Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time owner of anything other than a car. Was looking at possibly renting a tow-RV to take the family out to see Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this summer. I have the tow package, but not sure what all I would need for something like this. I'm assuming that I'd need to purchase a ball joint to go into the tow hitch. How about the electrical connection? I see that there is one by the tow hitch, but would that connect to the RV? Has anyone towed something considerable like this with their Palisade? Interested in ease of hookup and handling with it attached.

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Trailer RV is likely to be on the higher end of the weight spectrum, so you will need to get a 7 pin wire adapter hooked up. It's going to take a little bit of effort to make happen as the stock wiring is only for a 4 pin. This is to provide the signal to the trailer to actuate the brakes, something required on heavier trailers.

You'll also need to be mindful of the weight of the trailer. Palisade is limited to 5000 lbs tow capacity.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Has to have the trailer controller and wire run from under hood to the rear for the power to control the 7 wire connection for a trailer in that weight class.
There are a number of systems you can dyi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've pulled a lot of things in my life (boats, RVs, horse trailers, etc). Assuming you mean an enclosed travel trailer, my personal opinion is an RV/Palisade combination going to and through the Rockies is marginal. On the Palisade, you'd need a 7 pin wiring harness installed. Then you'd need a brake controller which will apply the trailer brakes when braking in the vehicle. When you look at trailer specs, remember the weight is empty weight. Add water to the water tank, some gray/black water in those tanks, fill the fridge, add clothes, etc and that additional weight adds up. You may also need to add the weight of whats in the Palisade too.

A viable option might be a tent/pop-up camper. They are significantly less weight, don't have the extensive brake requirements and might be the right choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts