Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Or does it just use the cell towers like it would use a satellite net work.
I think there's a misunderstanding here in how GPS works. In an overly simplified manner, GPS satellites just broadcast the time. The receiver picks up that time and looks at the difference in what time the GPS said it was and what time it is when it heard it, and determines based on the difference how far away the car is from the satellite. When you know how far away you are from 3 or 4 fixed points, you know where you are. There's no back and forth communication between the car and the GPS satellites... they're up there just broadcasting away.

Yeah there is nothing in the car that talks to a satellite. Not the nav, not satellite radio. All the systems do is receive data. To transmit to a satellite, you’d need a satellite dish and the Palisade would be a news van.

Thanks
I should have known because I see I can send messages for 911 and ask Hyundai questions over the car system without a cell phone.
Our military satellite cell phones in Afghanistan only have a 5" rubber ducky and me can make contact with control in Colorado, But that probably uses special systems

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.