Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2023Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my Palisade Limited 2021 doesn't exhibit the dreaded whistling noise or unexpected wind issues; I am experimenting.

I purchased some insulation off of Amazon and installed it on all four door edges. I plan to address the hatch and additional areas of the doors later this week.

I took it for a spin at 65 miles per hour and was pleased with the initial results. Depending on the road surfaces; I recorded a decibel drop between 1 and 4 . It was extremely windy.

Really quite pleased. I will update as I proceed.
Sleeve Grey Font Technology Brand
Sleeve Grey Font Technology Brand
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Audio equipment
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Fender Electrical wiring Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Shelf Electrical wiring Audio equipment
Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Wood Composite material Gas Cable Circle

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is awesome. Would love to see pics of the finished work. How many rolls did you get for all 4 doors?
It's still a work in progress; I drove around town for two hours . Highway, city, and county roads. It is definitely not my imagination; still another option I want try on the lower door panels.

I have noticed when washing the car at the at the local car wash using the manual spray wand; I always have soap residue after rinsing and drying. It's not that big of a deal; just open doors and wipe.😀 I've thought if that appears, then sound or air might seep in too.

I am thinking of installing a strip the same s I size as the factory insulation that comes stock. I just have to find it; I don't want to order from the dealership.

Right now I am really nitpicking....if I don't do anything else, it's been satisfying to not only hear the results but to visually see the results on the meter.

Now to find that size weather stripping.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's still a work in progress; I drove around town for two hours . Highway, city, and county roads. It is definitely not my imagination; still another option I want try on the lower door panels.

I have noticed when washing the car at the at the local car wash using the manual spray wand; I always have soap residue after rinsing and drying. It's not that big of a deal; just open doors and wipe.😀 I've thought that if that appears, then sound or air might seep in too.

I am thinking of installing a strip the same s I size as the factory insulation that comes stock. I just have to find it; I don't want to order from the dealership.

Right now I am really nitpicking....if I don't do anything else, it's been satisfying to not only hear the results but to visually see the results on the meter.

Now to find that size weather stripping.
I forgot to add. I purchased 2 each 2- Pack. I believe each role is 16.5 feet . I have used 3 of them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That last photo you posted, showing the added strip wedged up against the stock insulation piece, is the same spot I installed the .38 in foam tubing insulation on my front doors. It makes the door harder to close, but I will leave it installed.

My rear doors I haven't completely solved yet. I thought I had discovered where the little bit of wind noise was coming from, but my guess was wrong. It's not obnoxious, but there is more wind noise from the rear driver side door than the front door for sure. The front doors are vault quiet now so that makes the rear door noise more noticeable. Again, it's not awful, but since the interior of the Palisade is so quiet I have come to notice this little bit of wind noise emanating from somewhere in the rear door area.

·
Registered
708 Posts
thanks. I'll likely give this a try. I like the idea of your fix having the tape on one side. The tubing I used holds fine in the gaps, but it is press-fitted in there so the chance of it slipping out is always there. I could use my .25inch diameter tubing, and the door closes normally, but I figured the .38 tubing is tighter, and tighter must be better? hahaha

thanks for the Amazon link

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That last photo you posted, showing the added strip wedged up against the stock insulation piece, is the same spot I installed the .38 in foam tubing insulation on my front doors. It makes the door harder to close, but I will leave it installed.

My rear doors I haven't completely solved yet. I thought I had discovered where the little bit of wind noise was coming from, but my guess was wrong. It's not obnoxious, but there is more wind noise from the rear driver side door than the front door for sure. The front doors are vault quiet now so that makes the rear door noise more noticeable. Again, it's not awful, but since the interior of the Palisade is so quiet I have come to notice this little bit of wind noise emanating from somewhere in the rear door area.
thanks. I'll likely give this a try. I like the idea of your fix having the tape on one side. The tubing I used holds fine in the gaps, but it is press-fitted in there so the chance of it slipping out is always there. I could use my .25inch diameter tubing, and the door closes normally, but I figured the .38 tubing is tighter, and tighter must be better? hahaha

thanks for the Amazon link
You are welcome! We all bounce ideas off each other. I've gotten lots of info and learned a lot here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I found this on Amazon and plan to install on bottom of at least front passenger doors; possibly rear also. Arriving Sunday. I will see it affects door closure.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stripping arrived and I installed it on Driver's front door ( wife thinks I'm spending to much on accessories) LOL!

I started the strip on the bottom of the door and ran it along the edge all the way to the top. I left the previous strip I had installed in place and the new was placed over it. No issues on door closure.

This looks promising. 😀
Hat Storage basket Wood Basket Natural material
Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Shelf Automotive design Motor vehicle Food Shelving

I will address the other 3 doors later today; gotta watch the New York Yankees spring training game ( wife's a fan.)

The strip can be split to address other areas if needed. I am going to look at the edges under the hood to help keep dust out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All four doors completed. I decided to add a strip tucked along inside the stock stripping in the frame also. This makes doors slightly harder to close. After getting a meter reading tomorrow I will decide if I leave it there.

Before doing what I did today I got a reading of between 61 and 63 decibels at 65 miles per hour yesterday. We will see.
Car Vehicle Hood Steering part Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Car Window Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Luggage and bags Automotive design Automotive tire Bag Personal luxury car
Wheel Peripheral Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Hood Automotive tire Window Motor vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive lighting
Shelf Automotive design Motor vehicle Food Shelving

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vehicle Speedometer Car Automotive mirror Motor vehicle
Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer
I want to know after all the work, did it help? The issue I have is the outside noise and the wind noise. I don't have the whistle but I feel like the noise from outside gets in too easily.

Here are my original readings at 75 miles pet hour and 65 miles per hour.

So my reading yesterday of between 61 and 63 at 65 was quieter. I am hopeful that with the additions today it will register lower. I will test it tomorrow.

It was just a tad louder than my wife's BMW X3 with it's stock insulation. It is now quieter than my wife's car in my opinion. I use the meter to test and verify what my ears are telling me.

Everyone will get different results based on where they are starting from. It's important to know what the decibel level is at the beginning.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bottom line I have a drop of 3 - 4 decibels at both 65 and 75 miles per hour average over various roads and wind conditions. Today my weather app showing 8 miles per hour.

I never had from the beginning what I considered a wind or whistling problem. I am now quieter than my wife's BMW.

It's all subjective. Every one's sensory perceptions are different.

Doors are closing fine; I'm going to leave it as is. I'm satisfied.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts