Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have my eye on a 2021 Black/Black Limited, but the smell issue has me extremely concerned. Since the posts here, the TSB and news articles seem to have isolated the problem to the headrests, I could get out ahead of the smell by immediately removing the headrests and doing the bag/container test to see if they'll smell, keeping the smell out of the car, right? Is the pleather/vinyl on the sides of the seats a possible vector for the smell too? Driving without headrests isn't safe, but avoiding the garlic/a** smell would be worth it, at least until Hyundai can get new fixed headrests to me. I would hope a bag/container of funky headrests would force their hand. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
While a good number of people have an odor problem, I would remind you that most owners don't have an odor problem, my self included.
What I always tell everyone go look at the Palisade while it is still setting on the lot. That way a dealer doesn't have time to air it out.
People have said they smell an odor but their spouse doesn't, so figure.
Do a really good road test, at least 70mph, listen for wind noise, and vibrations. Do a really good smell test of head rests when first seeing
Palisade on the lot. Most odor problems have been reported in Beige interiors, but some in dark interiors.
There are loads of really good Palisades out there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. I have my eye on a 2021 Black/Black Limited, but the smell issue has me extremely concerned. Since the posts here, the TSB and news articles seem to have isolated the problem to the headrests, I could get out ahead of the smell by immediately removing the headrests and doing the bag/container test to see if they'll smell, keeping the smell out of the car, right? Is the pleather/vinyl on the sides of the seats a possible vector for the smell too? Driving without headrests isn't safe, but avoiding the garlic/a** smell would be worth it, at least until Hyundai can get new fixed headrests to me. I would hope a bag/container of funky headrests would force their hand. Thanks!
yes that is true and this latest news also says the same which a lot of members here reported being the case a long time back

Quote from Article :
"
What’s the Fix?
In our previous report, we shared that our dealership had been instructed to remove each head restraint’s covering and apply an odor-neutralizing solution to the inside. This remains the first line of attack in Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin No. 20-BD-018H, which also directs technicians to spray the solution down the head restraint post holes in the seatbacks. Unfortunately, this treatment doesn’t always work, and our Palisade was just such a case. If customers are unsatisfied with the results of the first attempt and return to the dealer, the TSB directs the service department to repeat the treatment with a different odor-eliminating product.

If both attempts fail, the customer may be eligible, as we were, for a set of replacement head restraints manufactured the new way. This is what seemed to do the trick for our Palisade.

"

PS:

I saw this on 12th and didn't get chance to post it until now.. but if you see the main posts regarding this issue which get a lot of traction and replies already updated with the same update with few other articles:

·
Registered
45 Posts
There was a poll awhile back on one of the palisade forums, asking owners of the Napa Leather Palisades if they had a smell issue. The majority did not have a smelly interior. I'm in that group as we own a 2020 Limited Palisade with dark interior and we have not had even a single problem (wind, smell, etc.).

If you are concerned, just put the headrests in an enclosed container overnight. A sniff test the next morning should give you your answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! It does seem to be a crap shoot whether or not it'll happen, and it is nice to see Hyundai has recognized the problem and found a fix. I looked for ways to find the manufacture month and year of the 2021 Limited I'm going to look at tomorrow, but the VIN just shows the model year.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
91 Posts
I'd say do as @Gene recommends and look at one without their prior knowledge. I think they do air them out before folks drive them (and from what many say, it dissipates quickly once the car is started). I've also heard that you should get your nose right up to the posts going into the headrests and give a good squeeze while inhaling, you should be able to smell if it's there that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently took mine in for the smell. They tried a chemical solution to remove it. When that didn’t work, they ordered me all new headrests and a new headliner. I’m waiting in them to come in. I didn’t meet any resistance. They acted like they knew about the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm assuming they do this as a recall type activity even if you have had the car > 12 months? Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm assuming they do this as a recall type activity even if you have had the car > 12 months? Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.
Not quite. A recall would mean every car gets the treatment. That's not the case. Only cars experiencing the issue will get the treatment applied. You should get it done before the warranty expires, which shouldn't be a problem considering the vehicle is still fairly new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We recently took ours in for the smell. They tried a chemical solution to remove it. That did no good! so they ordered us all new headrests. We had the car for 2 days, and the dealer has it now for 3 weeks. We wish we had never bought a Palisade, it's a nightmare! This will be the 3rd time back to the dealer, if not fixed they will buy it back, we hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Between this thread and my other one that mentions the smell issue, it does seem to be a crap shoot of whether you get the smell issue or not. Crazy!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks! It does seem to be a crap shoot whether or not it'll happen, and it is nice to see Hyundai has recognized the problem and found a fix. I looked for ways to find the manufacture month and year of the 2021 Limited I'm going to look at tomorrow, but the VIN just shows the model year.
The month of manufacturing is listed on the driver side door jamb.

Mine is a black Calligraphy with black interior, build month August 20. No smell issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hyundai procedure is two attempts using deodorizer, 3rd time order new headrests. Have no such smell in 2021 Calligraphy picked up last Thursday.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What’s the verdict with your Palisade? Smelly or Lucky?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts