Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at the Palisade as our order for a Telluride has been in purgatory since January. But as this is the first vehicle that I will have ever owned with a push button shift, what happens if you drop something on the Park or Reverse buttons while driving? Does it shift into neutral or actually try and shift into Park or Reverse and destroy the drive train? I know it is a very slim chance of something like that happening, but if it would happen, it would happen to me!

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am still in training since getting the car 3 months ago. Haven't been out much at all. I have to remember when shutting off the car that I have TWO steps before getting out.
ONE: put the car in PARK
TWO: Hit the Ignition Start/Stop button.
The engine is too dang quite and the car is too smooth running.

It's because the radio continues to play after the ignition is shut off. Is there a way to shut off the radio when the ignition is turned off?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just hit the Start/Stop button. It will automatically shift to Park first, then shut off the engine. I just wish it would automatically set the parking brake. As for the radio, just open the driver's door. That will instantly shut off the accessory power. Or accessory power will automatically shut off after a minute or so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine only applies the parking brake when parked on a slope. If parking on level ground it does not apply the parking brake. Every other car I've had with electric parking brake applied it every time the car was parked, or at least provided a setting to apply it or not apply it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine only applies the parking brake when parked on a slope. If parking on level ground it does not apply the parking brake.
Same here. Took me by surprise at first since I live in Louisiana and we have like 9 total slopes across the entire state.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine engages sometimes in certain parking lots. Seems like anything that has a slight grade will cause it to engage. I am happy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are looking at the Palisade as our order for a Telluride has been in purgatory since January. But as this is the first vehicle that I will have ever owned with a push button shift, what happens if you drop something on the Park or Reverse buttons while driving? Does it shift into neutral or actually try and shift into Park or Reverse and destroy the drive train? I know it is a very slim chance of something like that happening, but if it would happen, it would happen to me!

Thanks
I too had a negative experience with Kia not being able to deliver a Telluride in a reasonable amount of time. The salespeople were very cocky about the vehicle, not much into negotiation. The shifter is no problem in The Palisade, it will beep if you touch it while driving, will not go into reverse or park unless the vehicle is stopped. It took me longer to get used to the dial shifter in my Ram Pick-up, not an issue in The Palisade.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
I came from a Genesis G90 ultimate with the stick electronic shifter ,like the Telluride. Thought I'd hate the push buttons.
Now that I have gotten used to the push buttons I like them better than the shift by wire stick.
Guess I just never got used to, if you want to go in reverse you push forward on the stick shift lever
Then to go forward you pull back on the shift lever. It was the push forward to go to the rear that is wrong

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just hit the Start/Stop button. It will automatically shift to Park first, then shut off the engine. I just wish it would automatically set the parking brake. As for the radio, just open the driver's door. That will instantly shut off the accessory power. Or accessory power will automatically shut off after a minute or so.
It will automatically set the parking brake if needed. My driveway is on an incline and if I park on the incline pourin, it will set the parking brake automatically.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
For what it’s worth, we bought two Palisade this year. Love them Toyota only for the last 20 years

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you, it works. So simple. DUH

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks
The manual claims that while driving the pushbutton drive train won’t engage in the park or neutral.
yes it’s been along time since I had pushbutton transmission everything was back in 1961. So far the only issues I’ve had with the pushbutton transmission is the backing into the driveway and shifting to drive you definitely have to apply your foot on the brake before it will allow the shift change As well as the shifting into park and the auto brake engaging, but now that I know that your seatbelt needs to be on and you can shift from park in the drive or reverse in the handbrake will disengage 👍👍

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are not push button, they are touch button and you have to leave your finger on the drive mode for a second or so to change the gear. I am sure dropping something on it will not change gears. Another neat thing is when you want to turn the car off, all you have to do is have your foot on the brake and push the start / stop button. The car will automatically shift to Park and turn the car off.

Tom / 2020 Palisade Limited AWD and I love it.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
2020 limited AWD my push button shifter sure is a push button not just a touch button. Just touching does nothing.
With foot on brake just a quick push and it is in D or R. Don't have to have foot on brake to turn off engine, just push the start/stop button when it is in park
Or as you say will shift to park if you have foot on brake so car is not moving it will go tp park.
Dropping something on the buttons will not shift the car while it is being driven

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
185 Posts
I thought I'd hate the pushbutton. When we were originally looking at the Telluride, I thought the three things that would keep me from buying a Palisade were the pushbutton shifter, the lack of fog lights, and the lack of automatic folding side mirrors. The pushbutton gear shift turns out to be one of my favorite things. Took about two weeks to get used to it and now I freaking love it. The fog lights were a non-issue with the amazing headlight design. Still miss the side mirrors having an automatic folding option but I get so much more with this car that I don't really care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts