Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I'm new, so please tell me if this is not right place to post.

I am also considering Palisade vs X7 (vs Q7). We have a family of 5 - kids are age 8/7/2. Main use case is daily driver/road trips. I buy a new car like once every decade or two, so while the X7 is pricier, the price diff won't be the deciding factor. More trying to figure out which will serve our family best. Also I don't mind a car that is fun to drive :)

What do you think of space in X7 vs Palisade given our family size? If we take the car to the mountains and snow, which one will handle the kids + a bunch of gear? Will it be adequate as they grow to teenager-sized peoples? Any other thoughts for a long-term car?

(Kids want a bench seat - they like to sit side by side)

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
we cross shopped the Q7 and the X7 which was quickly eliminated due to price getting to the 90K$. We have yet to drive the Palisade to the mountains but that is our goal.
It's more roomy than the Q7. we have 3 kids as well. they are 11, 13,15 so they dont want to sit next to each other. Even with the Palisade we will use a Yakima box on top to hold all the skis, boots, snowboards, etc.
My friend ended up getting the Q7 for his 3 kids of similar age. Yakima box on top for gear and ski/board rack on the hitch. Definitely less room room inside for cargo.

Q7 is more fun to drive though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This post is a very detailed comparison of Palisade and X7.

credit to @CVP33

·
Banned
674 Posts
Interesting choices. For me:

Palisade - $52K fully loaded Caligraphy. I believe the best you’ll find nowadays is $1K off MSRP. Great vehicle, amazing tech, awesome space, great mileage. A little noisy inside and less refined. But at $20K less there are going to be trade offs. Most complaints I hear/see are around the lack of folding mirrors, dual exhaust, more performance. None of that bothered us during our 12 mos and 17K miles of ownership.

Q7 - $85K built to match the Palisade. We didn’t try to negotiate on this one but Audi dealers are notoriously tough. Best interior period. Also amazing tech, especially the driver interface. Terrible mileage, terrible space and definitely the sport oriented of the bunch. We only test drove this one and didn’t go any further. Its really a terrible 3 row SUV if you need to transport 6 adult humans. But it is incredible to drive and the fit/finish is amazing.

X7 - $83K built to match the Palisade and beat it in several categories, except space. The Palisade is the roomiest, especially in the 3rd row. I was able to get at least 3 dealers to $12K off sticker. The BMW is everything you’ve heard and it beat both the Mercedes and Audi in all head to head tests that I’ve read. The tune-able suspension and experience modes are pretty cool and actually change the steering, throttle response and suspension mapping. The BMW has a split personality in sport or comfort mode. It’s easily the quietest and most composed of the 3 in comfort mode and nearly the match of the Audi in sport mode, although not quite. Hard to believe this thing gets 27mpg on the highway and will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds......if that’s your thing.

·
Banned
674 Posts
For the record my perfect SUV would:

1) Cost $51K like the Palisade
2) Have the interior space of the Palisade.
3) Have the exterior styling of the Telluride, except add 22” wheels and dual exhaust.
4) The interior of the Genesis GV80 - that interior is absolutely perfect! Better than the Mercedes IMO.
5) The performance of the BMW X7 in M50i trim and not the lowly 40i that I bought.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It depends on the size of your and tall they will grow. My family, all girls, are 5'9" and fit comfortably in front a 2nd row. They sat just to try 3rd row and fit nicely, but seats were not comfortable for them. I am 6'4" 250 lbs and forget about the 3rd row. It wont happen unless it is an emergency. Second row is comfortable for me, but I always drive whatever car we use.

The 4 of us just spent a mini vacation in the Smokey Mountains. The Pali drove nicely with the just the 4 of us and normal gear... backpacks, water and hiking sticks.

On road trips, highway driving, I let the Pali drive me.

2020 limited..

·
Registered
455 Posts
For me the factor that would keep me from buying the Europeans is owing them out of warranty will be costly, more than likely. OP says they want to own this car for 10 plus years?

so the question you need to ask yourself is, are you willing to pay for repairs out of warranty?

all my friends who have owned their BMWs, Mercs or Audis past their warranty periods have told me they’d never do it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the fact that you're even considering these side by side suggests it's a no brainer to get the palisade. invest the difference for your kids in an S&P index fund and change their lives with that 30K compounding over time

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
94 Posts
Our kids are 8/6.5/just-3 and we got the bench... I made some notes here: 3 kids (with various levels of car seats) across the...

Short version is that you won't have any good access (that I could find) to the 3rd row until you get at least one of them out of a booster. This is not a ding specific to Hyundai.. in general I'd say few of the auto companies place sufficient value on making their family-haulers family-friendly... ie. lack of LATCH anchors, LATCH anchors on the wrong side of the belt buckle, too-recessed-for-kids-buckles, seat belts coming from high on the pillar (across the kids necks) vs. from the seat-back (which would be lower).

So in 2-3 years, it'll be a versatile car for you.. but for now it will be 2 rows with a generous trunk.

If you aren't in a rush, it would be worth waiting to see what the 2021 Pathfinder is like (ie. the 2nd row can tip forward WITH car seat installed), and/or if Honda ever updates the Pilot (they won't be smart enough to do it, but they should copy the 2nd-row sliding "magic seat" function from the Odyssey (ie. gives you both capt chairs and bench))

The Atlas is also has a more kid-friendly 2nd-rown, but I strong prefer cloth seats (for the southeast US summers), and the only Atlas trim level with cloth is the very base model.

I looked all the way up to the $70k levels and couldn't find anything more configurable.

The Expedition has a 2nd row middle bench which can be removed easily (<10 minutes) (resulting in effectively having capt chairs), but alas the Explorer does not (I was told > 1 hr to remove the 2nd row middle)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just to touch on raggity1's comments - full coverage, $0 deductible for 10 years 120K miles is available for $1398 from Burlington Hyundai. This is a genuine Hyundai warranty, not a third party. For someone that keeps their cars until the wheels fall off (me) extended warranties give a lot of piece of mind, and $1398 is a screaming deal. I doubt the cost for a similar factory extended warranty for an X7 or Q7 would even be in the same time zone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe I have been spoiled by my previous vehicles. Most of them have been driven 10 years except a 2005 highlander that lasted us for 15 years and was running great when we traded it in. I have never purchased any type of extended warranty. I have never needed one. Maybe I just jinxed myself but I steer clear of extended warranties. We have only owned Toyota, Honda and Hyundai vehicles. The loan exception was a Mazda 626 that we leased and that thing was a pos. I couldn't wait to turn that thing in and be done with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Q5, my dad a Q7 and we just bought a 2020 Canadian Palisade Ultimate coming from a 2011 Honda Odyssey.

The Palisade was the safe choice and in my opinion, a compromise.

I find the acceleration adequate for such a large vehicle that runs on regular fuel.
It will never be as "fun" to drive as the Q5/Q7, but the interior legroom, headroom usable 3rd row, and truck space can not be beaten (I'm 6'5", my 16 yr old son 6'3" and growing).
The largest complaint from the rear passengers is nausea on twisty back roads, the Palisade does not corner as well as either the Audi or the Honda minivan.
The driver assistance tech works well but is not as refined as the Q7 or Q5. The 360 camera is also much better in the Q5/Q7.
The MMI with the sound system is much better on the Audi. I use Waze through Android auto and is it is hard to get the radio station info (XM or FM) at the same time.

Things that are missing on the Palisade which are weird for me.
  • no lock on the glove compartment.
  • much smaller gas tank than I'm used to (only about 650 km range).
  • seat memory is not linked to the key (a feature even my 2011 Honda has).
  • I prefer the motion sensor of the Audi to unlock the car VS the push button of the Palisade.
  • folding mirrors when locked is missing.
  • I prefer having some radio preset physical buttons like in the Audi.
Palisade is better than the Q7:
-more storage areas
-more leg and headroom
-more affordable
-cheaper fuel (Q7 uses premium gas)
-cheaper for parts, accessories, repairs, warranties, and price.
-a less shiny target for thieves
-larger trunk
-has a spare instead of run-flat tires
-larger dealer network (more choice for getting repairs done)
-I also like when the driver's seat reverses all of the way back when the engine turns off which makes it easier to exit the vehicle.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Here’s how Doug DeMuro saw the new Tahoe. At the end you can see how he ranks 3 row SUV’s that he’s tested. If you put any faith in his Doug scoring method.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Remember Eric our OP is cross shopping two $80,000+ vehicles. It’s doubtful he’ll be scared off by a $73,000 MSRP.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Remember Eric our OP is cross shopping two $80,000+ vehicles. It’s doubtful he’ll be scared off by a $73,000 MSRP.
I'm aware. It should still be mentioned as a point of comparison.

Also, this is a public forum. People other than the OP also read this thread and may appreciate having this info.

·
Banned
674 Posts
LOL....it is. In the video, but thanks? As for others joining the conversation, the math will be the same and irrefutable. If you have headroom up to $85K then the new Tahoe is less and easily fits in the consideration set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new, so please tell me if this is not right place to post.

I am also considering Palisade vs X7 (vs Q7). We have a family of 5 - kids are age 8/7/2. Main use case is daily driver/road trips. I buy a new car like once every decade or two, so while the X7 is pricier, the price diff won't be the deciding factor. More trying to figure out which will serve our family best. Also I don't mind a car that is fun to drive :)

What do you think of space in X7 vs Palisade given our family size? If we take the car to the mountains and snow, which one will handle the kids + a bunch of gear? Will it be adequate as they grow to teenager-sized peoples? Any other thoughts for a long-term car?

(Kids want a bench seat - they like to sit side by side)

Thanks!
I’ve owned (or leased) several luxury vehicles (Cadillac, Lincoln, Xfinity), but this vehicle represents an extreme value, for what you get. It’s not as powerful as the X7 or other imports, but it’s adequate. I too go to the mountains, but usually take my 4 wheel drive Ram pick-up truck, because of traction and size. The tires (factory) on The Palisade are not sufficient for winter mountain travel, but you will find all kinds of tire upgrades on this forum.

The Palisade is big enough for a large family, but not for all your gear. I don’t have a large immediate family, but I could never get all my gear required for an extended mountain trip in The Palisade. With interior packing management, I’m sure you could make it work. Overall, I recommend The Palisade to you, just for the value it represents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts