Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Need some advice, since Hyundai can't give me a straight answer yet. I have a 2021 Palisade Limited AWD.
The car is suppose to pull 5000 lbs. I bought a brand new camper. Weighed 3285 lbs. Did everything right. Weight distribution was perfect and had the electric breaks fine and
Left the dealer with the camper and got on the freeway and the car not only would not go over 50 MPH but would not go out of 5th gear. RPM's would run from 4000 to 5000 and when I manually put it in 6th, 7th, or 8th gear and touched the gas, it would do nothing. It was like the engine being off with your foot on the gas pushed all the way down. I made it back to the RV dealer and they were very nice and took the RV Trailer back and refunded me the amount I paid for the RV. I had the sway bars, electric breaking, perfect weight, but have no idea what is going on. When I left the RV dealer, the car drove home perfect for over 600 miles. I need some input please.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had that happen to me towing a 4,200 lb trailer after using the paddles to downshift coming down a hill. It was like it was it 8th gear at 20mph and pushing the gas pedal did nothing. This was at 60mph. I finally pulled in and held on the right side paddle (upshift) and it went back to "D" and started working as expected. It appears that it locked it in a gear that was too high to accelerate. My only concern is there does not seem to be very much engine braking with Palisade and worried about riding the brakes on a long downhill in Colorado. I know the cruise will keep it at set mph using the brakes, but was hoping for more engine braking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that happen to me towing a 4,200 lb trailer after using the paddles to downshift coming down a hill. It was like it was it 8th gear at 20mph and pushing the gas pedal did nothing. This was at 60mph. I finally pulled in and held on the right side paddle (upshift) and it went back to "D" and started working as expected. It appears that it locked it in a gear that was too high to accelerate. My only concern is there does not seem to be very much engine braking with Palisade and worried about riding the brakes on a long downhill in Colorado. I know the cruise will keep it at set mph using the brakes, but was hoping for more engine braking.
I wasn't going down a hill and it would not come out of 5th....tried to go to 6th, 7th, and 8th and nothing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine happened about 6-8 miles after using paddle shifters to lower the gear and when going up a hill it would not downshift (it was locked in a gear). After I held the tight paddle in for a few seconds it went back to "D" and started shifting as expected. This led me to believe you can lock it in a specific gear for a period of time. I have not had time to explore further as it is my DW's daily driver. I drive a Miata.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BobMc Not trying to be rude, but what does all of this have to do with my towing problem, although I am happy for you. I would never drive a Miata

·
Registered
28 Posts
...what does all of this have to do with my towing problem?
... I would never drive a Miata.
Obviously, nothing. My apologies. I’m guilty of topic drift. That should have been a PM.
...& you just might change your mind IF you drove one.
Now, back to your tow problem. I WOULD like to know the answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously, nothing. My apologies. I’m guilty of topic drift. That should have been a PM.
I am too big to fit in a Miata. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could figure this out too BobMc. I have had a lot of input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We drive a 2016 ND MX-5 and our new 2021 Pallisade Calligraphy. 'Love them both. Both are the best cars I've owned in 55 years of car ownership. Are you also on the Miata Forum?
Yes since 2015, NDGT is my name on www.miata.net. 103k and getting ready for the next 100k. Only car out of 43 that I have not wanted to get rid of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts