Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a notice about this which tells us there is a potential for short circuit and possible fire hazard. Also it says the remedy is not yet available but to take car in for an interim repair.
question - anybody know what that is? Maybe removing a fuse???

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same for me but I was asking what the interim fix is, like maybe fuse removal. The recall letter states that you should bring car in to dealer for a temporary repair while Hyundai is developing a solution. I'm trying to tell my daughter what to do as she has the harness and hitch installed .

· Registered
1,759 Posts
Same for me but I was asking what the interim fix is, like maybe fuse removal. The recall letter states that you should bring car in to dealer for a temporary repair while Hyundai is developing a solution. I'm trying to tell my daughter what to do as she has the harness and hitch installed .
Tell her to pull the fuse. If she has to tow, bring a fire extinguisher and avoid towing in the rain? The issue seems to be moisture getting in the junction box where the harness connect to the car, causing this potential short. Cleaning and drying it before towing would probably help.

· Super Moderator
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
838 Posts
The affected part is the add-on harness. Water and dirt can get in and short it out.
Camera accessory Gadget Audio equipment Automotive lighting Cable

· Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
532 Posts
No, the problem is where the harness connects to the pre-wiring in the car, not at the hitch.
Not quite.. it is the conversion module. The bit that converts the signal and brake light signal into what has turned into the American trailer standard. The case evidently can leak allowing water to short out the electronics inside.. get hot and "possibly" set your car on fire.
EDIT: Mr P beat me to it

· Registered
482 Posts
That is what I meant, unplug the box harness from the car harness and the problem is gone. Mr.P has it right. And is exactly what I was referring to.......
To unplug the conversion box from the car, it must be removed from the car harness, there is no plug at the box.

· Super Moderator
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
838 Posts
Wondering if an owner can just remove the harness, coat the part with epoxy and re-install, permanent waterproofing.

· Registered
482 Posts
Wondering if an owner can just remove the harness, coat the part with epoxy and re-install, permanent waterproofing.
There would be a way water could get in through the plug itself, I would not trust it...However, I suppose one could put the box in a zip lock bag and seal it. Be sure to have the small opening where the wires enter the bag aimed down. This would be a temporary fix at best, until the factory figures things out.

· Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
532 Posts
I have a Curt harness so it does not apply to me... but coating the OEM version makes sense.. or wrapping it in cling wrap and duct tape.. just to add a level of protection.

· Registered
5 Posts
Just got a notice about this which tells us there is a potential for short circuit and possible fire hazard. Also it says the remedy is not yet available but to take car in for an interim repair.
If you take your car to dealer service they will take your fuse out even if you tell them not to. My 7 pt hitch is after market and they still "stole" my fuse. My sole reason for purchase was towing power in an suv. So as soon as possible, it will be bye bye Palisade.

· Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
444 Posts
If you take your car to dealer service they will take your fuse out even if you tell them not to. My 7 pt hitch is after market and they still "stole" my fuse. My sole reason for purchase was towing power in an suv. So as soon as possible, it will be bye bye Palisade.
Your dealer didn’t follow the instructions. If you don’t have the factory 4-pin harness, there is no action required. You have to be extra vigilant with the dealers on this one… they seem to be even more confused than normal.

· Registered
5 Posts
Your dealer didn’t follow the instructions. If you don’t have the factory 4-pin harness, there is no action required. You have to be extra vigilant with the dealers on this one… they seem to be even more confused than normal.
My point exactly. And when I told them I had Thanksgiving camping trip planned, they said 'nothing we can do about that'. My hitch installer replaced the fuse.

· Registered
20 Posts
Online they claim fuses #1, #4, and #5 are all identified as "trailer" and can be removed without interfering with other systems. I wish they would post online what Hyundai officially recommends. My dealer is a jerk and would not even service the car unless they removed the fuse but wouldn't tell me which one not where it's located. (Under the hood in front of driver easy to get to). Hyundai has started sending out notices since February 2022, NHTDA is more understanding than I am as to solution: REMOVE THE FUSE!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts