Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the most barebones SE I can get my hands on. No factory-installed roof rails. However, I would eventually like to get a roof rack. Can the factory rails be installed after the fact? I'm not talking about the cross bars, I'm referring to the lengthwise rails that the crossbars would attach to. Searching online, I'm only seeing the cross bars, for either OEM or aftermarket. Yakima does have a universal set that "clamps" onto your roof, but looks kinda janky and doesn't seem like it would do the body panels and its paint any favors.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would speak to a Dealer or two. I have seen no way to add any options that that were not factory installed. That includes the Rails (SE) and Options packages to SEL, etc.

-Are there any mount points on your roof (any rubber/plastic nubs covering attachment point)? If there are no mount points I would suspect there is no sane way that is worth your while.

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
I would take a trip to your nearest Hyundai parts dept. and have them pull up a parts illustration and see what it might be needed for parts etc and it could possibly see if you want to tackle it or give you an installation price. I would think maybe headliner might have to come down and possible holes being drilled buts that just a guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would take a trip to your nearest Hyundai parts dept. and have them pull up a parts illustration and see what it might be needed for parts etc and it could possibly see if you want to tackle it or give you an installation price. I would think maybe headliner might have to come down and possible holes being drilled buts that just a guess.
I had the same question. Sitting at dealer now. The answer is yes. Part # 87270-S8000-XAA $405 per rail without installation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same question. Sitting at dealer now. The answer is yes. Part # 87270-S8000-XAA $405 per rail without installation.
Hi, Did you get the roof rails installed? How did it work out? Are you happy with the result? How much did it cost, including labor? Thanks much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am trying to figure out if it is worth getting the rails installed on my new 2021 SE with a bare roof. Anyone have details of what was needed? I'm wondering if there are mount points under the rubber gasket that fills the gap as I have seen in other cars, if so maybe DIY?

Is it just 87270-S8000-XAA and 87280-S8000-XAA, or are there other parts (obviously still needs a crossbar)?

I'm trying to decide between OEM rails and cross bars vs a bare roof install of something like yakima with possibility of scratching a brand new car and what seems like less flexible mount points vs the expensive EOM route.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told by 3 different Hyundai dealer parts departments that it's "not possible" to install the OEM rails on an SE, and that it was only available on the SEL and up. The Yakima BaseLine system looks decent, but I worried about breaking the seal of the weatherstripping around the door frames. I decided to go with a Stealth Hitch and Yakima EXO system instead as I'm mostly moving bikes and cargo that can't fit in the cabin with passengers. Someday I might need to add the BaseLine roof rack if moving something like a kayak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am trying to figure out if it is worth getting the rails installed on my new 2021 SE with a bare roof. Anyone have details of what was needed? I'm wondering if there are mount points under the rubber gasket that fills the gap as I have seen in other cars, if so maybe DIY?

Is it just 87270-S8000-XAA and 87280-S8000-XAA, or are there other parts (obviously still needs a crossbar)?

I'm trying to decide between OEM rails and cross bars vs a bare roof install of something like yakima with possibility of scratching a brand new car and what seems like less flexible mount points vs the expensive EOM route.
I can tell you that removing black plastic molding on top of vehicle reveals an empty channel. There is no pre tapped mounting holes. I ordered the oem rails and they have threaded bolts already installed on them 4 on each rail. While installing an overhead monitor to domelight I can see that it's pretty much headliner and roof nothing in-between. Vents and side airbags are out of the way for drilling. So my next mission is removing headliner or removing pillars one side at a time and gently pull headliner down so drill won't hit and i will drill and bolt rails to roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed last weekend it's not that bad there are marked (oblong circle indentions 4 per side) locations on roof looking from inside of car that line up where rail bolts need to go. Headliner just needs to be dropped. I left 2 front pillars hooked up to wires no need to disconnect them. Need to drill thru roof and just make sure you drill just enough to pop hole because airbag is below. Another option is you can place something hard over airbags just in case you drill too deep and hit them. Rails do not come with locknuts I bought some 6mm locknuts and washers. I painted drilled holes with nail polish and siliconed each hole then just mounted. It is very secure and no leaks. Not sure why dealerships say this can't be done. Maybe scared of hitting airbags would be the only reason I can see but if you know how to handle drill or just cover airbag where drill pops thru with something hard will prevent you from hitting airbags. To be honest the only airbag area that comes close is the one above driver seat.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
79 Posts
Wrap the drill bit with tape 1/4" up and that will act as a stop from going too deep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts