Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter, in Denver, is taking delivery of an AWD 2022 Calligraphy model. She is a bit concerned about its performance in the winter as she goes to Breckenridge quite a bit and she never had a chance for a test drive because there's been no snow there . My question, for those of you who have the AWD and have had a chance to drive in snow and other winter conditions. hoe does it perform. Any info or advice would be very helpful and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would suggest you perform a search on this topic since it has been discussed by the forum members. As I recall, most feedback from members in western mountain regions was positive.

I am fortunate to be retired now so I can’t really weigh in on this subject. My Palisade stays in the garage when conditions are not good. The very few times I have had to venture out, I found it to be solid and predictable.

·
Super Moderator
2,134 Posts
performance in snow is good with OEM tires but really good with snow tires.
just search on here for "snow tires"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry my question was in regards to the AWD model of Limited or Calligraphy .Another question, I assume you don't need snow tires in the AWD model?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I assume you don't need snow tires in the AWD model?
One can get by on all-season tires, but they will feel noticeably more slippery on frozen surfaces due to the harder rubber compound.

I once cheaped out by using all-season tires on a Santa Fe AWD. Never again. The average front-wheel drive car with winter tires has better grip than AWD + all-season tires.

·
Registered
2022 Palisade SEL AWD
6 Posts
One can get by on all-season tires, but they will feel noticeably more slippery on frozen surfaces due to the harder rubber compound.

I once cheaped out by using all-season tires on a Santa Fe AWD. Never again. The average front-wheel drive car with winter tires has better grip than AWD + all-season tires.
This.

All-season tires are inferior for both traction and stoppage. Check out any number of snow tire vs. all-season tire comparisons in snow on YouTube. I’d recommend getting snow tires if she will be driving in snow & ice often.

On my 2022 SEL AWD I’ve put Blizzaks and so far no issue on black ice (Lake Tahoe), but not much snow yet this season…

·
Registered
2021 Palisade SEL Moonlight Cloud
228 Posts
Personally, I've only ever driven on all-season tires in sedans, some of them with mostly bald tires. I'll looking forward to seeing how AWD works with Hankook tires in snow. 🤣

(On a side note, it's like record warm this year. We saw some snow flakes in October and we might get a slight dusting next week. I was grilling in flip flops last night.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made the drive between Denver and Winter Park 5 days a week for a few months in winter and spring and I will say that winter tires will made a significantly bigger difference than AWD or 4x4 ever did. AWD might help you get going but snow tires are what help you stay in control and stop. I'm personally partial to the Crossclimate 2.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh sorry my question was in regards to the AWD model of Limited or Calligraphy .Another question, I assume you don't need snow tires in the AWD model?
Even with AWD cars, snow tires would make the biggest difference. For Iowa winter last year, my AWD Calligraphy with Stock tires did just fine but for CO conditions, snow tires will do good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents for the Continental Viking 3 winter tires, which I just used yesterday in our first snowfall.

Pros: Excellent snow grip under acceleration and cornering. Surprisingly good ride, handling and low noise on dry pavement... virtually no compromise compared to the OEM all-season tires.
Cons: As with all winter tires you won't notice a huge improvement in stopping distances in mild, slushy conditions. Deep freeze is where winter tires really make the difference.

Overall a good pick for people who want snow tires but don't want the noise and the floaty handling. Gets high ratings, and the price is right too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter, in Denver, is taking delivery of an AWD 2022 Calligraphy model. She is a bit concerned about its performance in the winter as she goes to Breckenridge quite a bit and she never had a chance for a test drive because there's been no snow there . My question, for those of you who have the AWD and have had a chance to drive in snow and other winter conditions. hoe does it perform. Any info or advice would be very helpful and thanks in advance.
FWIW, we have a 2021 Limited AWD. Took delivery Feb 2021 just before a road trip from Socal to Steamboat. The Palisade was great through a snow storm in UT and I will say that I got to test out everything including the locking diff on a really tight and snowy mountain back roads. Did this all with the stock tires, but since we are spending more time in the mountains I am likely to get a full set of winter wheels and tires. I'll probably drop to 18" Wheels to get a cushier ride.

But, to answer your question, the Palisade was perfectly fine in the snow. It'll be even better with the winter wheel/tire setup. I also carry chains for all 4 wheels at all times just in case things get real bad, or if certain roads require them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This.

All-season tires are inferior for both traction and stoppage. Check out any number of snow tire vs. all-season tire comparisons in snow on YouTube. I’d recommend getting snow tires if she will be driving in snow & ice often.

On my 2022 SEL AWD I’ve put Blizzaks and so far no issue on black ice (Lake Tahoe), but not much snow yet this season…

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2020 Limited palisade driving was good in the snow but stopping was not would recommend new tires from what came with the vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Palisade LTD
7 Posts
I am in NYC and have had the limited for 1.5yrs. Tires make all of the difference for sure but there is a lock button which enables the center joint to engage all 4 wheels in low gear. This is great for getting out of snow jams or slippery roads. I use it as needed in the city and have never had an issue with leaving or entering a spot.

It's only engaged up to 25mph, at which point it seamlessly disengages, so there is no cruising or highway speeds for this feature.

Oh, and due to some dude slashing all four of my factory tires, I ended up purchasing Michelin Primacy tires. They're softer on the ride (vs Bridgestone) and have a better bite on the road.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White / Black
40 Posts

I’m in Wisconsin with the AWD 2021 Calligraphy and had a few chances now to try it out in the snow.. Hyundai’s AWD really works great, and below 25MPH I have the option to use the differential lock which is great.. Now it’s not a lifted pickup truck, Jeep or Bronco but it’s not an off road vehicle but it certainly in my opinion out performs the other SUV’s in this class such as the Explorer or GM makes.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White / Black
40 Posts
I’m in Wisconsin with the AWD 2021 Calligraphy and had a few chances now to try it out in the snow.. Hyundai’s AWD really works great, and below 25MPH I have the option to use the differential lock which is great.. Now it’s not a lifted pickup truck, Jeep or Bronco but it’s not an off road vehicle but it certainly in my opinion out performs the other SUV’s in this class such as the Explorer or GM makes.

P.S. Consider putting winter tires on during the winter months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sir, I appreciate your concern on the vehicle driving in snow,but despite the fact that it is AWD,you are driving in snow,no ifs ands or buts,I used to be a tech at a large bmw dealership,but people need to realize that even if the vehicle has AWD or four wheel drive,they do get stuck,end of story
I have seen many people feel overly secure ,and loose respect for the conditions they are driving in, I myself have a 2011 Buick lacrosse with AWD, I have never gotten stuck,at All,I actually hate snow,when my fiancee Betty saw the Palisades, I read the reviews on it, roasted it,and liked it,she actually wanted a Ford explorer,I said ,no way,I don't think I helped much ,there are a few different drive modes in the Palisades,like snow, performance,eco ,and to put it in H mode which locks the vehicle to get it in stuck I do believe
Hope this helps,but the main word is with snow is respect for it, have a great holiday

·
Registered
12 Posts
We owned a 2000 Limited AWD in Colorado for 2 years. No problem with the ability of the AWD system. ACTUALLY, I WOULD CALL IT EXCELLENT. Her new Calligraphy will be deep snow limited by the OEM tires. If she does not plan on deep snow off road, she will be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We’re also in the Denver area and new palisade owners. I’ve been contemplating the same thing. This video was interesting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts