Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got the new insulation and started on the driver side door. The insulation is cheap enough; I don't mind spending a few dollars to improve the car. Of course, it would have been nice if the palisade didn't have any wind noise issues! haha
Will you be taking some noise level measurements for comparing before and after?

·
Registered
2023Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got the new insulation and started on the driver side door. The insulation is cheap enough; I don't mind spending a few dollars to improve the car. Of course, it would have been nice if the palisade didn't have any wind noise issues! haha
I hope it helps you. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
No, I won't be doing sound measurements. I’m happy with the fixes I’ve already done. There is a slight wind noise I hear from behind my left ear. It’s coming from the rear door and I'll look around to try to address it. It's become more of a hobby of sorts in trying to improve on the quietness level by addressing wind noise with insulation. If I never did another thing to address perceived wind noise, I'd still be 100% happy with where I'm at with my Palisade.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No, I won't be doing sound measurements. I’m happy with the fixes I’ve already done. There is a slight wind noise I hear from behind my left ear. It’s coming from the rear door and I'll look around to try to address it. It's become more of a hobby of sorts in trying to improve on the quietness level by addressing wind noise with insulation. If I never did another thing to address perceived wind noise, I'd still be 100% happy with where I'm at with my Palisade.
I know exactly what u mean. I feel the noise is coming from the drive side back door/window. I like a quiet ride so I will try to do my best to get there.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I believe I’ve found the source of the rear door noise. I tackled the wind seals first to no avail. Then I covered the retractable shade cavity with tape to see if the wind noise was coming from there (it wasn’t).

There is a gap between the back edge of the front door and the leading edge of the rear door. This isn’t unusual as all cars have this gap, and I don’t see automakers put any types of rubber seals to close this gap when the doors are closed. But take a look at our Palisade and you’ll see at the top of where the doors meet, there is a sizeable gap that remains. With the doors closed you can peek through this gap and see it.

in my picture you’ll see I put a piece of .38 fo on there to close it up. On the freeway, the extra wind noise is now gone!

(it’s raining here today, hence the water)

there is a 10mm D shaped automotive seal on amazon. I might buy it to attach to the rear door leading edge close up this gap entirely. Using a sheet of paper, the top edge where my foam currently sits is quite a bit larger than the rest of the door edge when the doors are closed, so I’m not entirely sure the D seal I’m looking at will completely solve the issue. I’m glad I’ve narrowed down this little wind noise and now it’s just a matter of coming up with a good looking solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I believe I’ve found the source of the rear door noise. I tackled the wind seals first to no avail. Then I covered the retractable shade cavity with tape to see if the wind noise was coming from there (it wasn’t).

There is a gap between the back edge of the front door and the leading edge of the rear door. This isn’t unusual as all cars have this gap, and I don’t see automakers put any types of rubber seals to close this gap when the doors are closed. But take a look at our Palisade and you’ll see at the top of where the doors meet, there is a sizeable gap that remains. With the doors closed you can peek through this gap and see it.

in my picture you’ll see I put a piece of .38 fo on there to close it up. On the freeway, the extra wind noise is now gone!

there is a 10mm D shaped automotive seal on amazon. I might buy it to attach to the rear door leading edge close up this gap entirely. Using a sheet of paper, the top edge where my foam currently sits is quite a bit larger than the rest of the door edge when the doors are closed, so I’m not entirely sure the D seal I’m looking at will completely solve the issue. I’m glad I’ve narrowed down this little wind noise and now it’s just a matter of coming up with a good looking solution.
I am glad you have you have narrowed it down. I don't know if this will help; I installed door edge guards for SUVS from
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror
Advance auto. I did this day two of ownership.

·
Registered
708 Posts
that definitely closes up the gaps. I want something more invisible, so I'll buy the D shaped insulation and stick that on. Right now just with the small piece I've taped in there, there is a noticeable drop in the wind noise. The Palisade is such a smooth and quiet car that the wind noises are more obvious that in my other cars where road and wind noise are normal so I don't notice them or expect the cars to be as quiet as the Palisade.

I'll order this one that's 10mm wide and 10mm tall. I think that will fit well enough:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
that definitely closes up the gaps. I want something more invisible, so I'll buy the D shaped insulation and stick that on. Right now just with the small piece I've taped in there, there is a noticeable drop in the wind noise. The Palisade is such a smooth and quiet car that the wind noises are more obvious that in my other cars where road and wind noise are normal so I don't notice them or expect the cars to be as quiet as the Palisade.

I'll order this one that's 10mm wide and 10mm tall. I think that will fit well enough:

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
221 Posts

I just did the same thing and will test it out once I drive the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Will report back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I followed the approaches laid out here for the tubing at the top of the windows and additional weatherstripping around the doors, and it definitely seems like it's improved. I've got the FWD version of the limited, and all testing was done with a NIOSH decibel meter on my iPhone while it was held on my magnetic mount in the middle of the cabin.

One of the biggest things I noticed that has a direct impact on the sound level in the car was the type of pavement being driven on. Days after installing everything, I went on a 3500 mile round trip up the East coast. I tested the sound level on various road surfaces, always with air recirculate on, and the fans and music turned off. On nice smooth asphalt, I was getting 65 decibels at 85 mph, or 60 at 75 mph. On rougher asphalt or concrete, I was getting about 69-70 decibels at 85 mph, and about 66 at 75mph. Before this mod, on my local highway (concrete), I was getting around 72 decibels before this, but I could hear the wind noise from the door, whereas now I do not.

This tells me that this is pretty much the best I can hope for unless I want to start having soundproofing installed (and I don't).

I'm quite happy with the end result though, and it was worth the minimal investment of time and money to do this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ordered the sound damping kit from shark racing. Completed the four doors so far and its made a big difference. I should have took some initial sound reading but will get one when I complete the entire process

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Latest after installation of Crossclimate 2's.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good 'ole Palisade! Where insulations are cheap and gaps are plenty! We use a foam tape to fight with wind noise! And we still run the risk of catching fire due to faulty tow harness! Add to that a stinky smell from headrests and it makes a very nice Korean econobox. Add to that fake murdered grill, swap Hyundai emblem to something like Batman, add fake exhaust tips on the right side to make it seem like it's a 600hp V8 twin turbo and you are all set! Oh I forgot about cheap cracked windshield, but you can always swap it to a cheaper one on driveway calling Safelite! Ahhhh, now that's better. That's what a good Korean quality should feel like. 🤡 :poop:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I loved my 2021 and I love my '23. They are not perfect cars, just perfect for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good 'ole Palisade! Where insulations are cheap and gaps are plenty! We use a foam tape to fight with wind noise! And we still run the risk of catching fire due to faulty tow harness! Add to that a stinky smell from headrests and it makes a very nice Korean econobox. Add to that fake murdered grill, swap Hyundai emblem to something like Batman, add fake exhaust tips on the right side to make it seem like it's a 600hp V8 twin turbo and you are all set! Oh I forgot about cheap cracked windshield, but you can always swap it to a cheaper one on driveway calling Safelite! Ahhhh, now that's better. That's what a good Korean quality should feel like. 🤡 :poop:
I've seen some of the responses to people's posts, and I'm wondering why insult or attempt to insult strangers? These are people that are staying in their lane by purchasing a vehicle that they like and can afford, but may not want theirs to look exactly like everyone elses. No one thinks they've purchased anything other than what it is, and for the money, it's a very good product. My first choice was actually a BMW X7, but after watching many reviews, one of them caught my goat. The reviewer said the Palisade was 80% of the vehicle that the X7 and Escalade are for less than 50% of the price. With that in mind, I decided, for what I'll mostly use it for (work related travel, carrying my employees to different locations, and transporting my dog) the more inexpensive Palisade would be the way to go. That being said, my Calligraphy is quite nice for the money, and has some really good features that even my Lexus LS does not have. I blacked out all the chrome or polished aluminum via wrap, and changed the rims to some very nice black rims, and it looks exactly like I wanted it to, which is a blacked out Palisade. Kia actually sells a blacked out version of the Teluride, which is called the Nightfall Edition. Caddy Sells a blacked out Escalade, as does BMW with the X7. Many other maufacturers sell blacked out editions of their vehicles. Some people simply like a vehicle, but prefer a bit of individuality. No one's trying to fool anyone.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts