Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Steel-Graphite Limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my wife was backing out of the garage and clipped the passenger side mirror on garage door rail and broke the mirror off the mount. As I figured and read about, this was gonna be an expensive repair because you have to buy the a whole new mirror assembly with the blind spot camera, and all the other electronics. All in all, it's going to cost close to $2000 to repair and debating dealing with insurance or not? I know I can try and do it myself and save about $500 by buying the part online and then sending out to get painted but I do not have the time nor expertise to remove door panel and recalibration of camera.

Any idea on how much my insurance premium (USAA) will go up or if it will go up at all? I've been lucky and haven't ever filled an auto insurance claim before so have no idea?

Here are some photos to cringe over. First dent or door ding is tough on a new car? ☹

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
That side view mirror looks like it only suffered broken pins. Do you know a good general Fix It person? Likely could be restored at a very reasonable price and without an insurance claim. Depending on the insurance riders you have, and your driver and claim history you may not see a premium increase.

·
Registered
2020 Steel-Graphite Limited
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That side view mirror looks like it only suffered broken pins. Do you know a good general Fix It person? Likely could be restored at a very reasonable price and without an insurance claim. Depending on the insurance riders you have, and your driver and claim history you may not see a premium increase.
Talked to two collision body shops and they both said that a new mirror assembly with all electronics would need to be purchased. They said that once it breaks completely off like this that it's not fixable. On thurs, I dropped off car at local shop my insurance recommend and picked it up Friday. Looks like new again and they were able to use the old painted mirror cap so no painting was necessary and I had them keep all the parts from damaged mirror so I coul have spare parts, which I hope I'll never need? I also wanted to see all the interior parts and what exactly broke inside mount. I saw what looks like a pin top cap that had cracked off that's on top of some sort of tension spring?

Anyways, glad it's looking normal again and power folding mirrors sure would come in handy for tight situations like this? Final cost after labor and parts to fix was $1800 ☹

·
Registered
80 Posts
It’s great hear that this unfortunate incident has been been resolved to your satisfaction, It’s the route I would have also taken with a new vehicle.
I just thought in looking at the damage to the mirror and not knowing your insurance specifics, that a good general fix it person could have restored the damaged light. I have a seasonal property in a beautiful yet very remote area and over the years I have made repairs to various items that otherwise would have become a problem due to the remoteness, parts not being available, etc.. I enjoy working with my hands and have set up work shops to fabricate parts to make thing work again. The type of repair I was thinking about would not be economic for a service centre but rather a person who enjoys a good challenge. Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts