Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Josh- Holy God, I was following my wife home last night with our new Palisade and thought the same thing.... How we not gonna have better vanity plate lights??? Gonna stop by Oreillys this AM and see about replacing them, it was super easy on my Outback, $20 for Sylviania if I remember right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Josh- Holy God, I was following my wife home last night with our new Palisade and thought the same thing.... How we not gonna have better vanity plate lights??? Gonna stop by Oreillys this AM and see about replacing them, it was super easy on my Outback, $20 for Sylviania if I remember right?
I was also pretty shocked to learn that Hyundai opted for filament-based bulbs for both the license plate lights AND the reverse lights. This is especially stupid/strange when every other light on the car is LED-based. Yet another brain-dead Hyundai design decision.

Oh, and god help us the day we ever need or want to change the reverse light bulbs. You're going to really have to want to change these...
  1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  2. Using a flat-tip screwdriver or remover and remove the rear combination lamp cover.
  3. Remove the rear combination lamp and separate the connector.
  4. Loosen the rear bumper mounting clips.
  5. Loosen the mounting screws and retainer on the side of rear bumper, detach the side part of rear bumper. (Be careful not to damage the tabs on the side part of front bumper.)
  6. Loosen the rear bumper mounting bolts, Left Hand and Right-hand side.
  7. Loosen the mounting clips and remove the rear bumper cover.
  8. Press the lock pin and separate the BSD Connector.
  9. Press the lock pin and separate the rear bumper main connector.
  10. Remove the back up lamp after loosening mounting screws.
  11. Install the replacement back up lamp.
  12. Connect the back up lamp connector.
  13. Re-install the rear bumper cover.
  14. Connect the negative (-) battery terminal.
All to change two light bulbs. And if you put in crappy replacements, you'll get to do this procedure again and again until you get bulbs that are reliable. In my experience, some things just aren't worth the trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my info from the online service manual that the shop uses, so I would tend to agree - still, it's a starting point to figure out how to do stuff. I've only had my Palisade for a week at this point, so I'm using the service info as a starting point to try and figure out how to fix the stuff Hyundai decided to leave out. After watching that video, however, I can see why it would be a pain in the butt to do without removing the bumper cover. Even the guy who made the video decided not to re-use the wire hangers once he did the modification. I might make the effort to change these if I knew I could find truly decent LED replacement lamps that worked for more than 2 weeks before crapping out...

Did you change yours or are you planning to?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I plan to when I get my machine. Ordered June 28th, order acknowledged in Korea, but not yet assigned a build date. Could be a couple more months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, I guess my situation was unique. I just wandered onto a lot in Seattle, WA and they had 2 Burgandy Limiteds, and I bought one of those the following weekend. I had heard that they were exceedingly rare in some places. I hope you like it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got my info from the online service manual that the shop uses, so I would tend to agree - still, it's a starting point to figure out how to do stuff. I've only had my Palisade for a week at this point, so I'm using the service info as a starting point to try and figure out how to fix the stuff Hyundai decided to leave out. After watching that video, however, I can see why it would be a pain in the butt to do without removing the bumper cover. Even the guy who made the video decided not to re-use the wire hangers once he did the modification. I might make the effort to change these if I knew I could find truly decent LED replacement lamps that worked for more than 2 weeks before crapping out...

Did you change yours or are you planning to?
Could you post the URL for the on-line shop manual please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped by an autoparts store and they had nothing in their system for which light bulb to get. I was going to take it out tonight and get the model numbers of the current bulb inside and match it to LED equivalent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, had trouble with the driver side light the LED had to be what I would say in the correct position, one direction = no light, the other direction = light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey ChrisK, I bought this from Amazon but it seems almost too big compared to the bulb that's already in it and I didn't force it in. Did you have trouble because it looks the same from your picture?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Numbers wise it matches up, but I did not have any trouble with getting then in/out. I used bulb grease but I can't imagine that it improves the install at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts