Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this automatic parking brake very dangerous. Mine engages on a flat service. The other day I was parked at the mall (flat). When I left the parking spot there was a truck to my right that I could not see around. The parking brake was engaged :-( . You have to 'gas it' to release it - when I did, a person was walking right behind be to the right out of sight. The detectors (which work when they want too) did not warn me. If I did not have to gas it and slowly went backwards I would of seen her.
Again, parallel parked on a slight hill it engaged. When I went to leave the car behind me was too close I could not 'gas it'.
The worst - it engaged while in neutral in the car wash. At the end the vehicle just spun in its track - could not get out. They had to shut down the car wash and give me a push to disengage the brake.
Is there a way to disengage the brake without gassing it???

· Registered
150 Posts
Perhaps this diagram will be helpful -- Pull/push to engage/disengage

Vehicle White Product Motor vehicle Automotive design

--
P.S.: Proper automatic engagement should normally occur only on grades. If yours engages on flat level surfaces, the grade inclination sensor may be faulty and/or require adjustment.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
838 Posts
You don't need to gas it to release, all you need to do is tap the pedal or hit the button on the left side of the dash.

· Registered
23 Calligraphy AWD Moonlight/Beige
75 Posts
I find this automatic parking brake very dangerous. Mine engages on a flat service. The other day I was parked at the mall (flat). When I left the parking spot there was a truck to my right that I could not see around. The parking brake was engaged :-( . You have to 'gas it' to release it - when I did, a person was walking right behind be to the right out of sight. The detectors (which work when they want too) did not warn me. If I did not have to gas it and slowly went backwards I would of seen her.
Again, parallel parked on a slight hill it engaged. When I went to leave the car behind me was too close I could not 'gas it'.
The worst - it engaged while in neutral in the car wash. At the end the vehicle just spun in its track - could not get out. They had to shut down the car wash and give me a push to disengage the brake.
What year is your vehicle?

· Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
444 Posts
It sounds like you must use auto hold. When you have auto hold enabled, it will automatically engage your parking brake when you shift into park, even if you aren't on an incline. This would also explain your car wash issue... you need to turn off auto hold before you enter a moving car wash.

As you have figured out, you can automatically disengage the parking brake by buckling your seatbelt, putting the car in gear, and pushing the accelerator. But you don't have to floor it. Just a light foot will suffice.

And don't forget that you can always disengage it the good old way, with the switch on your dash, as mentioned earlier.

· Registered
15 Posts
It sounds like you must use auto hold. When you have auto hold enabled, it will automatically engage your parking brake when you shift into park, even if you aren't on an incline. This would also explain your car wash issue... you need to turn off auto hold before you enter a moving car wash.

As you have figured out, you can automatically disengage the parking brake by buckling your seatbelt, putting the car in gear, and pushing the accelerator. But you don't have to floor it. Just a light foot will suffice.

And don't forget that you can always disengage it the good old way, with the switch on your dash, as mentioned earlier.
The first part is not true, auto hold does not engage the parking brake. It just maintains boost in the master cylinder simulating the driver holding the brake.

What likely happened in the car wash is that he unbuckled his seatbelt after putting it to neutral, causing the car to park itself and set the EPB.

Essentially this is all user error..

· Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
444 Posts
The first part is not true, auto hold does not engage the parking brake. It just maintains boost in the master cylinder simulating the driver holding the brake.

What likely happened in the car wash is that he unbuckled his seatbelt after putting it to neutral, causing the car to park itself and set the EPB.

Essentially this is all user error..
I didn’t say that auto hold engages the parking brake when it’s actively working, I said that if you have the auto hold system on (standby, effectively), it will always engage the parking brake when the car turns off.

Give it a try yourself. If you have turned on auto hold during your drive and still have the system ready when you turn the car off, it will engage your parking brake. Every time.

Similar thing in the car wash. If the auto hold system is on (standby), it will not let you move. Auto hold should always be off going into a car wash.

· Registered
15 Posts
I didn’t say that auto hold engages the parking brake when it’s actively working, I said that if you have the auto hold system on (standby, effectively), it will always engage the parking brake when the car turns off.

Give it a try yourself. If you have turned on auto hold during your drive and still have the system ready when you turn the car off, it will engage your parking brake. Every time.

Similar thing in the car wash. If the auto hold system is on (standby), it will not let you move. Auto hold should always be off going into a car wash.
Ok, you didn't say that - but it also isn't applicable to OPs carwash thing, because he shouldn't be putting the car in P, nor turning the car off inside. Auto hold has nothing to do with his issues.

But regardless, everyone of OPs issues can be fixed by learning how to use the button, so moot point.

· Registered
2023 Calligraphy FWD; Moonlight Cloud, Black Interior
94 Posts
Happens to me at the car wash about 75% of the time.
scenario: auto hold is off, car is in neutral, about the time I get to the dryer section of the conveyor belt the emergency brake engages.
You can’t simply press the emergency brake button to disengage, you must tap the brake and simultaneously press (or pull) the emergency brake button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts