Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow. Rear AC on Max Auto is not nearly as cold as Front.
I have an IR thermometer and on Max the lowest rear measured is around 63F
The front on max auto was around 38F

Doesn't seem right to me. Lets see what they say.
Is the AC all 'one' system? Or is it like some houses that has a separate unit for downstairs / upstairs? ;)

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as I suspected the service department says there is no problem. Was told the tech checked it out and it appears to be "normal". OK. So out of curiosity - does anyone here have a thermometer to check the air temps out of the rear vents? The lowest I could get yesterday is about 63F

Also, the service advisor says that although the Palisade has its own separate HVAC controls in the rear, its not a whole separate system. He said there is only one compressor and one evaporator for the entire car and that when you set the temp / fan speeds in the back that just controls some flaps for air flow which originates from the front. Since I am not a Hyundai engineer or car tech I have to take his word for it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sorry I don’t have a temp reader to measure mine for you. That doesn’t seem right though. That is a big temperature difference you’re seeing!
You can show them the reading difference and they still claim it’s “normal?”
I wouldn’t give up on this just yet if I were you either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try closing off the front vents and see if that improves the rear temp.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After my initial call I looked up Palisade HVAC parts online and it does have a Front and Rear Evaporators. Separate parts. So I called back and told the advisor that and asked to perform further checks. He took it back and said that the temperature seems fine. Since the temperature is OK to them (not sure what Hyundai threshold is in their tech manual) it didn't warrant looking at the evaporator. He said it would require taking the front dash apart.

Instead they went to another Palisade on the lot and compared the rear AC output that way. According to him mine was better / cooler.

Will see. I have a record of this complaint now so that's a start. If this becomes an issue then will take it back but its just so inconvenient to drop it off / pick it up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is that why I see 2 different drain spots after shutting off the engine after the ac has been running.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don’t think the front running cooler than the rear is unique to Hyundai. Quick experiment in my X7 (because I love you guys). A/C on full, max, recirc for 2 minutes sitting in the garage. Ambient temp is 93*. Held my cheap $7 infrared temp gauge roughly 2” from the vent. My guess is it’s +/- 2* accuracy, but directional valid.

1st row = 53.2*
2nd row = 56.1*
3rd row = 62.0*

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I picked up the car and what do you know, after I drove home and put my hand next to the rear vents it felt much cooler. I didn't even need a thermometer to tell the difference. Nothing was done though.

It's one of those things things where you have an issue but as soon as you pull up to service it disappears.

Will keep an eye on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts