Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rust spots on my hood. The Palisade is not a year old. I also purchased the Polysteel protection. Guess it's not working. How do I get rid of rust? What should I say to the dealership?

·
Registered
91 Posts
To me the hood doesn't feel like metal. It possible something was on the hood when they put the coating on and did not see it.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
168 Posts
I have rust spots on my hood. The Palisade is not a year old. I also purchased the Polysteel protection. Guess it's not working. How do I get rid of rust? What should I say to the dealership?
Just tell them there is rust and ask to fix it under warranty. There should be 3yr/36000 mile paint warranty and 7yr/ Unlimited miles Anti-Perforation warranty

·
Registered
455 Posts
I haven’t taken a magnet to the hood to see if it is aluminum.
If that were my car, I would take a little rubbing compound and clean out what looks to be rust. You could try an iron remover too to see if that breaks down that orange spot. Eagle One Black & Plasti-Coat Wheel cleaner is an iron removing spray that is safe for paint. I discovered it on a YouTube video and just used it on my 2011 Sonata and it definitely helped removed fallout.

So I would clean out the orange spot and then fill it in with touch up paint. It’s a decent sized chip so be patient and do several thin coats to fill it in slowly for best results.

not sure a dealer would do much for you at this point since it’s not rusted through (perforation warranty), but you could try that route too.Some dealer service centers are more helpful than others as we know.

you can consider getting paint protection film too, once your chip is fixed. Modern paints are brittle and thin so you will get chips on the hood and fenders. I had my front end wrapped in PPF because I hate paint chips.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Definitely looks like chipped paint clear through to the metal. As stated, sand, prime, paint and clear. I like Automotive Touchup. You can buy everything I just described for under $50 and it’s a PERFECT color match. I’ve used them for every vehicle I own.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yup, I’ve bought touch up from them too and was happy with it.

I just figured since our palisades are new people would go and get factory stuff, but I’m confident automotivetouchup would be perfectly good stuff too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven’t taken a magnet to the hood to see if it is aluminum.
If that were my car, I would take a little rubbing compound and clean out what looks to be rust. You could try an iron remover too to see if that breaks down that orange spot. Eagle One Black & Plasti-Coat Wheel cleaner is an iron removing spray that is safe for paint. I discovered it on a YouTube video and just used it on my 2011 Sonata and it definitely helped removed fallout.

So I would clean out the orange spot and then fill it in with touch up paint. It’s a decent sized chip so be patient and do several thin coats to fill it in slowly for best results.

not sure a dealer would do much for you at this point since it’s not rusted through (perforation warranty), but you could try that route too.Some dealer service centers are more helpful than others as we know.

you can consider getting paint protection film too, once your chip is fixed. Modern paints are brittle and thin so you will get chips on the hood and fenders. I had my front end wrapped in PPF because I hate paint chips.
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I am going to show the dealership first and then go from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's a couple of things here.

First, depending on how/who applied the Polysteel protection, it's possible you may have invalidated your Hyundai body warranty by having that material applied. Hyundai could say the Polysteel application damaged the hood/paint and they can't be held liable for damage created as a result. Milgard Windows does something similar - if you add tint to a Milgard window with a lifetime warranty, it invalidates the warranty for that window forever. You'd think that just adding tinting film to a window wouldn't be that big of a deal, but Milgard sees it as an opportunity to get out of their obligation to service a very expensive lifetime warranty.

If, however, the Polysteel protection was applied by an authorized provider and was properly applied in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, it damn sure should have come with a warranty, and you should have recourse through that channel to get this damage repaired. If you paid for this treatment without verifying warranty support and coverage, you may have exposed yourself to eating the repair costs yourself. Either way, the only way Hyundai would/could be held [partially] liable for coverage here would be if the dealer sold this treatment to you and installed it as part of your purchase, and then the dealer holds the responsibility to repair the damage (or pay the third party to repair the premature failure of the protection).

If you elect to fix this yourself, you may invalidate the Polysteel warranty (if there is one), compounding the problem more. If you paid for this protection to prevent this kind of damage and it happened anyway, hold them accountable to repair it - don't do it yourself.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good point in asking the dealership to cover it under the Polysteel warranty.
But don’t get too upset if they tell you it’s not covered under warranty because it’s a paint chip.
You paid for a coating that is basically an expensive wax/ceramic coating. They warranty against fading as far as I can tell.
The paint chip “broke the seal” and that little orange spot is no longer covered with your Polysteel coating.

since your car is new I see them cleaning it and filling it with touch up as a gesture of good will since you paid quite a bit for the Polysteel coating.

the hoods and fenders will get paint chips. Consider getting a PPF if you don’t like seeing paint chips on your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3M (or the like) paint protection film is the way to go... have always had good luck with clear paint protection film in various areas of a vehicle. I use it on the lower quarter of my drag car which gets hit with hot rubber and track grit and it looks like show car paint underneath.

·
Registered
Purchasing 2021 Palisade Calligraphy
2 Posts
It could also be industrial fallout that has stuck to your paint. Look into an iron remover spray and clay bar.
I had the same issue with my Pearl White Kia Sorento. I too was told it was fallout and that it's more noticeable on the white or light colored vehicles. I used the iron remover spray and it worked well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts