Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is quite interesting to decipher the markings on the bottom corner of your window glass, particularly the front side windows. There are numerous safety, comfort and security reasons to understand this glass. I am by no means an expert but take an interest in these markings.

My SEL Palisade has 4 bottom symbols. My understanding of these is as follows:

1) A thermometer with a swooping arrow: the glass has UV protection.
2) A pic of a person inside the brackets: the glass meets tempered requirements, also qualified by the above AS2 designation.
3) A hammer with a swooping arrow: the glass is shock and intrusion resistant.
4) A human ear with a swooping arrow: the glass is acoustic and helps limits sound to the passenger compartment.

Of the above characteristics, #1 and #2 are quite common/required, with the #3 and #4 not as much encountered on a more economy oriented car. Windshield glass must always be laminated and side windows must be tempered. Acoustic windshield glass is becoming much more prevalent.

Several interesting things I discovered. In the last 2 pages of the Palisade pamphlet that show the options; it lists that with the SEL with the (convenience package) comes with acoustic glass, however, I don't have that package on my SEL and I have the symbol for acoustic side glass. Curious what other have or if this is a misrepresentation in the pamphlet. This option should be standard on the limited.

It is also somewhat worth noting that with the wind noise phenomena that many are experiencing, the fact that the side glass is designed to obstruct noise more than standard side auto glass is a little interesting. Now that doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, since we don't know if the wind noise is a seal issue or if it is the sound of air rushing over something; in which case if the Palisade did not have acoustic side glass, one could possibly surmise the wind noise would be experienced even louder? Or maybe acoustic glass does not do a good job of sequestering the frequency of the sound of wind?

Lastly, I want to point out that the front side glass is impact/shock/intrusion resistant as many sources define it differently. This is critical to know if one became entrapped in the vehicle and needed to get out. This type of glass would be very difficult, if not impossible to defeat, even if one was armed with a glass breaking tool. Many vehicle manufacturers are starting to include stronger side glass, often laminated, to reduce occupants from being ejected from the vehicle.

Even with a carbide glass breaking tip, this type of glass is a serious barrier. Most often the 2nd and 3rd rows of glass do not have this feature and should be able to be shattered much more easily. My Palisade does not have this type of glass in the 2/3rd row, but because of the discrepancies I wrote above with the Palisade pamphlet, I cannot say what kind of glass your Palisade has unless you check firsthand to ensure the correct markings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is quite interesting to decipher the markings on the bottom corner of your window glass, particularly the front side windows. There are numerous safety, comfort and security reasons to understand this glass. I am by no means an expert but take an interest in these markings.

My SEL Palisade has 4 bottom symbols. My understanding of these is as follows:

1) A thermometer with a swooping arrow: the glass has UV protection.
2) A pic of a person inside the brackets: the glass meets tempered requirements, also qualified by the above AS2 designation.
3) A hammer with a swooping arrow: the glass is shock and intrusion resistant.
4) A human ear with a swooping arrow: the glass is acoustic and helps limits sound to the passenger compartment.

Of the above characteristics, #1 and #2 are quite common/required, with the #3 and #4 not as much encountered on a more economy oriented car. Windshield glass must always be laminated and side windows must be tempered. Acoustic windshield glass is becoming much more prevalent.

Several interesting things I discovered. In the last 2 pages of the Palisade pamphlet that show the options; it lists that with the SEL with the (convenience package) comes with acoustic glass, however, I don't have that package on my SEL and I have the symbol for acoustic side glass. Curious what other have or if this is a misrepresentation in the pamphlet. This option should be standard on the limited.

It is also somewhat worth noting that with the wind noise phenomena that many are experiencing, the fact that the side glass is designed to obstruct noise more than standard side auto glass is a little interesting. Now that doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, since we don't know if the wind noise is a seal issue or if it is the sound of air rushing over something; in which case if the Palisade did not have acoustic side glass, one could possibly surmise the wind noise would be experienced even louder? Or maybe acoustic glass does not do a good job of sequestering the frequency of the sound of wind?

Lastly, I want to point out that the front side glass is impact/shock/intrusion resistant as many sources define it differently. This is critical to know if one became entrapped in the vehicle and needed to get out. This type of glass would be very difficult, if not impossible to defeat, even if one was armed with a glass breaking tool. Many vehicle manufacturers are starting to include stronger side glass, often laminated, to reduce occupants from being ejected from the vehicle.

Even with a carbide glass breaking tip, this type of glass is a serious barrier. Most often the 2nd and 3rd rows of glass do not have this feature and should be able to be shattered much more easily. My Palisade does not have this type of glass in the 2/3rd row, but because of the discrepancies I wrote above with the Palisade pamphlet, I cannot say what kind of glass your Palisade has unless you check firsthand to ensure the correct markings.
Great posting and now I will have to check out the glass symbols on my cars. However, my theory on the side window noise is that it is a function of the seal design. The noise increases with speed suggesting that it is due to air leakage. But I dunno. Obviously door and seal design is a complex subject. What I have noticed is that the doors on our 2016 Sorento which we replaced with the Palisade, almost closed by themselves and never had any wind noise. A function of the door hinge and closing mechanism and compliance of the door seal I would guess. It is going to be a tricky affair to achieve a tightly sealing door while minimizing the force required to compress the seals.
But actually the wind noise on our Palisade is not that all that bad. Maybe some variation on the assembly line?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine never used to be that bad and all of the sudden it is consistently horrible. I use to try to ignore it with the constant excuse of a "bad crosswind" but now that does not matter, something it significantly wrong, even on calm days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts