everything about the Palisade, and in researching the vehicles, someone said between the two, it comes down to personal preference, with the Telly being "sporty", while the Palisade is more luxury. It just looks like a $60k truck.

I'm debating when to go to the dealer, either President's Day, or wait until the end of Q1. Looking for a Calligraphy, and I was attracted to the Moonlight Cloud, but the White looks really high end.

Registered
I agree 100%. The only thing I thought looked better on the Telluride were the rims on the high end model in the US (which I don't think were on the Canadian version anyway). Everything on the interior and exterior other than that, I like much better on the Palisade. (Even the new Calligraphy rims are growing on me now that I own it)

Registered
It comes down to styling I think. I personally do like the boxier styling of the Telluride. Boxier styling is getting more popular as people are getting tired of the more flowing lines of current SUVs. The Palisade definetly is more "curvy" when compared to the Telluride, though it does look sharp on its own.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I think the Telluride got a lot of praise because it was the first one out.
It sold more than the Palisade the first year of the palisade, because it
was out for the whole year and Palisade was only out part of the year
Everyone says it gets extra points for looking rugged. I don't know in a
parking lot it just looks like every other SUV there.
Palisade looks more like the luxury class SUV's, but that doesn't get
as many points because SUV's should look like they are rugged off
rode vehicles.
I liked a few of the features on the Telluride over the Palisade
I liked a lot more of the features of the Palisade over the Telluride
They compare a Telluride without self leveling rear suspension to a
Palisade with the self leveling suspension and say it rides smoother
I agree pay extra for the self leveling shocks on the Telluride and
they ride the same. Others have compared the ride of a Telluride with
18" wheels to a Palisade with 20" wheels. Yup the Telluride soaked up
the bumps better.
Most of the things I liked better on the Telluride I no longer like better
once I got used to the Palisade.
It really came down to digital dash cluster, power third row seats,
plenty of space on the center console for storage and placement.
Or folding mirrors and a stick shift. I now like the push buttons
better than the stick
Finally another believer in the push buttons which I've always said are the best!

Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
Honestly, I think they downgrade every vehicle with a push button shifter (they mention it on all of the cars with it now) and I think they feel the Palisade has lower reliability than the Telluride in the first year. I'm pretty sure they had the Palisade rated higher a few months ago and I think the drop is because of perceived (or real?) reliability issues.

Although we originally zeroed in on the Telly, I am so glad we went with the Palisade. If I could get a similarly equipped Telluride for the same price as the Palisade, I'd chose the Pali all day and all night. I love mine.

Registered
I also like the Palisade over the Telluride for the fact that it has amber turn signals over the all red ones of the Kia. I don't know why but that is just a big selling point for me as I don't know why some US cars have red turn signals when the amber ones are so much more visible and I think they look better too.

I think in this day and age it is so hard to find out if the information you are getting on anything is biased or not. I know my wife and I watched every single Palisade and Telluride review on YouTube before buying our Palisade.

Registered
While I do love my Palisade, I can see why many consumers might prefer the telluride's exterior styling- it is a little bit more On-Trend and edgey and the Pali is quite a bit more conservative. That said, aside from those cool center console grab handles in the Telluride (and a real shifter) the Pali is just so much nicer inside. I just spent almost 13 weeks living out of my SEL on a 15K road/camping trip, and I have a lot of respect for this machine now!

Registered
We have both a Hyundai Palisade and a Kia Sedona. For me the decision was easy - our one and only Kia dealer for 100 miles absolutely sucks. They do things half-way and use high pressure tactics to get you to buy unneeded services. Even went so far as to threaten to void my factory warranty if I didn't follow their recommendations instead of those in the owners manual. Our Hyundai dealer has been upfront, easy to deal with and has taken good care of us for the 15 months we've had our Palisade. Can't wait for the 2021 Santa Fe to get here so we can dump the Sedona.

Registered
I also like the Palisade over the Telluride for the fact that it has amber turn signals over the all red ones of the Kia. I don't know why but that is just a big selling point for me as I don't know why some US cars have red turn signals when the amber ones are so much more visible and I think they look better too.

I think in this day and age it is so hard to find out if the information you are getting on anything is biased or not. I know my wife and I watched every single Palisade and Telluride review on YouTube before buying our Palisade.
Its funny because I hear this a lot, but growing up in the 80s/90s red (or even clear) turn signals were the sign of being "modern". Ambers were hated. Funny how its come back around.

Registered
Honestly, I think they downgrade every vehicle with a push button shifter (they mention it on all of the cars with it now) and I think they feel the Palisade has lower reliability than the Telluride in the first year. I'm pretty sure they had the Palisade rated higher a few months ago and I think the drop is because of perceived (or real?) reliability issues.

Although we originally zeroed in on the Telly, I am so glad we went with the Palisade. If I could get a similarly equipped Telluride for the same price as the Palisade, I'd chose the Pali all day and all night. I love mine.
I completely agree. It's the pushbutton shifter (which an examination of CR auto reviews will confirm). I was so annoyed with the positive language used in the Telluride CR review compared to the neutral or pejorative language in the Pali review for the same exact features that I wrote them, suggesting the editor needed to audit the reviews - never got a response. I cannot fathom how any professional car person can compare the two vehicles and come out with Telluride on top. BTW, I have no brand bias; loved my Sorento and kept it seven years.

Registered
I have the hyper white SEL for the last 13 months absolutely love it totally impressed. And most recently in 60 mile an hour gusts on the open highway and she drove rocksolid. Open road gas mileage over 30 miles to the gallon could not be happier. And yes so much more luxurious interior. Here鈥檚 a scream I had a push button 64 Dodge dart.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I completely agree. It's the pushbutton shifter (which an examination of CR auto reviews will confirm). I was so annoyed with the positive language used in the Telluride CR review compared to the neutral or pejorative language in the Pali review for the same exact features that I wrote them, suggesting the editor needed to audit the reviews - never got a response. I cannot fathom how any professional car person can compare the two vehicles and come out with Telluride on top. BTW, I have no brand bias; loved my Sorento and kept it seven years.
$$$$

Registered
Every magazine that rates cars and trucks consistently rates the Telluride above the Palisade. Even Consumer Reports rates the Telly at #1. 3 row SUV and the Pali as #4? WTF? They are exactly the same vehicle. A few different bends in the sheet metal and some different pieces in the interior, they are exactly the same. But every article rates the Telly as better. For the first time I believe CR is taking money as are the other magazines. They all say that the Telly front is inspired by Land Rover. Is that supposed to be a compliment? I'd say the Telly's front end looks dated and the Pali's looks like the future. Some go as far to say that the Telly handles better in rough terrain. They are the same. Our interior is the future. Anyone that says the Telly's looks better, is taking money, or something. I'd say the Pali looks like the future and the Telly is for people who can't see it.

BTW, most YouTube videos put the Pali ahead of the Telly!
I think you have to take CR with a grain of salt. I have had my Pali SEL for a little over a year now and love it. It is the fourth Hyundai we have bought. I never looked at the Teluride. Mainly because when we had our two Santa Fe鈥檚 we drove in a friends Sorrento and we realized how much better the Santa Fe felt on the road. I remember CR saying that the Pali wasn鈥檛 鈥渘imble.鈥 Now this car is over 5,000 lbs. Nimble isn鈥檛 a word I would pick. I do know that I have had to put my Pali through emergency maneuvers and it has performed admirably. Good braking, steering, and lots of power. What more could you want? And..... I am embarrassed to say, that I have named my Palisade. The only car that I have named and my wife and I have had more than 50 cars between us over the years.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts