Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- what mode would be best to take my pallisade on the beach? Snow and locked in AWD???
Obviously I’ll deflate the tires appropriately but was wondering about the drive mode.

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
Sounds about right.
Just remember worse thing you can do in loose deep sand is stop.
Keep moving at a good clip or wait for firm harder spot to stop.
You have less than 8 inches of clearance so easy to bottom out
if you stop in deep sand and try to startup again.
Best to have someone else with a second vehicle around

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drove some of the beaches in the Outer Banks last year with my truck. The tire pressure went from 60 to 15 PSI to give more surface area for traction. I had a shovel,a couple of shackles, some chain, recovery strap, and 2 wooden planks in the back of the truck for either a fellow stuck traveler or myself. In those travels, many people were equipment similar or above what I had on board. Every type of 4 wheeled vehicle was seen. Jeeps, trucks,and SUVs. I did some sand driving years ago so I broke some of the rust off. As Gene suggested, don't stop if at all possible especially in soft sand. Give wide berth to on coming traffic or wildlife. Keep your eyes down range looking at others and their paths. Some times you may see others travelling in a certain section to avoid the softer terrain, parked vehicles enjoying the surf, or even an animal nest like sea turtles. If you do get stuck, don't panic. In more traveled areas, there will be others with the means to maybe get you unstuck. I would not count on it if where you are going may have less people. The other advice I can offer is give a wide berth to others whether they are parked on the beach or traveling.

In my truck I ran both 4 Wheel High more compacted or even just less loose sand and 4 wheel Low in some of the softer sections I drove on the beaches. You had to determine what the conditions were ahead for mode selection. I would say definitely AWD locked as that will give power to all 4 tires. As for the drive modes, I would check for a sand mode but I would think snow would work as well.

One last thing I would say is to get a portable air compressor so when you come off the beach, you can reinflate the tires. good luck with your travels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It will be a well travelled beach area here on long island. I have acquired all the required equipment to get the permit (portable air compressor, Jack pad, tow cable, etc). Thank you for all the tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts