Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Palisade also smells, and I've had it since Oct 2020 (7-months). I've had it to dealer six times and treated, but it still smells. They replaced two to the six headrests but won’t replace the rest? I also filed a complaint with Hyundai, but they never gave a solution or timeline to fix the issue! Is there a lemon law or class action lawsuit available? It degrades the value of the vehicle and may limit its use for some. Finally, there is a health and safety concern! What is causing the smell and is it toxic, cancer causing or harmful. You and your family are in a confined space and may have long-term exposure to harmful outgassing while traveling. I wish someone would do air sample test!!

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
Take Palisade back to dealer, or a different dealership.
Hyundai has replaced all head rests in other Palisades
which still have the smell after the treatments.
Your dealer ship may not want to be bothered.
Call customer service complain about only 2 being replaced
and you still have the smell. Ask them to recommend a
dealership to take it to

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
80 Posts
On this webpage Technical Service Bulletins, shows all the TSBs for all Hyundai models. Select Palisade, then the year and the associated TBS will show up. There are a few for the "smell" issue.
As Gene said, ask Hyundai corporate if they can recommend another dealership to address the issues.

Addendum: as far as I have read and am aware there is no health / or safety issue. It is certainly an "annoyance".

·
Registered
3 Posts
State attorney general offices have consumer complaints departments. If there is a tsb that says they should replace headrests but simply won't do it, at some point a complaint filed with the AG office usually gets fixed by the business that usually then simply wants to clear the complaint.

Also, as for your own trouble shooting, have you thought about trying to narrow it to the headrests? Many are removable, you could lightly clean the car interior and let it air out all day etc, and pull the headrests and stick them all in separate plastic bags tied shut. Close the car up. Wait a while, then see if the car with no headrests or which separate bag with a headrest seems to stink..

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
463 Posts
There is a lawyer, Anne Reagan, working on a potential suit. I reached out to her, and have not heard back. I need to reach out again...Actually, just looked it up and sounds like they only filed on behalf of two parties, not sure why.

‘It Stinks’: New Hyundai Palisade SUVs Plagued by ‘Strong Foul Odor’ Inside Vehicle, Class Action Alleges
It has to be deemed by the courts as a class action first and then they'll start soliciting for more parties. They'll definitely represent everyone they can, but in reality it only requires one initial party to start the class action lawsuit. This article says just proposed for now. Once it is approved, then others will join.

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
80 Posts
I would immediately sell the vehicle then if you are truly convinced your health is in jeopardy. Do so immediately and not take any chances!

Use CarMax to sell that clunker, you will get you a check, right quick - https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Palisade also smells, and I've had it since Oct 2020 (7-months). I've had it to dealer six times and treated, but it still smells. They replaced two to the six headrests but won’t replace the rest? I also filed a complaint with Hyundai, but they never gave a solution or timeline to fix the issue! Is there a lemon law or class action lawsuit available? It degrades the value of the vehicle and may limit its use for some. Finally, there is a health and safety concern! What is causing the smell and is it toxic, cancer causing or harmful. You and your family are in a confined space and may have long-term exposure to harmful outgassing while traveling. I wish someone would do air sample test!!
Have had my vehicle since Jan 2020. AWD Limited - White with beige interior. The smell is soooooo bad I do not drive it anymore unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I get extremely ill whenever I have been in the vehicle (nausea, headaches, dizziness). I leave the windows and sunroof open in my garage whenever I am not using it. Took it to the dealer several times in 2020. They acknowledged the smell but could not find the source. I contacted Hyundai, and they said they were aware of the problem and would let me know when they had a fix. They never contacted me. I reached out again in April and saw SEVERAL articles regarding they had found a fix. Hmmm. Took to dealer and they were not aware of the TSB. AND... they could not give me an appointment for another 7 weeks. I removed all of the headrests and put them in a bag. I returned to the dealer with the bag of headrests. They took one whiff and said they would work on the headrests right away. I also left them the vehicle because the TSB requires them to put the chemicals and air fresheners in the seats as well. After 2 1/2 weeks (and no loaner vehicle) they finally completed the TSB, and they tell me the car still smells. Dealership is now contacting the "tech line" to see what to do next. (Still no loaner vehicle) I was told the usual protocol is to provide new headrests, but I was also told that the new headrests are not any better than the ones I have. Ugh. I guess the next step for me is to see a lemon law attorney.

Regarding the air sample test... you can get one at Homeaircheck.com and perform the test yourself. It is quick and easy and you get the results within one week. Just be sure to remove everything out of your car so you do not influence the test with any other items, ie air fresheners, hand sanitizer, etc. Oh, I also took my vehicle in to the dealership in Feb 2020 regarding the wind noise. There was a TSB for it, but the TSB was cancelled. The dealership said there was nothing they could do. One year later (March 2021) there is a new TSB for the wind noise, but again, I have to wait until the end of June to have it worked on due to low personnel at the dealership. Ugh again. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts