Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right so we just bought a hyundai palisade calligraphy on labor day and when we test drove it there was no smell. Once hubby got it home we noticed this awful smell. Smells kind of like BO and garlic mix. It is an awful smell that airing out has not helped. We left the windows opened trying to air it out (it still stinks) and the garage smelled of it. Is there an actual fix for this? The suggestions we've seen online seem like nothing helps. I love the car but we aren't paying almost 50 thousand for an awful smelling car.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have you made an appointment with the dealer?

There is no reported fix yet, but some dealers are ordering new headrests. Some of the replacement headrests have also had the stink though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
All right so we just bought a hyundai palisade calligraphy on labor day and when we test drove it there was no smell. Once hubby got it home we noticed this awful smell. Smells kind of like BO and garlic mix. It is an awful smell that airing out has not helped. We left the windows opened trying to air it out (it still stinks) and the garage smelled of it. Is there an actual fix for this? The suggestions we've seen online seem like nothing helps. I love the car but we aren't paying almost 50 thousand for an awful smelling car.
Read this long thread in the General Discussion forum: Unpleasant Interior Odor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you made an appointment with the dealer?

There is no reported fix yet, but some dealers are ordering new headrests. Some of the replacement headrests have also had the stink though.
So it is the headrests? Because we've seen posts that say it is and some say it isn't and is the seats themselves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So it is the headrests? Because we've seen posts that say it is and some say it isn't and is the seats themselves.
Only 1 way to find out and that is to remove the headrests. Saw one person who said it took like 10 days for the smell to go away in the vehicle, after the headrests were removed. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon, so you can enjoy your new vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh boy. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with this. I have a new Calligraphy on order and should be getting it in about two weeks. I hope I don’t have to deal with this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
we picked up our car Dec 2019. I noticed that the traditional new car smell was not there, the elegant leather smell was not there. But We have not found the lack of smell or some other odor overwhelming. Ive treated the leather w Zaino. The Palisade leather just doesnt seem like high quality leather. They advertise it as nappa leather but it almost seems like pleather. Too plasticky to be the good stuff. I wonder if anyone has taken the leather apart to see if it's even top grain leather or is it just bonded leather or vinyl. If it's not top grain leather and it's some type of pleather, then that would jive with the lack of the leather aroma.
My 2013 car with full leather still has the leather smell and the texture/feel is what i expected the Palisade to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am seriously considering the pallisades limited or calligraphy and this thing is a BUMMER
It seems the limited and calligraphy are the ones that people complain about the smell. Of course we had no idea before buying it or we would have waited for a telluride. We have gotten some charcoal bags off Amazon to see if it helps. However, we think when the AC is on thats when it gets really bad. So hubby is going to try changing the cabin filter spraying some febreze and see if that helps. Good luck. It is a nice car if your lucky to get one that doesn't smell. However, it doesn't always smell right away so it's tough to know if you'll get one that stinks. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that was fun reading all 21 pages of that long thread. So I’m going to speak to my dealership tomorrow before I take order of my car and find out where they are at with this but it seems from the thread that quite a few people had success using this: Amazon.com: Biocide Systems 3213 Auto Shocker Interior Odor Eliminator: Biocide Systems: Automotive.
Good luck. Most dealerships deny its even an issue. Seems like it's mostly the limited and calligraphy editions. This was an issue on the 2019 cars and ours is calligraphy 2021 and still has the issue. Clearly they haven't fixed the issue nor care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems the limited and calligraphy are the ones that people complain about the smell. Of course we had no idea before buying it or we would have waited for a telluride. We have gotten some charcoal bags off Amazon to see if it helps. However, we think when the AC is on thats when it gets really bad. So hubby is going to try changing the cabin filter spraying some febreze and see if that helps. Good luck. It is a nice car if your lucky to get one that doesn't smell. However, it doesn't always smell right away so it's tough to know if you'll get one that stinks. Very disappointed.
I hope the cabin filter change works. What is your interior color? Is it the dark brown nappa or the black nappa?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well that was fun reading all 21 pages of that long thread. So I’m going to speak to my dealership tomorrow before I take order of my car and find out where they are at with this but it seems from the thread that quite a few people had success using this: Amazon.com: Biocide Systems 3213 Auto Shocker Interior Odor Eliminator: Biocide Systems: Automotive.
I've had my Calligraphy for a couple of weeks and the new car smell is changing to a more leather like smell. I did take a close sniff of the headrests, and there is a smell coming from them that isn't like the actual seat. It's not bad yet, and hopefully it won't develop into anything. I am getting a ceramic paint treatment done on Monday, and he is going to treat all the leather surfaces with a special treatment that prevents dye transfers and makes cleaning the beige leather easier. It will be interesting to see if that stuff mitigates the oder. I will mention it to the detailer, and get him to make sure that he treats all the surfaces of the headrests. I will report back next week to see how it turns out. I'm going for a good drive today with passengers in the back seat for the first time. I will wait for the return trip, and see if they notice anything back there without giving any hints. A blind test so to speak.

Good luck at the dealership, and please let us know what he says, and what actions, if any, they do for you. BTW. What province are you in? I'm in B.C.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good luck at the dealership, and please let us know what he says, and what actions, if any, they do for you. BTW. What province are you in? I'm in B.C.
I’m in Ontario. The dealership I’m getting my car from said they had never heard of the issue which I found surprising and told them that it’s been reported quite widely including in some of the major automotive press websites. I guess I could somehow believe that cars in Canada are not getting the problem but I doubt it. If I have the issue I will try the chlorine dioxide first and it seems the way to go is to remove the headrests when you do that. It seems from everything I’ve read that it’s nothing to do with the leather. The headrests are vinyl and the smell seems to come from both the backing of the vinyl covers and possibly the foam in the headrests. Also may be coming from inside the seats and can be smelt if you take off the headrests and take a whiff through the headrest post holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m in Ontario. The dealership I’m getting my car from said they had never heard of the issue which I found surprising and told them that it’s been reported quite widely including in some of the major automotive press websites. I guess I could somehow believe that cars in Canada are not getting the problem but I doubt it. If I have the issue I will try the chlorine dioxide first and it seems the way to go is to remove the headrests when you do that. It seems from everything I’ve read that it’s nothing to do with the leather. The headrests are vinyl and the smell seems to come from both the backing of the vinyl covers and possibly the foam in the headrests. Also may be coming from inside the seats and can be smelt if you take off the headrests and take a whiff through the headrest post holes.
I went to a test drive and was able to experience the wind noise at high speeds. I reported it to the dealer and he acted surprised. I think dealers are well aware of this being a problem but wont accept it cos then it would be then their responsibility to resolve it. This was a 2020 SEL with 200 miles on it. Im sure they are aware of the smell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same odor!! I have owned my Palisade for just a little over a year now and sometimes I can still smell it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It does not go away. And correct, dealers and Hyundai USA act like they have no idea what you are talking about or act like you are the first to ever state this. Cars.com has a pending issue open regarding the model they test drove.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I sniff the headrests and seats it is not strong. But I get strong whiff of it as I enter--seems more towards center console smell on mine...I did remove headrests. Front and rear...3rd row does not come out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts