Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the far upper right hand corner of the 10 inch screen, there is a little battery icon with bars showing state of charge. What is it showing, would it be my phone, although I have never linked my phone to the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing a battery charge symbol.
What screen are you on when you see this
I have a bar signal in the top right corner when using navigation that shows
the strength of my satellite signal.
If I go thru a long tunnel it goes down

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Gene you just answered my question - the bars are the sat signal for Blue Link. That was my question.
'Thanks
Howard

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
310 Posts
I get a battery icon with level lines when I put my phone on the wireless charging pad. Maybe that's what you're seeing. It doesn't have to be paired with the car for it to show up.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Blue Link uses cellular networks, not satellites. GPS uses satellites.
Must be the modem in car has cell service because the signal level
shows up in mine even when I don't have a cell phone in Palisade.
My wife has a cell phone but I don't and never take it with me.
Regardless of how it works on page 10-10 of nav. manual it is
the blue link network's signal strength

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Must be the modem in car has cell service because the signal level
shows up in mine even when I don't have a cell phone in Palisade.
My wife has a cell phone but I don't and never take it with me.
Regardless of how it works on page 10-10 of nav. manual it is
the blue link network's signal strength
Yeah that’s what I mean. The cellular strength for the Blue Link modem. I was just pointing out that it doesn’t use satellites.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah that’s what I mean. The cellular strength for the Blue Link modem. I was just pointing out that it doesn’t use satellites.
Question: If you do not renew the Blue Link service after the 3 years, is the nav. inoperable?
Would you then have to depend on Apple Play, or Android?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will always have the Nav system with or without Blue Link. You would not have the other services like remote car finder, remote locking the car from a remote location, etc.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Question: If you do not renew the Blue Link service after the 3 years, is the nav. inoperable?
Would you then have to depend on Apple Play, or Android?
The nav remains operable after 3 years. And you can get nav updates for 10 years, even without Blue Link subscription. This is new: you used to need a Blue Link subscription to get the free map updates. Now you can get them for 10 years regardless. I just got it for my 2012 Sonata and I don’t have a Blue Link subscription.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric, maybe I'm confused. i'm under the impression that you can use certain aspects of Nav system like asking directions, even if you don't have Blue Link. is this not so?

My Corvette , after 8 years and without ONStar, still functions.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Eric, maybe I'm confused. i'm under the impression that you can use certain aspects of Nav system like asking directions, even if you don't have Blue Link. is this not so?

My Corvette , after 8 years and without ONStar, still functions.
Yes, you can, but it’ll use the internal map database instead of cloud services to route you.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
If you look at page 9-27 of the car infotainment system, it will show you how to check the gps satellites and reception,
read why the blue link works almost any where.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
it will show you how to check the gps satellites and reception,
The system uses GPS signals for positioning, and that is fed into bluelink, but the actual blue link features are handled via cellular data.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you look at page 9-27 of the car infotainment system, it will show you how to check the gps satellites and reception,
Blue Link is a service that works over cellular networks. It's a modem that has a data connection to the cellular network. It has nothing to do with GPS and satellites. The spec for the modem are listed on pages 10-16 and 10-17 in the infotainment manual.

The car gets its location from GPS satellites. That location can be used by Blue Link (to call emergency services to your location, for example), as @saxman242 just said, but Blue Link does not communicate via satellite.

Also, to clearly answer the OP's question:

If you have a cell phone connected over Bluetooth (note the Bluetooth icon):

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Since I don't have a cell phone, but send destinations to car from computer.
It would have to have a number for cell service to connect.
Not trying to argue with you, but would like to know how this actually works
Or does it just use the cell towers like it would use a satellite net work. without a phone connection.
Does appear from what you show that blue link obtains GPS from satellites and just communicates with Hyundai's service by sending the signals and receiving the signals over the cell tower network but not by the cell phone service.
Is that the way it works?
How does blue link identify my Palisade?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So how do I find out my blue tooth phone number?
Since I don't have a cell phone, but send destinations to car from computer.
It would have to have a number for cell service to connect.
No... A phone call doesn’t take place. It’s a data connection. The same way your cell phone receives a notification through the cellular network. Think about it: you don’t get a phone call every time your cell phone receives data. It’s just registered with your local cell tower who knows where to direct the data if it receives something destined to your cell phone. So you don’t need to know the cell phone number for your Blue Link modem - it’s all data.

This might help with unique identifiers for cell phones: A primer on mobile privacy and security

But I gotta ask... how else did you think it worked? It’s not like your car can talk to a satellite. It has to be over cellular network.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts