Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I thought I'd hate the pushbutton. When we were originally looking at the Telluride, I thought the three things that would keep me from buying a Palisade were the pushbutton shifter, the lack of fog lights, and the lack of automatic folding side mirrors. The pushbutton gear shift turns out to be one of my favorite things. Took about two weeks to get used to it and now I freaking love it. The fog lights were a non-issue with the amazing headlight design. Still miss the side mirrors having an automatic folding option but I get so much more with this car that I don't really care.
Folding mirrors, had on my last SUV and didn't know it until I was returning the lease. Never had a need for it. Fog lights, I have never seen a vehicle with better lights than my Pali. I'm out in the country and it lights up the roadway to almost daylight 180 degrees in front.
You got the best of the two and you realize this everyday. Telluride looks like an older Range Rover, in and out. Palisade, looks like the future in and out. No shifter makes the entire center panel look more like an e car, the future. BTW, Hyundai has some incredible e cars coming!

·
Registered
343 Posts
The manual claims that while driving the pushbutton drive train won’t engage in the park or neutral.
yes it’s been along time since I had pushbutton transmission everything was back in 1961. So far the only issues I’ve had with the pushbutton transmission is the backing into the driveway and shifting to drive you definitely have to apply your foot on the brake before it will allow the shift change As well as the shifting into park and the auto brake engaging, but now that I know that your seatbelt needs to be on and you can shift from park in the drive or reverse in the handbrake will disengage 👍👍
Doesn't the brake have to be applied for any shift buttons changes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
On mine I have to hit the brakes to shit gears which is a very bad thing to do when going through a car wash and coming out the end. I followed a telluride through the car wash today and when he got to the end he just put it in gear and drove off. I never saw his brake lights come on. On my palisade I have to hit my brakes pretty hard before I can put it into drive and everyone behind me starts honking their horns at the car wash.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
175 Posts
I'm hating this shifter too. Installed LED reverse bulbs, and was going to test them without turning engine on (cold), and couldn't do it. Tried everything. So frustrating. And you cannot back out if you open the door, like when reversing on ramps, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just an historical note...my aunt's car in 1955 had push button shift on the dash so not a new idea. As I recall, it was an Oldsmobile but memory is shaky on that one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
At least in those old days, you were actually mechanically activating the tranny with those buttons. It's all electronic now.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
36 Posts
I have not tried it... but you should be able to shift to Neutral even while driving. Reverse or park would be bad...LOL

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
463 Posts
On mine I have to hit the brakes to shit gears which is a very bad thing to do when going through a car wash and coming out the end. I followed a telluride through the car wash today and when he got to the end he just put it in gear and drove off. I never saw his brake lights come on. On my palisade I have to hit my brakes pretty hard before I can put it into drive and everyone behind me starts honking their horns at the car wash.
Hand wash it, problem solved.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
41 Posts
A light tap is all you need, and it should only take a second... not long enough to cause an issue... plus the car wash rollers should push you fully off of the track, at which point you'd be on normal, level ground again and can then tap the brake to shift to you drive. I understand what you are saying, but I was able to get passed it.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
41 Posts
Hand wash it, problem solved.
I also no longer go to drive through car washes. I either wash it myself or use some ceramic spray wash that works great. I can no longer live with swirls in my paint. The Burgundy looks to good to treat it so badly. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
A light tap is all you need, and it should only take a second... not long enough to cause an issue... plus the car wash rollers should push you fully off of the track, at which point you'd be on normal, level ground again and can then tap the brake to shift to you drive. I understand what you are saying, but I was able to get passed it.
What you are saying was the same as my thinking but I have to come to a complete stop in order to put mine into drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are looking at the Palisade as our order for a Telluride has been in purgatory since January. But as this is the first vehicle that I will have ever owned with a push button shift, what happens if you drop something on the Park or Reverse buttons while driving? Does it shift into neutral or actually try and shift into Park or Reverse and destroy the drive train? I know it is a very slim chance of something like that happening, but if it would happen, it would happen to me!

Thanks
Thanks for asking this, and thanks all for the answers. We just bought a Calligraphy that should be delivered to the dealership on Friday, and I was just wondering about what would happen if my crazy dog hit the button while I was driving. No more concerns!

·
Registered
175 Posts
P and R would be locked out for sure, but not sure about N... but on most other vehicles you can go from D to N while underway, so it'd be logical if you can with the Palisade too. The good news is it should be harder to hit the N button than to bump a shift lever forward, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And even if it was to hit it, you just put it back in D, and continue on your merry way :).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts