Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I fully understand the details of the allocation process for the new mid engine Corvette, having lived through that and getting our 2020 Vette, I am new to the Hyundai allocation process......

BACKGROUND:
We put a deposit down with a near by dealership for a '22 Calligraphy yesterday. They anticipate getting about 6 allocations next time. The order they put in for us just specified that it's a Calligraphy, with the Hyper White exterior and Navy/Light Beige interior. They said they don't specify any further options so what they get may have some items we might not want, or missing some we do want. Those can be dealer ordered anyways.

So my real questions are....... when the dealer get an allocation, does that mean that the order goes into the queue at Hyundai in Korea, and then get scheduled to be built, then they build it several weeks later, then spend 4 weeks on a ship, then who knows how long to get unloaded, then travel from the port to the dealer ?????

OR: When the dealership gets their allocations in the next couple weeks, does it mean that Hyundai in Korea has built these vehicles as they see fit, and ship all kinds of colors, and trim levels to the Hyundai USA Distribution centers and AT THAT POINT get matched up with allocations ??? In that case it would be significantly shorter wait time.

Anyone really familiar with how the allocation process work ?

Thanks !

Richard

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
While I fully understand the details of the allocation process for the new mid engine Corvette, having lived through that and getting our 2020 Vette, I am new to the Hyundai allocation process......

BACKGROUND:
We put a deposit down with a near by dealership for a '22 Calligraphy yesterday. They anticipate getting about 6 allocations next time. The order they put in for us just specified that it's a Calligraphy, with the Hyper White exterior and Navy/Light Beige interior. They said they don't specify any further options so what they get may have some items we might not want, or missing some we do want. Those can be dealer ordered anyways.

So my real questions are....... when the dealer get an allocation, does that mean that the order goes into the queue at Hyundai in Korea, and then get scheduled to be built, then they build it several weeks later, then spend 4 weeks on a ship, then who knows how long to get unloaded, then travel from the port to the dealer ?????

OR: When the dealership gets their allocations in the next couple weeks, does it mean that Hyundai in Korea has built these vehicles as they see fit, and ship all kinds of colors, and trim levels to the Hyundai USA Distribution centers and AT THAT POINT get matched up with allocations ??? In that case it would be significantly shorter wait time.

Thanks !

Richard
It’s kind of the latter, not the former. Dealers don’t order cars direct from South Korea. They get an allocation from Hyundai America. I assume they have some leeway in requesting some colors here and there, but they probably get an allocation of various trims and colors without having too much of a say in it

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric ! I'm hoping that then they put in their allocations, that the cars are already built and in Hyundai America's distribution centers awaiting assignment to specific dealers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thanks Eric ! I'm hoping that then they put in their allocations, that the cars are already built and in Hyundai America's distribution centers awaiting assignment to specific dealers.
Oh I think the supply chain is so tight and this car is so popular, that allocations happen before the cars are shipped or even built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One dealer offered me to place a factory order which would take between 8 to 12 weeks. I did not go further into the details because I am trying to get one before that.
Your dealer may not be fully honest with you? If you are in the US Hyundai dealers cannot factory order cars like you can when you build out a Chevy or a Ford. Dealers in the US request allocations and they usually know what they are months in advance and they don’t always get what they request, it all depends on their standing with Hyundai and what’s being produced. If they can get you something in 8-12 weeks that’s honestly not too bad. I waited ~20 weeks to get my allocation and if I had gone with a Calligraphy like I originally wanted I would have had to wait another 12 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally got our Palisade and this was my experience (obviously ever dealer will be different and not be the same as mine). I “got on the list” Labor Day weekend ‘21 I originally ordered a Calligraphy Hyper White exterior and Navy/Light Beige interior and just picked it up 1/19/22 and this was with switching to a limited model. I was ok switching to a limited but I would not budge on color or interior which is part of what made me wait so long. My dealer offered me a few other color options but I wanted to wait for the hyper white. If I had waited for a Calligraphy it would have been another 12 weeks.

I was originally told I would get my allocation beginning of November and well…that slipped into end of January. I hold no ill will or hard feelings against the dealer. They kept me informed as best they could and they gave me other options if I didn’t want to wait and never pressured me. Once you get a VIN for your car you can start to get some info about it. If you see a VIN on Hyundai USAs website that says ‘in transit’ that means it is either on a ship heading to the port or will be on the ship soon. Once something drops off Hyundai USAs site that means it has been delivered to port and that can take another 10-25 days before it gets to the dealer.

Good luck with the wait, it was hard to be patient but I promise it’s worth the wait. I was blown away by this car when I sat in it the first time. And every time someone sits in it for the first time they can’t believe it’s a Hyundai. It feels like driving a luxury car, the ‘self driving’ technology is amazing, and overall it is such a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Convert.......

Thank you for the replies ! I believe my dealer is being honest, and up front but was just wanting to get other opinions on how the allocation process works. What they told me is very much in line with your explanation. We were able to see one, and sit in it, although it wasn't the color combo we wanted. The dealer said that they WOULD contact me with any other allocation choices that they get and let me decide whether to move forward, or wait.

Any regrets NOT getting the Calligraphy trim level ? I too would accept a Limited if it was in the Hyper White with Navy/Beige interior if that allocation was offered to the dealer and no Calligraphy in sight. When I compared the trim levels, there were no deal breakers for me, but if given the opportunity, I would go all in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Convert.......

Thank you for the replies ! I believe my dealer is being honest, and up front but was just wanting to get other opinions on how the allocation process works. What they told me is very much in line with your explanation. We were able to see one, and sit in it, although it wasn't the color combo we wanted. The dealer said that they WOULD contact me with any other allocation choices that they get and let me decide whether to move forward, or wait.

Any regrets NOT getting the Calligraphy trim level ? I too would accept a Limited if it was in the Hyper White with Navy/Beige interior if that allocation was offered to the dealer and no Calligraphy in sight. When I compared the trim levels, there were no deal breakers for me, but if given the opportunity, I would go all in.
No regrets so far. The headliner isn’t as good looking as the Calligraphy but I’m already use to it and don’t think about it after a week. I wasn’t a fan of the Calligraphy rims so I was planning on switching those out. I’m glad I won’t have to drop another $5-6k on the car now :)

Everything between the two trims are minor cosmetic things so it really depends on how particular you are about the headliner, puddle lights, front grill, and rims. We got rear ended by someone going 45mph about a month before our car came in so we couldn’t wait any longer so that also factored into me being more ok switching to the Limited.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ too funny you mentioned the wheels. That is the LEAST favorite thing about the car to me. I much prefer the wheels on the Limited as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts

BACKGROUND:

Thanks !

Richard
Hey Richard,

Glad you started this thread, first congrats on your C8, I ordered my C8 Feb 2021, and received it July 2021 -- Awesome car -- and as I'm sure you're aware, what dealer you go to that has allocation for the C8 can mean the difference between a few months or even years.

I've been confused with Hyundai. First dealer I found was going to charge over MSRP by $5k. Also looked at the Kia Telluride, that dealer was charging $15k over MSRP (133% of MSRP??). Although we preferred a couple things with the Telluride (front grill and some interior features), I liked the technology offered in the Palisade much more! Anyway, put an order down for a 2022 Palisade Limited, Moonlight Cloud, AWD with the options we wanted ($2k deposit) on 11 Jan 2022. We were told it could be up to 90 days, but more likely around 60 before it would be in, with what they've been seeing. I see many comments that have stated in the U.S. you can't order a Palisade with what you want - but I seemed to have. I have of course seen some comments stating they will try to match it with what is coming, but that certainly wasn't the way that it was explained, when they discussed when mine would get built etc.

I am interested in if the 90 day delivery estimation seems reasonable with those that have received their cars recently. Time will tell, not in a rush, but would love it for Spring Break vacation the end of March... otherwise by July would work for summer vacation. I don't mind waiting, just like accurate information, and hope what I would receive from any dealership would be semi-accurate or to the best of their knowledge, not simply what I want to hear.

Thanks... and I'm sure we can find something to drive until the Palisade shows up... just with 2 people. Although we do have our 2013 Ford Explorer that I'm transitioning into the Palisade.
John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John,

I agree with you on the comments about the C8 and understanding the allocation process with GM.... I was crystal clear on understanding how that worked. Love our 2020, 3LT Z51 coupe!!!! Ordered July 24, 2019 took delivery Aug 31, 2020 after a 2 month GM strike, which delayed the start of production from Dec 2019 to Feb 2020, followed by Covid shutdown for 3 months and only running 1 shift.

Hyundai is another story. Can't seem to get a crisp grasp on how it works. From everything I've pieced together, from this forum, and talking with multiple dealers it sounds like although we may "think" that we are putting in an "order" for what we want, it really isn't an order going into the factory for a specific build but rather it's for when the dealer gets their allocation and is told by Hyundai USA what they can get and it may, or may not align with that I specifically want. Still trying to figure out if that means the vehicle is actually built at that point, or not.

The dealer I'm working with says they typically get 6 to 8 allocations each time, which they say is usually once monthly. I would be in the next available group, however from what I'm understanding that may be everything but the color combo I want, and / or trim level. So, even if they get an allocation for the trim I want and color combo does that mean it's built and just about to ship, or does it mean it will be in the next batch to be built ? Who knows????

Best of luck on your wait for your new Palisade to arrive.

Richard

·
Registered
19 Posts
John,

I agree with you on the comments about the C8 and understanding the allocation process with GM.... I was crystal clear on understanding how that worked. Love our 2020, 3LT Z51 coupe!!!! Ordered July 24, 2019 took delivery Aug 31, 2020 after a 2 month GM strike, which delayed the start of production from Dec 2019 to Feb 2020, followed by Covid shutdown for 3 months and only running 1 shift.

Hyundai is another story. Can't seem to get a crisp grasp on how it works. From everything I've pieced together, from this forum, and talking with multiple dealers it sounds like although we may "think" that we are putting in an "order" for what we want, it really isn't an order going into the factory for a specific build but rather it's for when the dealer gets their allocation and is told by Hyundai USA what they can get and it may, or may not align with that I specifically want. Still trying to figure out if that means the vehicle is actually built at that point, or not.

The dealer I'm working with says they typically get 6 to 8 allocations each time, which they say is usually once monthly. I would be in the next available group, however from what I'm understanding that may be everything but the color combo I want, and / or trim level. So, even if they get an allocation for the trim I want and color combo does that mean it's built and just about to ship, or does it mean it will be in the next batch to be built ? Who knows????

Best of luck on your wait for your new Palisade to arrive.

Richard
Thanks - same to you!

I just sent the email at the bottom for clarification from my salesman, will let you know what he says. Previously he had stated in an email to me asking where I was in the process, "You still in the prioritize list, and you will be there for about 30 - 45 days since the day of you made the deposit. Then the manufacture will pick your name and start building your vehicle, they go by order of deposit so is no way to push one car more than other one. In some point they will get yours, and soon as the vehicle its on production line we will have a VIN." --- Which certainly leads one to believe they would be building my car as spec'd.

Email just sent back---

Chris,

Sorry to bother you, just hoping to get some clarity on a few things, then I will sit back and wait for a bit.

I'm on a Hyundai forum, and the conversation there is that United States dealers cannot put in orders specifically with options ect. that customers want, but that they can try and match a car with what becomes available, or as close as possible.

I just hope to understand this -- will my car actually be built as mine and as ordered with the specs we went over, or will the dealership be looking to match my specs with a car that is built/made available. I'm sure you understand the nuance, and I understand Hyundai may do things different then Chevrolet for example. As I'm new to Hyundai, just hope to understand how the process works. Greatly appreciate your insight.

Also - can you let me know where I am and how many people are on your deposit list, just so I have an idea where I am in the queue? And is the deposit list queue handled at the dealer level or the national level?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t want to make any assumptions that I know more than a dealer but I am 99.9% positive you cannot “custom order” a Hyundai. This is my second Hyundai and we went through the same thing with our last one. Sometimes you can luck out to get everything you want but both of my Hyundais I was not able to get it 100% spec like when I ordered my F150 from the factory. If you dealer has some special agreement with Hyundai that would be pretty sweet, but I wouldn’t put it past then that they are telling you what you want to hear? Who know, keep us posted what they say.

Also if anyone needs a price comparison. My white/beige Limited ended up being $54K after taxes and everything. I got mine at a dealer in Utah.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well here is the meat of the questions I asked my dealership in VA, and the responses I received (Safford Hyundai). Hope this helps - I don't believe he would lie, and don't see any upside to him doing so, specifically in writing.

Q: I'm on a Hyundai forum, and the conversation there is that United States dealers cannot put in orders specifically with options etc. that customers want, but that they can try and match a car with what becomes available, or as close as possible.

A: We know and hear about it, its bad for other dealerships. However we work straight with Hyundai (that's why its so important for us the surveys), and they have a Long list of vehicles with us. What is truth In some orders they lets us know when they have another vehicle going to a different dealership same model and trim, and we ask the customer if they want that, while they are on the prioritized list.

Q: Will my car actually be built as mine and as ordered with the specs we went over, or will the dealership be looking to match my specs with a car that is built/made available. I'm sure you understand the nuance, and I understand Hyundai may do things different then Chevrolet for example. As I'm new to Hyundai, just hope to understand how the process works. Greatly appreciate your insight.

A: Yes!. They will build a vehicle with your specifications knowing you have a deposit on it, however if they already build one like that, they will let us know and we will send you the info soon as we get it, luckily if they did. If not we wait.

Q: Also - can you let me know where I am and how many people are on your deposit list, just so I have an idea where I am in the queue? And is the deposit list queue handled at the dealer level or the national level?

A: I can tell you its a lot of people for a Palisades on January with deposits, we have over a 120 deposits and you are on the 63 position. The deposits are handled it for us Safford Hyundai Springfield, none else, not all the dealerships work straight Hyundai in America (We own our vehicles). We don't share our information with any other dealership for Privacy purpose. The only people who know about your request is Hyundai USA and Hyundai Korea, that's why you are in a Priority list till they make or find your vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well here is the meat of the questions I asked my dealership in VA, and the responses I received (Safford Hyundai). Hope this helps - I don't believe he would lie, and don't see any upside to him doing so, specifically in writing.

Q: I'm on a Hyundai forum, and the conversation there is that United States dealers cannot put in orders specifically with options etc. that customers want, but that they can try and match a car with what becomes available, or as close as possible.

A: We know and hear about it, its bad for other dealerships. However we work straight with Hyundai (that's why its so important for us the surveys), and they have a Long list of vehicles with us. What is truth In some orders they lets us know when they have another vehicle going to a different dealership same model and trim, and we ask the customer if they want that, while they are on the prioritized list.

Q: Will my car actually be built as mine and as ordered with the specs we went over, or will the dealership be looking to match my specs with a car that is built/made available. I'm sure you understand the nuance, and I understand Hyundai may do things different then Chevrolet for example. As I'm new to Hyundai, just hope to understand how the process works. Greatly appreciate your insight.

A: Yes!. They will build a vehicle with your specifications knowing you have a deposit on it, however if they already build one like that, they will let us know and we will send you the info soon as we get it, luckily if they did. If not we wait.

Q: Also - can you let me know where I am and how many people are on your deposit list, just so I have an idea where I am in the queue? And is the deposit list queue handled at the dealer level or the national level?

A: I can tell you its a lot of people for a Palisades on January with deposits, we have over a 120 deposits and you are on the 63 position. The deposits are handled it for us Safford Hyundai Springfield, none else, not all the dealerships work straight Hyundai in America (We own our vehicles). We don't share our information with any other dealership for Privacy purpose. The only people who know about your request is Hyundai USA and Hyundai Korea, that's why you are in a Priority list till they make or find your vehicle.
Thanks for posting this 🙌 This is a much discussed topic on the forum so it’s nice to get some more info to add to the discussion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks........ for what it's worth, last Saturday they "put my order in" for a Calligraphy in Hyper White with the Navy/Beige interior.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts