Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering about other owners' opinion of the push button shifter now that we've had time to get used to it. It wasn't my first choice when I saw it vs. the Telluride, but I don't mind it at all now. What's your opinion or experience?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would still prefer a traditional lever shifter, but the push buttons are far better than a dial shifter, like Ford's.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Much better than how Lincoln used to have it on their push button shifters. The start/stop button was right next to the drive button, so people would often shut the car down while trying to put it in drive.

Also happened to be right by where your hand naturally rested if you were adjusted the radio, so some people would shut the car off while driving accidentally.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Learned to drive on a stick shift and have owned at least one manual tranny car my entire life, so I've always been one to use the E-brake every single time parking the car.

I don't like having to peer around the steering wheel the engage or disengage the electric e-brake. But, a minor quibble. The push button drive selector to me is "gadgety." We all know by feel where R, N, and D reside in a standard gear level selector. Automakers trying to be new and different now have dials and buttons for this task. Yes, I know even with a standard gear selector it's not actually mechanically connected to the tranny any longer, but I still prefer them. You can make a 3 point turn much faster using a standard gear shift selector. :)

that Ford dial selector is a big FAIL. I had to use one for a week in a rental Expedition I rented (what a POS). And they actually put that stupid selector in the Shelby 500??? hahahahaha

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
I like it very simple to use i have 3 vehicles and all have different sifters rotary Ram , push button Palisade and column Mercedes .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am getting used to the push button shifter. One advantage I find is that when you come to a stop in your garage or parking spot, simply push the start/stop button and the car will shift into park, apply the e-brake, unlock the driver's door as well as stopping the engine, all with the one simple push. This feature is not available with a mechanical shifter such as on the Telluride. When you leave the next time, the e-brake will release automatically when you put the car in drive or reverse and touch the accelerator (as long as you have fastened your seat belt), so the awkward location of the e-brake button is no longer an issue.

Anyway, I'm getting used to the push button shifter, but still have to look to see where each gear is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It didn't take long to get use to it and now I kind of like it. I do miss having somewhere to rest my hand when driving but I'm sure I will get over that too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm just wondering about other owners' opinion of the push button shifter now that we've had time to get used to it. It wasn't my first choice when I saw it vs. the Telluride, but I don't mind it at all now. What's your opinion or experience?
I don't mind it at all. I do prefer the shifter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m still getting used to it but I find that I like it more than I thought I would. Only problem is finding a new place to rest my hand now that the gear shift is gone.
I totally agree on that. I learned how to drive with a manual/stick so I always had my hand on the gear shift up to now. Still feels odd, but I really do like the push button concept because I'm a gadgetry lover! Lol

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I learned how to drive with a manual/stick so I always had my hand on the gear shift up to now.
Resting your hand on the shifter in a manual is actually not good for the transmission. Pushes the synchros into light contact and can cause premature wear.

Think of the palisade as breaking bad habits

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like it a lot. Only problem is when I drive one of my other two cars also equipped with push button start, I sometimes forget to put the shifter in Park before I turn the ignition off. I like the convenience of one touch engine shut-off without having to shift the Palisade in Park before pushing the ignition button. One touch vs two touch...real first world problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've gotten used to it, but wish the buttons had a stronger visual distinction of which one was selected. At a casual glance, it always looks like I'm in neutral, which occasionally leads me to placing the car in a gear that it is already in, and then being slightly mocked for that with the dash message. Happens most frequently with the auto-hold, where I'll put the car into drive, even though it is already there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am getting used to the push button shifter. One advantage I find is that when you come to a stop in your garage or parking spot, simply push the start/stop button and the car will shift into park, apply the e-brake, unlock the driver's door as well as stopping the engine, all with the one simple push. This feature is not available with a mechanical shifter such as on the Telluride. When you leave the next time, the e-brake will release automatically when you put the car in drive or reverse and touch the accelerator (as long as you have fastened your seat belt), so the awkward location of the e-brake button is no longer an issue.

Anyway, I'm getting used to the push button shifter, but still have to look to see where each gear is.
I need to set up this feature, still, I think. The e-brake inconsistently automatically engages when I park (I think its related to parking on an incline) and it doesn't automatically disengage when I go back into drive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The e-brake does automatically engage on inclines, even pretty slight ones, but it will disengage when your seatbelt is attached, trans is in Drive or R and acceleration is applied. It's not always silky smooth (on my car at least) but it is reliable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts