Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to learn when only picking up the vehicle going through the truck with the salesman that XM was not available, thankfully I have it as an App on my phone, but Not Cool. XM should be Standard. I was going to xfer from my other truck but now I’ll just cancel my subscription. You need to buy the Navigation package which is BS. Hyundai should figure out a way to download XM media for those not wanting their navigation. Say you don’t have a phone? All vehicles should have it and let the consumer decide to pay for a monthly subscription or not. The truck does have a satellite antenna- Otherwise so far I Love the truck. First year out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noticed that prior to buying my SEL. That's why I opted for SEL fully loaded. Hindsight though I should've just opted for a limited.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PaulNaz,

I was also shocked when I realized this. I had become so accustomed to cars having XM radio that it was something
I would never check for and assumed was on my SEL Palisade. To not get XM radio on a car as sophisticated as the palisade at ANY trim level is unacceptable.

I understand the palisade it offering a lot for the price point, but not having XM radio standard, considering I have had it on any car I have purchased in the last 8-10 yrs, some cars being far more substandard than the palisade is just upsetting.

Not having XM radio on any vehicle these days is a slap in the face and like offering a car without power steering. I also can't believe that the SEL trim does not have a compass. Remember the days when one had to put the suction cup floating compass on the dashboard of the car.

Can you imagine having to drive a car as advanced as the palisase, at ANY trim level and need to put a old school compass on the dash? I'm speechless that it does not have the compass or XM radio. These days those are standard options across the board on even the most primitive cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hyundai knew what they were doing. They know people don't usually opt for navigation anymore due to Android auto and apple car play. So they added xm radio and blue Link to it to get that extra $1250 out of your pocket. Honestly I actually like their native navigation better than Android auto except for manually entering an address. The voice recognition works great though. Best native navigation I've ever used. Wouldn't have known if it wasn't for me wanting xm and the screen

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too just purchased what I thought was a fairly well equipped SEL only to discover on my way home from the dealer it did not have XM radio (and having been told in error by the dealer that it did). Does anyone know if a quality way to get XM on the vehicle still being able to leverage the infotainment system and steering wheel controls? I've found one option that looks 'ok' at best but seems to have most of the functionality - it's a $340 tuner kit from Vais Technology. Anyone else have any options?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too just purchased what I thought was a fairly well equipped SEL only to discover on my way home from the dealer it did not have XM radio (and having been told in error by the dealer that it did). Does anyone know if a quality way to get XM on the vehicle still being able to leverage the infotainment system and steering wheel controls? I've found one option that looks 'ok' at best but seems to have most of the functionality - it's a $340 tuner kit from Vais Technology. Anyone else have any options?
Install the Sirius/XM app on your phone, then connect your phone to the car (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto)? That should at least let you control the volume through steering wheel controls. Don't know about changing channels, but at least you'd be able to use the main screen to do that instead of the phone, since the Sirius/XM app is compatible with CarPlay & Android Auto.

You might even be able to use voice control to change channels (I mean Siri/Google, not the car's built-in voice recognition), but I don't know for sure, as I am not a subscriber to Sirius/XM. I do know you can get to Siri (and I presume Google) by holding down the voice button on the steering wheel (if you only press it briefly, you get the car's voice prompts), so if their app supports that, that could work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know too much about SiriusXM, but a quick gander at their website tells me their phone app is compatible with Android Auto and CarPlay. Wouldn't that be a perfectly viable way to use it? Honestly, I can understand the decision here on the part of Hyundai: why go through the trouble of adding a proprietary system which will only inevitably become outdated/etc. as time moves on, when you can just have AndroidAuto/CarPlay and let users leverage their own phones? Makes much more sense to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Drivers package which also requires the Convenience package offers a lot functionality including HD Radio (Bluelink, hda, xm, wide screen, gps, shark fin antenna etc vs wip antenna, etc). Also think you have to get the Sun roof with those options. And I believe Drivers is needed with Premium for Camera capable Blind spot.

- I have neither just the SEL.

I probably would have opted for the Drivers if could have gotten it Solo.

Without even adding the Premium your getting close to the price of the EX Telluride.

That said i went in aware of trade offs in Cost and Features between Palisade and Telluride Trim levels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was shocked to learn when only picking up the vehicle going through the truck with the salesman that XM was not available, thankfully I have it as an App on my phone, but Not Cool. XM should be Standard. I was going to xfer from my other truck but now I’ll just cancel my subscription. You need to buy the Navigation package which is BS. Hyundai should figure out a way to download XM media for those not wanting their navigation. Say you don’t have a phone? All vehicles should have it and let the consumer decide to pay for a monthly subscription or not. The truck does have a satellite antenna- Otherwise so far I Love the truck. First year out.
I can only imagine that Hyundai will make this right in their 2021 model. I can get XM through app and Carplay, but I Opted for the free XM receiver I installed with a separate antenna. You tune it through an available FM station that XM assigns on their website using your zip code. Reception and sound quality poor, but would say the SEL stereo poor as well. My Pathfinder SL stereo was much superior. Having XM available only by purchasing the Navigation package is just wrong, I had a paid subscription.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was under the impression that with Premium and Drivers and of course (also requires Convenience). You get Center screen displayed Blind spot Camera view instead of it appearing in Alternating left and right side of digital gauge cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know too much about SiriusXM, but a quick gander at their website tells me their phone app is compatible with Android Auto and CarPlay. Wouldn't that be a perfectly viable way to use it? Honestly, I can understand the decision here on the part of Hyundai: why go through the trouble of adding a proprietary system which will only inevitably become outdated/etc. as time moves on, when you can just have AndroidAuto/CarPlay and let users leverage their own phones? Makes much more sense to me.
Difference with receiving XM through car play is that you are reliant on cell service and hopefully an unlimited data plan versus satellite which has better geographic coverage. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc coverages vary.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks I just rechecked again of course your correct in US both the Palisade and Telluride save BVM for top trim level. Its interesting cause I even asked the on line assistance for Hyundai and Kia and they stated otherwise. Well at least I was able to swap in LED bulbs:) I personally Had no expectation for BVM as I did not choose to add option packages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am at a car audio place right now. I purchased the Sirius kit but told them the most important thing to me is to be able to control my radio through my steering wheel. They are going to make sure I can even do that before they u stall behind the console. What a pain in the butt! I’ll keep u updated but if you’re anything like
Me, you’ve gotten used to controlling everything thru ur steering wheel and that’s gonna be a game changer for me.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry you were misinformed by your dealer. Did your SEL come with a Shark Fin (Sat /Radio/GPS) Antenna [matching body color]) or 6 Inch removable Whip style Antenna (black) as far as I know (always). I would say that if you have don't have the Shark Fin antenna you have to so something like you suggest.

I was misinformed of a few things (I think more from newbie inexperience with a new mode)l than malice. Won't bore everyone in this thread since it's not XM related.

I do not know anything about add on but following your info I see that these two devices together let your integrate XM and it works though the factory stereo and using the factory controls.

Product highlights:
  • add SiriusXM satellite radio to select Hyundai or Kia models
  • works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner (required, not included)
  • installs without radio removal
  • works with steering wheel audio controls
  • preset up to 36 of your favorite channels
  • channel and song info displays on your factory radio
I would Contact Crutchfield who have pretty good people and ask their Advice to start if the Vais is the best option. Its nice that works with the factory system. I would not pay for XM but would not mind getting a similar HD Radio option as that's free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may want to look into the XM aftermarket module, it may be able connect into the current radio. I purchased one off of Amazon or eBay for like $30.00 and transferred my account to the radio in my Tahoe

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree!! We didn't know there wasn't XM until we were leaving the lot. So, we ended up getting XM installed by a local car shop. $450. They did a wonderful job. BUT, I do not like that I cant have preset channels. That's what brings me to this forum. Is there a way to preset my favorite channels without having to go through all channels one by one. A little annoying. I probably should be on an XM forum....:cautious:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts