Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
This has been covered many times. AWD does not change the level of grip on each tire. It just gives you 4 tires that can pull.

AWD keeps you from getting stuck and moving in a straight line generally (no matter the car).

Snow tires and to somewhat less extent Mountain Snow rated ALL Weather tires [look for snow flake symbol on side wall] (Not All Season) provide much better grip on snow and ice and thus much safer better handling/Breaking.

* Cars are not always going in a straight line on level roads. * Breaking not helped at all without Snow or All weather tires.

With Snow and to an extent ALL Weather your much less likely to slip around on snowy/icy roads. Can save your life and your car.

New Tech in All Weather tires Like greatly rated Michelin Cross Climate are a reasonable lower effort/ non tire swapping substitute (legal in Canada where they should know).

If you want the best for Snow dedicated Snows still best, but new All Weather can work well. Like everything have to decide effort/cost/risk and conditions/environment your in.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Calligraphy, Hyper White Exterior with Light Beige Interior
212 Posts
This has been covered many times. AWD does not change the level of grip on each tire. It just gives you 4 tires that can pull.

AWD keeps you from getting stuck and moving in a straight line generally (no matter the car).

Snow tires and to somewhat less extent Mountain Snow rated ALL Weather tires [look for snow flake symbol on side wall] (Not All Season) provide much better grip on snow and ice and thus much safer better handling.

* Cars are not always going in a straight line on level roads. *

With Snow and to an extent ALL Weather your much less likely to slip around on snowy/icy roads. Can save your life and your car.

New Tech in All Weather tires Like greatly rated Michelin Cross Climate are a reasonable lower effort/ non tire swapping substitute (legal in Canada where they should know).

If you want the best for Snow dedicated Snows still best, but new All Weather can work well. Like everything have to decide effort/cost/risk and conditions/environment your in.
I can always count on the first car I see every year that slid off the snowy road will be a Mustang or similar car. The next will be a “4 wheel drive” people seem to think that they corner and/or stop better because they’re 4 wheel drive. Surprised and baffled that it just doesn’t work that way.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade SEL Moonlight Cloud
225 Posts
Was very impressed with the AWD Palisade in snow mode with Hankook tires. The snow mode made accelerations very smooth. Only thing I didn't much care for but I understand why, when you stop it changes snow mode to comfort mode and you have to remember to put it back in snow mode when you start back up again.

That being said, I was trying to mess around with it and get the Palisade to slide and I was impressed how hard it was... then I realized I was in comfort mode. 🤣

I was on mostly dry roads but some of them were 100% ice covered this morning.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Assuming you had no cause for emergency breaking or making sharp turns either of which would typically cause alot of issues without snow rated tires?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Snow tires and to somewhat less extent Mountain Snow rated ALL Weather tires [look for snow flake symbol on side wall] (Not All Season) provide much better grip on snow and ice and thus much safer better handling/Breaking.

* Cars are not always going in a straight line on level roads. * Breaking not helped at all without Snow or All weather tires.

Recently replaced the Hancooks with Crossclimate 2 tires (as noted in other posts). The improvement in snow performance is beyond description! Easily handled 4-6 inches of unplowed snow last week. Braking and cornering are incredible whereas the Hancooks were very squirrelly with barely and inch and under 15MPH driving. I was even able to drive up our 10% sloped yard with 8 inches of snow with no drama and little activation from traction control (I should e made a video). On dry pavement handling is great and no increased tire noise was noticed (56 dB sound level at 65MPH recorded). Best investment thus far for palisade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Recently replaced the Hancooks with Crossclimate 2 tires (as noted in other posts). The improvement in snow performance is beyond description! Easily handled 4-6 inches of unplowed snow last week. Braking and cornering are incredible whereas the Hancooks were very squirrelly with barely and inch and under 15MPH driving. I was even able to drive up our 10% sloped yard with 8 inches of snow with no drama and little activation from traction control (I should e made a video). On dry pavement handling is great and no increased tire noise was noticed (56 dB sound level at 65MPH recorded). Best investment thus far for palisade.
Glad to hear the performance is worth the price. We had show in the Denver area recently and snow mode did help but I could really tell I was driving a midsized SUV especially when stopping. I don't travel into the mountains much so I bought chains as a cost savings and just slow down and leave plenty of space. However, if I did more diving in snow and ice you couldn't pay me ton keep the stock tires for winter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear the performance is worth the price. We had show in the Denver area recently and snow mode did help but I could really tell I was driving a midsized SUV especially when stopping. I don't travel into the mountains much so I bought chains as a cost savings and just slow down and leave plenty of space. However, if I did more diving in snow and ice you couldn't pay me ton keep the stock tires for winter.
The Hankooks in my experience are a disaster in snow! I mean…….I tested them out in a parking lot with 1 measly inch of snow and I was horrified! Acceleration was ”ok” due to HTRAC but stopping and cornering at 10 to 15 MPH was awful! I went to TireRack.com website which is a great tire review site and their winter testing of the Hankooks matched my experience. In their winter test it took close to 115 feet for the Hancooks to stop from 25 MPH!!! Comparatively, the cross-climate 2s took just over 50 feet! Crossclimate 2s are not cheap but it’s great insurance and assurance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't forget that AWD, regardless of which tires you use, mainly assist in getting the vehicle moving. It could be argued that stopping is more important than accelerating and all cars whether front, rear or AWD have four wheel brakes. The only thing that will enhance stopping power on snow/ice is winter tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't forget that AWD, regardless of which tires you use, mainly assist in getting the vehicle moving. It could be argued that stopping is more important than accelerating and all cars whether front, rear or AWD have four wheel brakes. The only thing that will enhance stopping power on snow/ice is winter tires.
100% correct! This is the reason why the majority of vehicles ‘spun out’ on highway medians are 4x4 pickup trucks, Jeep Wranglers, etc.,. A 4x4 or awd system can give a driver a false sense of security when they can feel no wheel spin during acceleration. Drivers of FWD or RWD can feel slippage and know roads are icy. The overconfident guy in the full size pickup with regular All Terrain tires ‘will’ have that ‘stomach churning’ moment once brakes are applied……… Driving behavior and skill is probably just as if not more important than a good set of winters or ‘All-weather’ tires and awd system. A knucklehead zipping down a highway with a half foot of snow at 60+ MPH will not be saved even when outfitted with the best Nokian, Blizzak, Ice-X or whatever studded snow tires!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts