Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I could use some advice on the Palisade, although I'm sure most if not all folks here are owners and/or fans of the car. I'm coming from a 2019 BMW X3 that I bought 10 months ago (after owning an Explorer Limited since 2011). I've always wanted a bmw, and I can't afford a X5, so I went with a used X3, and I do not like it...too small, the infotainment is flakey, and it drives odd at times, plus its maintenance and TCO will be very high through the years. I'm not upside down on it, but the equity is very low (about 2k), so any car I purchase will be 99% financed. I will keep the car for at least 7-10 years, as long as it's not an utter disappointment like the X3 has been.

I found the Pailisade after unsuccessfully searching for a Telluride that is not being sold for a huge mark up over msrp, and I like it. The push button shifter is very weird to me, but I think I can get used to it. Its function is similar to the Telluride, and while its exterior/interior forms are quite different, it's grown on me.

I was leaning toward the SEL with Premium FWD due to it having most of the features I want at the lower price point, but they're hard to find locally and I've come to really like the Limited features, so I'm going to a dealer on Monday to look at a Limited FWD that's priced at 2k under msrp, which is an anomaly from the other local/nearby dealers who are listing Limiteds at thousands over msrp. A Limited at 2k under msrp with only 2k (trade equity) down is going to make my payment pretty high (~704 for 72 months), so I have to be as sure as possible that this is a great car for the long haul.

Any ideas why this dealer would be listing several 2021 Limiteds under msrp (shown as "dealer discount")? Something to be concerned about? How about the smell issue? I know there's another forum post about that, but it sounds like it's a common and terrible issue. If you ha the opportunity to do it all over again, would you buy the Palisade Limited with the Napa Leather? Should I wait to find a SEL with Premium at an under msrp price point (I really like ventilated seats...it gets very hot here)? Any other issues to be concerned about before I pull this trigger?

Thank you for any help. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,100 Posts
2021 limited is not selling well. Hyundai took to many features off the limited to put in the calligraphy.
For the little extra it costs, most people move up to the calligraphy, it is just a little fancier than the limiter
If you want the FWD pretty much have to go for the Limited or SEL.
Look to see if there is a 2020 Limited in your area. Will save alot and get everything on the Calligraphy
except the little extra light in front, larger brake light, different grill, and different wheels.
I have had mine for a year and no smell, not vibration, no wind noise, everything is fine.
Just be sure and do a good test drive up to 70mph, and do a good smell test on the headrest if getting Beige interior

·
Registered
525 Posts
The FWD Limited was always discounted more than the AWD in 2020, but 2k off sticker sounds like a good deal, but like Gene pointed out, the 2021 has lost content that is now moved to the Calligraphy.

I took my test drive up rot 90 mph and didn't notice any wind noise. My wind whistle started a few days after taking ownership, so it was likely there even when I test drove it but I didn't know what to listen for probably. My car had a slight whistling that I could only hear with no radio on and no conversation happening in the car. I have since cured to to my 100% satisfaction.

I have black Nappa and I started noticing a garlic odor after a few months of ownership. It's not to the point where it disgusts me and I don't even want to bring it to the dealer yet since all they'll do is use a deodorizer on the headrests (two trips/attempts according the the TSB) so it's not bad enough to me to want to endure trips to the dealer (never a fun time).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The $2500 jump to Calligraphy from the FWD Limited isn't something I'm willing to do,,,seems unnecessary since I'm good with the Limited's feature set and I don't need AWD. It may be more than 2500 if the Calligraphies are selling for over msrp.

What was your cure for the wind noise, raggedy1?

Would both of you buy the Palisade again knowing what you know now? That odor issue, even with the mitigation options, seems like a tough pill to swallow (or smell).

Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are a couple of threads about wind noise. I posted my cure which was basically what others have done, and I pointed out the one final area that eliminated my whistle once and for all, at all speeds and whether the hvac is in the open or closed position.

It’s simple to do with some closed foam insulation rope available on Amazon

Yes, I would buy my Palisade again without a doubt. There is nothing else in the it’s class or for the money that can beat the Palisade right now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My 2020 Palisade LTD is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's perfect for me and wife who are retired. Perfect second row seats for my corgi. Every electric nanny possible and then some. Wait till you hear Nature Sounds. I got the bumper to bumper 10 year warranty, transferable. No worries for 10 years!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bought a Calligraphy recently, one of the best purchases so far. Fortunately no odor or wind issues the vehicle is appointed beautifully and it’s very luxurious. I would do it again gladly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went from Acura MDX to BMW x5 then Palisade and not regretted, I loved my Palisade and would buy another.

I have burgundy exterior with black interior nappa leather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2021 limited is not selling well. Hyundai took to many features off the limited to put in the calligraphy.
For the little extra it costs, most people move up to the calligraphy, it is just a little fancier than the limiter
If you want the FWD pretty much have to go for the Limited or SEL.
Look to see if there is a 2020 Limited in your area. Will save alot and get everything on the Calligraphy
except the little extra light in front, larger brake light, different grill, and different wheels.
I have had mine for a year and no smell, not vibration, no wind noise, everything is fine.
Just be sure and do a good test drive up to 70mph, and do a good smell test on the headrest if getting Beige interior
What are the features that are present in Caligraphy and not in Limited. All I could see were different wheels and leather trim on doors. What am I am missing.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What are the features that are present in Caligraphy and not in Limited. All I could see were different wheels and leather trim on doors. What am I am missing.
Basically all the unique stuff. It might seem trivial until you realize there’s less than $900 between a Calligraphy and a Limited AWD. Makes the Limited AWD pointless. FWD is another story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Basically all the unique stuff. It might seem trivial until you realize there’s less than $900 between a Calligraphy and a Limited AWD. Makes the Limited AWD pointless. FWD is another story.
Thanks. I was comparing AWD with Caligraphy. Because of the very limited color choice of Caligraphy that was out of the consideration for me. Not to mention that Limited and Caligraphy are impossible to get a decent deal on.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks. I was comparing AWD with Caligraphy. Because of the very limited color choice of Caligraphy that was out of the consideration for me. Not to mention that Limited and Caligraphy are impossible to get a decent deal on.
On another forum, someone posted the photo below of the brochure showing that additional colors are coming to the Calligraphy trim level. Ask your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been driving my Moonlight Cloud Limited 2020 Palisade for over a year and have absolutely no regrets. I think most of us looked at the Telluride initially based on all of the reviews, but the interior of the Palisade felt so much nicer. Admittedly, it took me some time to appreciate the front grille on the exterior, but over time it's grown on me and I'm still wowed by how luxurious the interior looks and feels. I have two kids and often travel with a small baseball team, so all of the extra room in the rear comes in handy. Not to mention the seemingly endless supply of USB charging units and heated/vented seats in the back. No regrets....absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
91 Posts
I do not have a Limited, so take what I say with a grain of salt. We bought a loaded 2021 AWD SEL and it was $4500 MSRP less than the Limited AWD. We wanted a bench seat, so we wouldn't have gotten the Limited anyway, but even if we had wanted captain's seats, the upgrades weren't worth $4500 to us (and a bit more than that for the Calligraphy).

I've always been budget conscious and although we didn't pay cash for the Palisade, we had a huge down payment and only took a few yeas of a loan. I only say that to point out that sure, we could afford the higher trim, but we didn't feel we needed it. Because I'm budget conscious, if I had wanted the higher trim and I could find a Limited for $2000 under MSRP but the Calligraphy was only sold for MSRP, that would mean those modest cosmetic features of the Calligraphy essentially cost $2900 extra. For me, there is no way I'd pay that for the Calligraphy over the Limited.

I know a lot of folks here get really unhappy that the Limited isn't marked in some way to let folks know that you got a higher trim (the Calligraphy is the only one that is clearly a higher trim level based on the grill and wheels), so one could always buy one of those Limited trim pieces to have attached to the car to fix that.

All that said, I'm sure that $2900 is very much worth it to some folks (assuming $2000 under MSRP for an AWD Limited and MSRP for the Calligraphy). Only you know which things are necessary to make it the car you want to keep.

We love our Palisade and would buy it again in a heartbeat. We've only had it a few months and a few thousand miles, but it's been amazing. (We traded an older Subaru and also have a 2016 Outback, we were not coming from Luxury rigs, just average cars.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in the same boat about deciding whether to get the Calligraphy or the 2021 Limited. Initially I was 101% sold on the Telluride but it was a real pain in the ass to find one in the color and trim level we wanted. So my wife and I decided on the Palisade Calligraphy. But after debating how ugly the rims look, we took a closer look at the 2021 Limited and compared that to the 2020 Limited and noted the few "cosmetic" features that were removed from the 2021 Limited. Now here's a few things we disliked about the Calligraphy compared to the 2021 Limited.

1. Hideous looking rims.
2. we also disliked the longer silver part of the front lower bumper that extends across the bottom. It makes the front end look cheap. Just a touch of silver and side painted body panels is just right (in all other trim levels).
3. the extra little DRL light between the turn signal and the head lamps looks a little distracting, sticks out like a pimple. Breaks up the clean look. You have elegant lines everywhere, then there's this square light that looks out of place.

Some of the nice touches on the Calligraphy was the longer 3rd brake light in the rear, and the lower diffuser.

One thing my wife pointed out was the loss of the diamond quilted stitching to the door panels. She would have wanted that. But we deliberated for a while and noted the quilted areas on the door panels are in a high contact area where people grab the door handles, rest their arms, and the cup holders in the rear are just below the quilted area. So if kids place cups there with juice, chocolate milk, or other beverages that will spill, it would be a pain to clean. Or even people with dirty hands, gloves, coats that get in contact with the quilted area over time. So having a solid leather area like in the 2021 Limited instead of a perforated piece made more sense. Imagine going to the beach and getting sand in those areas.

So now we wanted to see check out the 2020 Limited. First off, we wanted a more rugged looking SUV (like the Telluride) and the 2020 Limited's rims look a little too feminine, or elegant, and the front grill wasn't as nice looking as the 2021 Limited. So after all the deliberation, we went with the 2021 Limited because of it's looks, we loved the rugged looking rims, having a solid leather piece on the door panels for easy cleaning, as well as the color and trim level we wanted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I could use some advice on the Palisade, although I'm sure most if not all folks here are owners and/or fans of the car. I'm coming from a 2019 BMW X3 that I bought 10 months ago (after owning an Explorer Limited since 2011). I've always wanted a bmw, and I can't afford a X5, so I went with a used X3, and I do not like it...too small, the infotainment is flakey, and it drives odd at times, plus its maintenance and TCO will be very high through the years. I'm not upside down on it, but the equity is very low (about 2k), so any car I purchase will be 99% financed. I will keep the car for at least 7-10 years, as long as it's not an utter disappointment like the X3 has been.

I found the Pailisade after unsuccessfully searching for a Telluride that is not being sold for a huge mark up over msrp, and I like it. The push button shifter is very weird to me, but I think I can get used to it. Its function is similar to the Telluride, and while its exterior/interior forms are quite different, it's grown on me.

I was leaning toward the SEL with Premium FWD due to it having most of the features I want at the lower price point, but they're hard to find locally and I've come to really like the Limited features, so I'm going to a dealer on Monday to look at a Limited FWD that's priced at 2k under msrp, which is an anomaly from the other local/nearby dealers who are listing Limiteds at thousands over msrp. A Limited at 2k under msrp with only 2k (trade equity) down is going to make my payment pretty high (~704 for 72 months), so I have to be as sure as possible that this is a great car for the long haul.

Any ideas why this dealer would be listing several 2021 Limiteds under msrp (shown as "dealer discount")? Something to be concerned about? How about the smell issue? I know there's another forum post about that, but it sounds like it's a common and terrible issue. If you ha the opportunity to do it all over again, would you buy the Palisade Limited with the Napa Leather? Should I wait to find a SEL with Premium at an under msrp price point (I really like ventilated seats...it gets very hot here)? Any other issues to be concerned about before I pull this trigger?

The smell is definitely present. Hyundai will need to figure this out and come up with a fix. I bought a 2021 Palisade Limited..very nice vehicle and the push button shifter is a non issue. Simple and works great. The auto engine/start/stop feature is not something I am crazy about but I’m getting used to it..and can override it if I decide to.
I would go for it....I have no regrets. I am going to drive the local dealer crazy until they address the smell issue..it is only present after the car sits overnight and after driving for a minute or two it is not noticeable. I’m not concerned about it. Apparently the glue in the headrests is the culprit. I have had 2 Hyundai Genesis and I believe in the brand. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I bought my Palisade 3 months ago, butia few words was a lemon, shaking, wind noise the dealer was not able to fix it , long story...Hyundai had to buy it back. I’ll never buy a Palisade again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my Palisade 3 months ago, butia few words was a lemon, shaking, wind noise the dealer was not able to fix it , long story...Hyundai had to buy it back. I’ll never buy a Palisade again.
...but in* a few words...

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have a 2020 Limited AWD and love it. I have no smell issues and I got mine for thousands under as I purchased when Rona was starting to shut things down. I would do it over again in a heartbeat!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts