Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, never tried it before apart from selecting it then deselecting it. But now that it’s snowing in Canada I though let’s turn it on and leave it. Only thing is it seems to switch off every time you park up car after use after restarting vehicle? Why can’t the snow mode just stay on until you decide you don’t want it? Seems a pain in the neck alway having to reselect the mode every time you get back in vehicle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not downplaying your otherwise valid complaint, but just to play a little bit of devil's advocate: If that were the default behavior (persistent snow mode), we can 100% guarantee someone, somewhere out there, would conversely complain - "I accidentally kept my snow mode on. Why can't it default back to regular mode on its own, seems a pain in the neck always having to double check which mode I'm in, etc. etc."

FWIW, I think Eco/Smart/Comfort are the only modes that is "persistent" after turning off the car. Sport mode doesn't stay on either, and honestly, I kinda understand the logic here: Sport and Snow modes are, for the most part, situational; in my mind, it would make sense for it to revert back to a more "normal"/"everyday" mode upon starting up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was testing recently the modes myself since we had some snow in the North East. By the time i ventured out there was a pretty mild amount of snow/wet/ice left.... That said here is my advice. ** Leave in Smart most of the time.** The Palisade will use 4 wheel drive when appropriate, and every other mode based on how you're driving and traction needed.

-I actually monitored the amount of power going to each wheel from the center display that tells the proportion of power going to each wheel (its 4 bar graphs, 1 at each wheel) when cycling through display info on center instrument dash screen (only have SEL (so perhaps Limited/Premium may have some of this info replicated on AV display).

-The auto reset out of Sport and Snow is for some combination of fuel efficiency and wear and tear prevention. If there is a serious amount of snow then by all means use Snow mode. I am sure someone or some site did much more complete testing (snow vs. smart, etc.). But basically as soon as the car senses the need for more traction its doing what's needed. In my observation of the display 4 wheel drive was being used just as much in both modes. Naturally you also have the locked differential for full time 4 wheeling. Have not used that. I am sure will get plenty more snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your replies and do see what you are saying. But when winter hits up here it’s snow covered road for months not just a few hours and would off been nice to stick it in snow mode then turn it off when spring comes around. Just like the truck winter comes 4wH selected for winter then back to 2wd in spring. I did notice that sport mode switches back as well. Maybe I should try smart mode although I understand it takes a while driving to select your style. So unless I’m on a long journey then I don't think my journeys are long enough for it to decide. (live in a small town). Seems like same argument folk are having over the auto start. Would off been nice to have a setting in menu to turn somethings on or off ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I appreciate your replies and do see what you are saying. But when winter hits up here it’s snow covered road for months not just a few hours and would off been nice to stick it in snow mode then turn it off when spring comes around. Just like the truck winter comes 4wH selected for winter then back to 2wd in spring. I did notice that sport mode switches back as well. Maybe I should try smart mode although I understand it takes a while driving to select your style. So unless I’m on a long journey then I don't think my journeys are long enough for it to decide. (live in a small town). Seems like same argument folk are having over the auto start. Would off been nice to have a setting in menu to turn somethings on or off ?
Smart Mode isn't some long-term habit-learning thing. It looks at the last few minutes/seconds of driving. You can see see it by showing the drive mode on the dashboard:

Credit for the picture to a user on another forum who also had a question about this.

Smart Mode means Comfort Mode by default. If you start to drive more aggressively, the bar will start filling up red towards the right. When it's full, it switches to sport mode. Once your driving reverts back to something more "normal", it switches back to Comfort. Similarly, if you drive economically, the bar fills up green towards the left. When it's full, it switches to eco mode. Drive a little more aggressively and it will go back to Comfort.

As far as snow mode goes, even if you live in an area with a lot of snow for weeks/months on end, surely main roads do get cleaned. I get a fair amount of snow where I'm at and I drive a FWD car with no issues (my wife drives the Palisade), even on roads that haven't been cleaned yet. You don't really need to be in snow mode for that. The main purpose of it is to get the car moving when starting from a dead stop. If the roads are good enough to get above 25mph, it's likely not needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it’s snowed for 50 plus hours so tried out the wife’s vehicle today in the snow. Got to say I was impressed. In snow mode in acted like a rwd vehicle to a certain extent, back end was kicking out with throttle control but could still feel all wheels gripping. Not that much understeer which I was surprised. Once into deeper stuff about 20“ deep it never got stuck once. Plenty grip on straight lines but could feel the vehicle trying to slide out but that would be me being to aggressive with throttle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds promising rarely get that much in Westchester NY. What tires do the CA cars come with? Was yours rolling on 18 or 20?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds promising rarely get that much in Westchester NY. What tires do the CA cars come with? Was yours rolling on 18 or 20?
It came with 20’ with all season tires . I’d figure same tires as US. We bought 18” steel wheels and stuck on hankook I pike snow tires with bigger walls to make up space but didn’t bother with studs. Seems to be as much fun as my old f150 in the snow but easier to get straight and stop ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks so your "adventure" were on the Hankook. -So you went with 60 series for the 18s Hankook?

SE/SEL in the states come with 245/60/R18 Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS and SEL Convenience package and up come on 245/50/R20 Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS.

Honestly, think 18/60s are a better size all around, but a lot of people like the look of the 20 with 50 series. In my very limited testing of the Telluride EX and a couple of Palisade I liked the 18/60s better.

Kind of makes sense since all the cars are shipped from same place they might source the same tires. I just thought perhaps for certain climates they might change things up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so your "adventure" were on the Hankook. -So you went with 60 series for the 18s Hankook?

SE/SEL in the states come with 245/60/R18 Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS and SEL Convenience package and up come on 245/50/R20 Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS.

Honestly, think 18/60s are a better size all around, but a lot of people like the look of the 20 with 50 series. In my very limited testing of the Telluride EX and a couple of Palisade I liked the 18/60s better.

Kind of makes sense since all the cars are shipped from same place they might source the same tires. I just thought perhaps for certain climates they might change things up.
I’d have to look, the 20” alloys and tires are in storage at dealers (saved hauling them 1.5 hrs back to house). Not sure what rubbers on them apart from they are all seasons. The 20’s do look great on the car but was easier to get steel wheels for winter and more selection with winters on 18”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts