Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cross shopping the Palisade Limited with the 2020 Highlander, and Lexus 450h for 6 months. Multiple test drives. One stay-in-home order kinda got in the way, HA!
My wife and I really like the Hyundai Palisade Limited a lot. Neither of us need a great handling road car because that's no our driving style. The interior, comfortable ride, engine power, styling and all the other great features suite us quite well. However, on a recent test drive, at 60-70 mph or so, I felt that the steering response, which is always relaxed, was a bit on the "too loose" side. On curves, even at 40 it felt a bit sloppy to me. Kinda felt the rear end swaying the opposite direction from the turn direction. Is that under steer? I've never driven a car that felt that way. Does anyone else felt this driving experience like I do?
Is this the normal way this car drives and I should just get used it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've never felt mine is sloppy it anything like that. What you're talking about sounds more like low tire pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it felt just like low tire pressure. The car did just come in to the dealership the morning I drove it. There was protective plastic wrap all over the interior that the salesman removed before I drove off the lot. Would the tire pressure monitor not detect excessive low pressure? I did have the car in smart mode. Would that have an effect? Looks like I'm going to have to test drive again. Darn virus will screw that up though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car drove flawlessly at in-town normal traffic speeds. Open road cruising conditions @ 45mph on a curvy country road or when changing lanes on the freeway is where I experienced the swaying. I never felt unsafe though as I was just cruising, not pressing the pace. I hope its was just low pressure. We want this car but I would not buy it if this was a common issue. I would be concerned about maintaining control during a sudden avoidance/emergency situation. We live in the country where deer strikes are a daily concern.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We want this car but I would not buy it if this was a common issue
Definitely not a common issue.

The car measures tire pressure (and displays it in the dash for you), but if it was just at the threshold of tripping a pressure warning, it may not have alerted you.wouldnt be uncommon at all for a car that's just off the truck to have the pressure set wrong. Usually they show up way too high, but the opposite could happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car drove flawlessly at in-town normal traffic speeds. Open road cruising conditions @ 45mph on a curvy country road or when changing lanes on the freeway is where I experienced the swaying. I never felt unsafe though as I was just cruising, not pressing the pace. I hope its was just low pressure. We want this car but I would not buy it if this was a common issue. I would be concerned about maintaining control during a sudden avoidance/emergency situation. We live in the country where deer strikes are a daily concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want to be sure the lane warning feature wasn't on. I had the same sense the first time I drove a telluride. thought it was way to sloppy. Since then I've come to realize it was the computer engaging and trying to make the car steer back into the lane. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, yes I did have lane keeping assist on. One more thing to look at on my next test drive.
So is the computer putting on one rear brake as in electronic torque vectoring or just making a steering change? Does the lane keeping assist have the capacity to calculate g-force on a turn as well as the front camera seeing the lane markings and anticipating that a correction is required?

·
Registered
716 Posts
It is adjusting the steering. You'll feel it in the wheel. Cameras are looking forward at the lane markings and it factors in your speed, etc to adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You might want to be sure the lane warning feature wasn't on. I had the same sense the first time I drove a telluride. thought it was way to sloppy. Since then I've come to realize it was the computer engaging and trying to make the car steer back into the lane. Just a thought.
Yes - especially with HDA on. It felt really weird to me until I figured out what was going on. And it did happen to be when I was going around a curve.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lane keep assist is a lot less troublesome if you use turn signals all of the time when changing lanes. But is does have some 'original' interpretation of some of our local road markings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lane keep assist (LKA) and Lane follow assist (LFA) are two different technologies, and operate a little differently. When enabled, LKA is active anytime the vehicle is going over 40 MPH (in my experience it's more like 37-38 MPH). It attempts to prevent you from unintentional drifting into another lane. It can actively correct such a mistake by both turning the wheel, and by changing the power distribution to one or more wheels. The later may feel like understeering. Another tidbit, although the manual states that LKA will only work then the Palisade can see lane markers on both sides, my experience was been that it will often work when only one lane marker is available, although I haven't tested this extensively.

LFA only works then smart cruise control (SCC) is turned on, but it can work at any speed.LFA doesn't use any kind of torque vectoring but actively controls the wheel. You can always tell when it is on, because the wheel will become firmer, requiring more force to turn (which is a good thing; it's noticeable, but not strong enough to prevent any intentional wheel movements).

I've definitely had a few surprises with LKA on turns, especially on highways with narrower lanes (e.g. construction zones). However, LKA will also notify you with a sound an when it engages, so I'm not sure if that is happening in your test drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks grimzecho. This the best explanation yet. I think what I felt was the LKA working. I have never driven a car with this level of active driver assist before. After the first time I experienced it I proceeded to over steer on some curves just to confirm the sensation in my mind. There was no active steering response but a change in power distribution to the wheels might be the cause of the "flat tire" effect I felt. The car didn't feel unsafe. I just wasn't prepared for the corrections which is concerning at highway speeds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts