Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Ultimate Calligraphy
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our 2021 Palisade for a week. I haven't called the dealer yet about this but wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing.... My husband has back problems and when he uses a cushion between himself and the passenger seat, the passenger airbag is not activated. Nor does it recognize that a person is there in that it doesn't beep to fasten the seat belt. Very strange! When he removes the cushion, the air bag is activated and the beeping starts, for him to fasten his seatbelt.
Anyone experience this?
Many thanks!
Linda near Toronto Canada

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have had our 2021 Palisade for a week. I haven't called the dealer yet about this but wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing.... My husband has back problems and when he uses a cushion between himself and the passenger seat, the passenger airbag is not activated. Nor does it recognize that a person is there in that it doesn't beep to fasten the seat belt. Very strange! When he removes the cushion, the air bag is activated and the beeping starts, for him to fasten his seatbelt.
Anyone experience this?
Many thanks!
Linda near Toronto Canada
I'm not a current Palisade owner (still shopping), but from my experience with other cars, if the side of the passenger seat is pressed down with something, airbag is deactivated. On out of town trips, my wife sometimes takes a nap by leaning on to the passenger side window, which causes pressing of the seat, and the passenger airbag is deactivated. As soon as she stays in position (not leaning to the right), the airbag activates. You might want to do an experiment on your Palisade.

·
Super Moderator
2,397 Posts
Your seat cushion is not letting him put any pressure on the sensor, maybe to stiff
or thick. Hopefully some one else has a lower cushion that works for them
The sensor for the passenger is in the bottom seat cushion, not the back of seat.
When no one is in seat it shows yellow message it is off. I can set in seat without
leaning on back of seat at all and the yellow seat sign will go off. The red light will
come on if I don't have the seat belt on. As soon as I fasten the seat belt that will
also go off.
If yours works different take to the dealer.
You might stop by an Auto Zone explain what is happening, they should let you
try any cushions they have in stock before buying

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sorry for your pain. I have back issues as well. Unfortunately, according to CR if I am not mistaken any modification of seats by cushions, etc. risk effecting the safety systems in various ways. It is best of you can get a comfortable fit by seat position/s/lumbar support built etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning,

An update to my question earlier on the airbag not engaging and the light staying on. In doing some more research I found someone had tried RFID fabric under their cushion. I tried this and it is working great. The airbag light goes off. I purchased mine thru Amazon. I have attached what I purchased below. I hope this helps others facing the cushion issue. Thank you for this forum.

Faraday Fabric-EMI RFID Shielding-Block WiFi/RF Anti-Radiation Military Grade for Radiowave Microwave and Radiation Protection Nickel Copper Fabric, RFID Blocking Material 36"x44" inch

·
Registered
482 Posts
I can sympathize with the back pain. I don't need a pillow but can not use a lumbar support to apply pressure to my lower spine without pain.

If my memory is correct, it goes back to a spate of deaths caused by overly charged airbags in the right front and small people, children and frail adults. It was common practice to put car seats and toddlers riding shotgun. The Government intervened requiring proportional sensing and deployment of right side bags, deactivation of right side bags when small passengers are in the right front seat because there is no rear seating and when carrying a load in the right seat. True, not deploying when the seat is empty is a cost saving scheme for the consumer and insurance industry as well.
Perhaps your dealer or a place that specializes in handicap adaptive equipment can better help address the issue with the pillow spreading the weight across the sensor.
This is a technical article that describes the variable sensors in the seat (circa 2000). The pictures of the sensor array and distribution are interesting. https://www.furukawa.co.jp/review/fr020/fr20_16.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2021 Palisade for about a year and a half. I purchased seat covers for the front seats but they ONLY cover the middle of the seat leaving the sides exposed. Here's my problem: The passenger air bag light on the dash keeps saying that the air bag is OFF. Does anyone know how to turn it on so it remains on? I am thinking it is probably because of those seat covers but not sure. Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts