Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a F450 Dually + fifth wheeler for the last 12 years, but I'm now reentering the SUV towing world where weight and balance are much more sensitive. With 12 years of experience of controlling weights, I feel very confident that I can minimize and also accurately know my cargo weight.

I'm struggling to determine if I can pull a Rockwood Roo 19 with a 2023 Palisade AWD. The weight of this model has been going up about 100 lbs per year (2022-4298 lbs, 2021-4137 lbs, 2020-4056 lbs). So I'll probably be looking for a 2020 or earlier.

I'm also planning on using the trailer for more of a destination use. I'd like to drive it essentially empty from Florida to Montreal/Quebec City (1500 miles each way) and stay parked for 3 months. I can buy food and propane there. The road from Florida to Montreal and Quebec City is essentially flat the entire way (pick route carefully). So no hills of any consequence. And since I'm retired I don't have to drive fast either. I can drive it at 50-55 MPH. I'm also looking at what I can remove to reduce weight. I will always have 120 VDC power so I really don't need any propane (I use an induction cooktop) except for a small bottle for the BBQ grill. So I think I'll remove both propane bottles. And I'll probably use a lightweight lithium battery.

I understand that load sharing hitches have sway control benefits due to the friction of the sway bars. But I'm at a loss to understand structurally how a load sharing hitch differs from the capability of an added rear shock air lift, or shifting more weight to the rear of the trailer.

Additionally, its unclear which is more critical structurally, the pin weight, or the towing weight. And I haven't been able to find out how towing limits are set. How much margin is in the rated value? At what speed is the towing limit determined? My sense is that the moment (pin weight) introduced into the vehicle structure is more of a driver (bending load) than the towing limit, which is more of a tension load.

And what about the 80% rule of thumb? If the designed, analyzed, and tested limits are X, why do I have to immediately derate X by 20%? The manufacturer already has done a derating to get to the published limits.

Load Sharing Hitch
-Adds friction to reduce sway
-Slight increase in pin weight due to added hitch weight
-Adds spring tension moment to tow vehicle and opposite moment to trailer. This moment shifts weight from tow vehicle rear axle to the tow vehicle front axle. It also shifts weight on front axle of the trailer to rear axle of trailer.
-Tow vehicle tire wear should be more equalized
-Trailer rear axle tire wear may be negatively affected
-Allows tow vehicle & trailer to ride level

Air Bag in rear tow vehicle coil springs
-No sway reduction, no friction to reduce sway
-No change in pin weight
-Allows tow vehicle & trailer to ride level

Set pin weight to lower end of 10% to 15% of Trailer weight
-Pin weight reduction
-May start to impact sway
-I've noted some manufacturer set published pin weight very close to 10%, this doesn't give the owner much room for adjustment. This seems to be a deceptive ploy by the manufacturer to understate pin weight value.
-Slight improvement in leveling.

Anyway, any suggestions?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts