Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited about the remote start realizing that I could start my car at work and come out to heated seats and steering wheel. My car is in a small outdoor parking lot adjacent to my building but not visible from my office. According to the law of my state it is illegal for me to start my car until I’m within sight of my vehicle. Darn, I really liked that feature, but I don’t want to do anything that isn’t safe. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
In states where it is illegal, it is that way to prevent car theft, not because it is inherently unsafe. On a vehicle with a shutoff should you try to drive it away without the key, that isn't a concern. You'll have to decide for yourself, but it isn't unsafe and the chances of even getting a ticket for if are probably as good as 0.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a side note: the remote start feature, through blue link, does not also turn on the seat warmer/cooler. It will adjust the defrost (front and rear), allow you to set the time and temperature and also activate the heated steering wheel. Hopefully in the future they advance the app to include seat setting but at this time it does not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was so excited about the remote start realizing that I could start my car at work and come out to heated seats and steering wheel. My car is in a small outdoor parking lot adjacent to my building but not visible from my office. According to the law of my state it is illegal for me to start my car until I’m within sight of my vehicle. Darn, I really liked that feature, but I don’t want to do anything that isn’t safe. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Massachusetts activated this law recently to reduce pollution because of idle vehicles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nobody at the dealer, and the first few folks I talked to at Hyundai could tell me why/which cars have Bluelink, and the adverts I have seen indicate they all have it as standard. I am pretty annoyed that they don't offer a way for this car to be pre-warmed, especially when you consider the level of tech and features packed into this thing on pretty much every other level. Not a huge deal, but it is still disappointing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a incident recently in the news in which a man was killed because he was pinned by a car that remote started and apparently slightly rolled forward. think it was a Lexus but not sure. Whichever car maker it was stated that it is written in their manual to never start the car without a being able to see what’s surrounding your car. This is why I started this thread. This is my first car with this feature so I appreciate hearing from those of you that have been using it. The seat warmer may not have been on with the remote start but entering a warm car with a warmed steering wheel was amazing. I started it using Blue Link from the 2nd floor of my building opposite side of the parking lot. I would say a good 65 feet away or more. We then started it from our table at the restaurant a good 100 feet away from our car. I have now only been using it when it’s within sight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked up the incident again and it was a Lexus but it was an aftermarket installation. I guess no one has noticed their car moving during remote start? I guess that’s my real question.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So remote start on Palisade on Fob and presumably via Bluelink only works when doors are locked and Car is in Park. I personally also always have E-Break engaged.

I do not believe there is a safety issue from car driving itself. Doors having to be locked should keep car reasonably safe.

That said it is possible when your in the car and you park to leave the engine running by accident. The car will scream/blare at you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts