Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Palisade sel fwd - roadnoise from driver window

40K views 103 replies 41 participants last post by  lcv900 
#1 ·
I just got a new Palisade. When i test drove another palisade before buying this unit, i did not hear much road noise through driver window.

But in this Palisade when i dive >40 MPH it feels like air trying to gush in type of road noise. Is this normal?

#70 ·
Interesting read in the November issue of Car&Driver comparing the Korean twins with the new Explorer, CX5 and Enclave. When I look at the test result sheet it has the Palisade coming in the loudest at 69 decibels. The Telluride comes in the quietest at 63 decibels. I wonder if the difference is the wind noise I have experienced on my test drives of the Palasade. I haven’t test driven the Telluride to see if it’s quieter but that’s a huge difference. The Korean twins coming in 1st and 2nd in their total ranking is a nice double win!

#71 ·
I just got a new Palisade. When i test drove another palisade before buying this unit, i did not hear much road noise through driver window.

But in this Palisade when i dive >40 MPH it feels like air trying to gush in type of road noise. Is this normal?
I hear wind noise when driving the car from the side window as well. Design of the vehicle is usually what causes this. Some are better or worse than others but it should not leak air in if you feel it though.

#72 ·
Took my Ultimate in for an oil change and had the service manager do a ride along to hear the "noise". It normally is heard on the drivers side, but today it was really bad from the passenger side. He took a video, saying "this noise is unacceptable". He said that he will take this to his contacts in Hyundai Canada and will definitely get back to me ASAP. He also said the more people that bring this issue forward, the more likely it will be that Hyundai comes up with a fix.

#76 ·
I have also posted this on another thread to reach the maximum number of forum participants.

I have been pondering this wind noise for a while. I have tried moving the mirror, extra tape at the top of the windows, taping around the mirrors. No effect. Then I noticed that the hood seems to extend ever so slightly over the body of the Palisade thus creating a channel for air flow which possibly could be heard near the front of the outside windows. So I popped the hood to see if Hyundai had installed a rubber trim piece to seal this area. No such piece of rubber stripping, neither on the hood or the body of the Palisade. So I then checked my 15 Tundra and my 06 Lexus to see if they had a strip of rubber under the hood in this area. They both did. The Palisade did a fine job of covering this area with plastic shielding on the body of the vehicle but this still leaves a gap between the hood and the body for air flow. Could this be the source of the noise? I have read that a couple of people have had the window trim replaced to no avail. Could this be a viable solution?

#78 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, but from all the posts about the noise and wind issues, it feels like there are two different issues going on. One is the noise coming in the upper driver's and passenger windows. The other one is the noise that occurs when people turn on the climate control and change the settings.

#81 ·
My take on this is that the noise may be caused by higher air pressure inside the vehicle than the outside air. The noise is generated when air escapes to the outside. My bet is that the door seals are designed to keep the outside air from penetrating the cabin, not the other way around.

Something may be interfering with the operation of the 'flow through ventilation' vents under the rear bumper cover.

Then again, this could be a totally bogus thought. This theory suggests why the noise goes away when you recirculate the cabin air.

LeRoy

#89 ·
My take on this is that the noise may be caused by higher air pressure inside the vehicle than the outside air. The noise is generated when air escapes to the outside. My bet is that the door seals are designed to keep the outside air from penetrating the cabin, not the other way around.

Something may be interfering with the operation of the 'flow through ventilation' vents under the rear bumper cover.

Then again, this could be a totally bogus thought. This theory suggests why the noise goes away when you recirculate the cabin air.

LeRoy
So let's get back to the original thread subject after it was hijacked about carwashes..... Leroy, I think you may be on to something with your theory of inside/outside air pressure. And the rear bumper cover has me interested. Does anyone know how to access this area to check for a possible blockage ?

#82 ·
I am curious about your suggestion so I am going to try your suggestion about recirculation in the am. I will post my results if I notice any difference in the window noise level. Although my noise level is very tolerable compared to what I have been reading, a possible solution is worth further testing.

#83 ·
Hi I bought my palisade since 3 monthe and I noticed the wind noise from driver side now become annoying anyone try to figure out
And I do protection for external paint but after rains days I noticed there is so many like scratch on my external paint. I wash my car by automatically wash so I don’t know what’s going on

#87 ·
Hi I bought my palisade since 3 monthe and I noticed the wind noise from driver side now become annoying anyone try to figure out
And I do protection for external paint but after rains days I noticed there is so many like scratch on my external paint. I wash my car by automatically wash so I don’t know what’s going on

View attachment 398 View attachment 399 View attachment 400
Automatic car washes can leave fine scratches in the finish. I would suggest you find a different car wash.

#86 ·
#94 ·
I must say that after 3500 miles I still cannot discern a significant wind noise from the drivers side, or any windows. I do have very acute hearing, one of the few things that still works well on this ageing body. There is I guess, a small amount of noise from the window in a severe cross wind, but certainly no worse by any stretch of the imagination, than any other vehicle I have driven. Maybe it is a defect that occured with some vehicles, or perhaps one of those urban legends or myths that grow with repeating.
The non folding mirrors is the biggest criticism that I have with this excellent vehicle. Plus, still not a huge fan of the push button transmission selector.

#96 ·
It is a known issue, according to the dealer approximately 30% of the cars are experiencing this issue. I have filed a claim with Hyundai as is required for the lemon law. I received a call from the dealer yesterday and a TSB is due out in early December. My car has been in the shop 4 times since the end of June.

#97 ·
I have had an SEL for 3 Weeks. No significant wind or any other noise. Certainly cross wind as some have mentioned can be heard from time to time, better then other cars I have owned. Driven up to around 75 to 80 mph (mostly 60 to 75). Speed limit by me is 55 MPH on most roads (waze helps with avoiding tickets but no desire to push my luck).

The palisade is definitely quieter then my pair of 2005 Honda Odyssey (one of which I no longer have (hit and run by a truck). As a side note one Odyssey about a year before it was killed did have a pretty significant wind noise coming from the windshield under certain conditions. I took it to the place where the wind shield had been replaced it. The Noise seem to be coming off trim pieces over the windshield. It was quieter after they re-glued these down.

Best of luck to anyone with significant noise.

#99 ·

Both the front doors on my palisade have bad seals and when driving 60km or faster air comes in top of doors im worried in the winter the fine snow will get in and also noticed you can't lift the windshield wipers so almost impossible to clean snow and ice off

#100 ·
To lift the window wipers, you need to park them in the vertical position first. To do that, have the car running, then turn it off and within a few seconds of stopping the engine, lift on the wiper control switch and the wipers will move to vertical and park there. After that, you can lift them free of the windshield. Though if they are frozen in snow and ice, that becomes much more difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.