Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I experienced the Rear Seat Occupany Alarm and it threw me for a loop. I had earlier washed the car and then vacuumed it out at a car wash. Then I drove it home and parked it turning the engine off departing the Palisade. I came back outside to move the Palisade so I started the car and put it into Drive. The car screen lite up and informed me I needed to place the car in Park. Confused I did what it asked and turned it off again. I waited a few moments and restarted the car a second time, got the same indications. It would not allow me to put the car into Drive. This time I left it running and put it in park and just sat there considering my options. At this point the center screen gave me the Rear Seat Occupancy Alarm. Having read about this I now understood what was happening. At the car wash I had opened and shut the drivers door and then opened and shut the passenger door vacuuming. After I was done I got in the car and drove it home. The Palisade registered my actions as indicating that someone had entered the passenger seat rear and upon my turning the car off at home the first time, that supposed person failed to exit the vehicle. Hence the Palisade insisted that I let that imaginary person out prior to allowing me to drive the vehicle any further. I had to get out, open and shut the rear passenger door and then climb back in the drivers seat at which time it allowed me to move the vehicle without any further delay. This car is a learning opportunity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shouldn't the RSO Alarm notify you as soon as you leave the car? If it thought there was someone in there, it should have notified you as soon as you walked away from the car. Also, I thought the RSO only works when the sensor detects someone in the back regardless of doors - but maybe not! Were you able to recreate this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The ultrasonic sensor is only available as an option on the SEL and standard on Limited. Without it, it uses the door logic. With it, maybe it used both? Which trim level do you have, Sterling?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I have not tried to recreate this situation. I do not use the Palisade as a daily drive. That being said I will try to recreate the situation later today and post the outcome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I found this link from Hyundai describing how the ROA system works. https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2383 It explains why I was not notified by the car, no movement in the rear seat after my first exit.
Yeah that part makes sense. What's not explained is why simply opening and closing doors resulted in the car being prevented from driving. I wonder if the alert you got after putting it in Park is the standard alert that comes on every time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an SEL and my Rear Seat Occupancy Alarm went off around 5x without any reason. I tried everything, including turning off alarm and reactivating, but no luck. I have an appointment to take the car in to get it checked out. Disappointed that the car has a defect. The alarm annoyed the heck out of my neighbors at home and co-workers at the office.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is the alert customizable? Can you specify to only send push notifications to phone and not honk? Can it be completely turned off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you have to also lock the car for the motion sensor to kick in. I disabled the alarm in my car. I have older kids who I leave in the car sometimes for a few moments and found out the hard way just how sensitive the alert is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an SEL and my Rear Seat Occupancy Alarm went off around 5x without any reason. I tried everything, including turning off alarm and reactivating, but no luck. I have an appointment to take the car in to get it checked out. Disappointed that the car has a defect. The alarm annoyed the heck out of my neighbors at home and co-workers at the office.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. I have an SEL and my alarm went off about 7 times since the July 15 purchase date. I already took it into the dealer, but the service dept and Hyundai corporate could not reproduce the issue and had no idea what to do, so I had to bring my car back w/o a fix after leaving the car with the service department for several days. The ROA went off more 2 times since it came back from the service department. I sent another e-mail to Hyundai corporate customer care and got a call back where I was told to wait and see if it happens again and if so, to video tape it and send it to them. I told him that I got text messages every time the alarm went off and that the evidence was on the phone text messages. I am very frustrated that there has been no resolution for 2 months since I first reported the problem. BTW, the car is great otherwise.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can disable the feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you have to also lock the car for the motion sensor to kick in. I disabled the alarm in my car. I have older kids who I leave in the car sometimes for a few moments and found out the hard way just how sensitive the alert is.
We’re you able to disable it permanently? If so, how?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts