Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Palisade was my first taste of self driving. I'm sure by now that everyone has tried it and formed opinions about self driving. Our Palis drive pretty well down a highway and in bumper to bumper traffic. It's right about 90% of the time. It's that 10% that prevents me from ever trusting completely a fully self driving car. If Hyundai offered an update for $3,000 for FSD (full self driving), half of Tesla's price, would you by it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I enjoy driving, so self-driving is not my goal. The "whiz bang" tech features on the Palisade are just extra safety aids. They will never replace the human factor, ... nor would I want them to. Again, I actually enjoy driving.

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
58 Posts
Would I pay for it, very likely.
Would I use it all the time, very unlikely.

However, for long monotonous road trip I see the value.
Also, bumper to bumper traffic I can see its use.

This all depends on the systems not causing more problems than solving them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a second home in Florida, 1060 miles mostly on I-10. I love the self drive assist. Allows me to use both hands when I drink my coffee. I turned down long term maintenance plan as I'm confident that in 5 years their will be lots of full self driving at least on expressways.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sort of related but sort of not. With our current SCC, I know it can detect a car in front of it, and not a red light... but it never gives me that prompt to hit the pedal or the button to start driving again in traffic like it has at a light, and it seems like the time frame has been about the same at times between the two scenarios.
Also, if I’m driving with SCC, and I’m in the right lane where there aren’t lines to my right, but rather parked cars, does it know? I’m not willing to test it to find out but wondering if you guys could give me some insight.
As far as the question goes, I would definitely consider it, although it seems to me, if I can’t take a nap while it drives me home then what’s the point? Haha just kidding

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
10 Posts
Yes I would. I was recently sent a lengthy survey about my Palisade. A big section in it was about self driving. Interesting, I thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
HDA: "The Highway Driving Assist (HDA) system helps keep the vehicle between lanes, maintain a distance with the vehicle ahead, and automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to the speed limit while driving on the highway..." (Hyundai) And, It's a fun song.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts
HDA: "The Highway Driving Assist (HDA) system helps keep the vehicle between lanes, maintain a distance with the vehicle ahead, and automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to the speed limit while driving on the highway..." (Hyundai) And, It's a fun song.
Ok, the HDA only is used to auto change your speed based on the speed limit. You'll see AUTO when in HDA and you set your speed to the posted speed limit. This has nothing to do with the LFA system of the car which helps with drive assist. This is always active as long as you have it enabled and see the green steering wheel icon. Heck I use it all the time and just drove 78 with it enabled.

I agree the terminology is slightly confusing since there are different features but bottom line the LFA can be used up to 93 mph.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
And HDA does other things beside the auto-speed adjustment. You don't have to use that feature to benefit from the others.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts
And HDA does other things beside the auto-speed adjustment. You don't have to use that feature to benefit from the others.
I've been trying to find that out too and interested what you know. Sure the manual mentions what R!CK posted above but honestly it acts no difference on a non-HDA highway. I've driven over 10K miles and honestly other than the AUTO speed feature, I can't tell what else HDA does.

LFA keeps the vehicle between the lanes and works without HDA. Use this all the time and you still get the steering wheel icon without HDA
SCC keeps your vehicle at a set distance behind other cars. Once again HDA not required.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've been trying to find that out too and interested what you know. Sure the manual mentions what R!CK posted above but honestly it acts no difference on a non-HDA highway. I've driven over 10K miles and honestly other than the AUTO speed feature, I can't tell what else HDA does.

LFA keeps the vehicle between the lanes and works without HDA. Use this all the time and you still get the steering wheel icon without HDA
SCC keeps your vehicle at a set distance behind other cars. Once again HDA not required.
Go time how long you can go handsfree with it lane following/acc on an HDA equipped highway and a non-HDA equipped highway. You'll find the time is significantly different.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts
Go time how long you can go handsfree with it lane following/acc on an HDA equipped highway and a non-HDA equipped highway. You'll find the time is significantly different.
Nope, no difference for me and even HDA is random. Sometimes it's 10 sec, sometimes it's 2 minutes.

So no not significantly different. Once again, find me the documentation that states otherwise because even the official Hyundai Youtube videos don't say.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
420 Posts
Weird. Multiple people have gone out and tested this on the same stretch by enabling and disabling HDA and timing the hands off period and it makes a significant and easily noticeable difference.
I haven't seen any of those threads but I'll continue to test.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Aside from the auto-speed adjustment, there's the full stop-and-go functionality of the SCC. On HDA roads, it resumes driving by itself after being stopped for up to 30s. On an non-HDA road, it's 3s. You need to press the gas pedal or the SCC Resume button if you're stopped for longer than that. It's useful for people driving on highways with lots of traffic, such as LA (right, @saxman242?).

On other cars (Sonata), HDA can slow the car down for curves. We don't have this on the Palisade.

As to LFA, some people seem to notice that it works better on HDA roads than non-HDA roads. That has not been my experience (and I was able to test it on a highway that was not HDA-enabled, then later became HDA-enabled via map update, and I saw no difference), but that is a small sample size. So who knows?

As to keeping your hands off the wheel, I have never been able to do it for more than ~30s. I know some people have been able to go far longer (including on other Hyundai models). One post I read mentioned that it seems to be related to how straight the road is. In other words, it might let you keep your hands off the wheel longer on a road with no curves.

There is a Hyundai Tech paper discussing this, but note that it is not US-specific: it discusses South Korea- and Europe-specific functions, like slowing down for construction zones. It seems to imply that regulations prevent Hyundai from allowing hands-free driving for more than 60s. That's clearly not the case from people's experience going several minutes at a time without their hands on the wheel. Maybe they are able to disable that for the US. Who knows? The paper is here:

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
214 Posts
It doesn’t have to be the speed limit. If you are going on I70 or I270, where the speed limit is 70 on parts, HDA works all the way to 95 MPH. You can set the cruise in the 80s and HDA is still active, just not fully…and then when you get to the 55MPH section your car will light up and vibrate as an example. I believe that to be the HDA. Just experienced this twice over the weekend. Of course I am never quite sure when it is HDA and when it is the Nav system tech.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts