Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the forum and a new Palisade owner. I recently got an iKamper 2.0 rooftop tent and plan to mount it on my Palisade. I am upgrading from the stock crossbars to the Yakima roof rack system. Does anyone else have a rooftop tent on their Palisade? I'd love to hear your feedback and experiences. Also any photos :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t have one but I was wondering if anybody else with a Palisade is trying car camping. I have a Palisade that’s suppose to arrive in a couple of weeks and one of the reasons I’m getting it is for car camping. At the moment I’m trying to figure out a strategy based on sleeping in the vehicle but I have been looking at rooftop tents. Unfortunately it’s not so practical for me as I live in an apartment building and the garage door is not very high so I’m a little concerned as to whether I can even get an RTT on the roof and make it through the door. That’s one reason I’m trying to find out what the lowest profile cross bars are for the Palisade. I’m also concerned because any RTT would basically have to stay on my vehicle 100% of the time as there’s no place I could store it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I learned is that you have to make sure the cross bars are high enough to mount the RTT on, so you may not be able to go with the lowest profile bars. You also need to make sure it can hold the weight of the tent. We went with the Yakima cross bars (165 lbs capacity) the Thule crossbars did not hold enough dynamic weight for the tent we purchased. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for this info. I was originally going to get the stock bars with my vehicle but decided not to get them for now until I could research further. You mentioned stock bars and you also mentioned Thule bars. Are the stock bars rebranded Thule bars or did you just mention Thule since they have a low-profile option?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hyundai makes cross bars that come with the vehicle - I don’t know the brand, but they don’t hold enough weight for the RTT I am getting. Thule is another popular brand that I see on a lot of vehicles - also doesn’t hold enough weight. I need 165 dynamic weight load. Yakima is the only brand I found that offer the size, type of cross bars (thin) and weight limit for the Palisade and RTT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting. Most of the cross bars I’ve looked at don’t seem to provide any specs on load capacity. Which specific model of Yakima are you looking at? iKamper looks great. I’ve been looking at the Roofnest Falcon in part because of the low profile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing I learned is that you have to make sure the cross bars are high enough to mount the RTT on, so you may not be able to go with the lowest profile bars. You also need to make sure it can hold the weight of the tent. We went with the Yakima cross bars (165 lbs capacity) the Thule crossbars did not hold enough dynamic weight for the tent we purchased. Good luck!
The Thule Cross bars are fine , It depends on what tent your mounting .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts