Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating (or both?)

8K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Josep 
#1 ·
Curious to hear your thoughts on getting PPF vs Ceramic Coating (or Ceramic Coating on top off PPF). Looking at XPEL and 3Ms for PPF. Did you get either? How much did you pay?

TIA

#3 ·
I looked at their website and it states 10 year warranty on the Ziebart ceramic coating. Three years I can believe, five years maybe but that's pushing it, ten years I find hard to believe so I hope you got something in writing and they back their warranty.

#6 ·
I’m actually in the process of getting ppf done on my palisade. I’m just getting the ppf and ceramic window tint, although I got a good deal on the ceramic coating but the wife’s eyebrows rose when I told her the total for all three so had to compromise which one I feel was needed more and decided it was the film and tint. I cal Always polish the car myself. Hoping to get it done next week after the holiday. I got a quote with Xpel, but am going with another well known brand instead. 10 year warranty

#7 ·
Both if you can afford it. Ceramic coating cost average $1,500 for something 3-5 years but most require annual maintenance which is additional cost of couple of hundreds.
High quality PPF runs from $2,500 for front up to the windshield to $7,000 for the entire car.
I professionally ceramic coated mine for the entire exterior including wheels and all windows.
Here is a video for the first bath after 2 weeks of ceramic coating

#12 · (Edited)
Both if you can afford it. Ceramic coating cost average $1,500 for something 3-5 years but most require annual maintenance which is additional cost of couple of hundreds.
High quality PPF runs from $2,500 for front up to the windshield to $7,000 for the entire car.
I professionally ceramic coated mine for the entire exterior including wheels and all windows.
Here is a video for the first bath after 2 weeks of ceramic coating

For my 2023 Calligraphy, I paid $1700 for the hood, $700 for driver and passenger door, rear bumper $150, door cups and mirrors n/c. Fender rims, $500. They used 3M PPF. I have it on my 2015 Avalon when I bought it new, PPF is still holding up. Cost was $1200.

#9 ·
I use mothers CMX ceramic spray coating on all of my cars for the last 2-3 years. Happy with the results but it’s 6 months before I need to reapply tops. What’s the real difference between these big box store ceramic spray products and the professionally done ceramic coatings? 20 dollars for a spray bottle that’ll do 3 cars once every 6 months or $2000-3000 per car for 2-3 years worth of protection? I struggle to justify the cost, but I admit I have no experience with professional ceramic coating

#15 ·
They're very different things. PPF protects the paint, ceramic coating makes it easier to wash. You can do either or both. I did a Modesto ceramic coating (also quoted as a 10 year coat) and it's been nice just having to give it a quick wash to make it look new. I would have liked PPF, at least on the front, but the total was adding up to quite a bit. Ceramic coat was $1600 + $300 for glass + $400 for leather interior. PPF was another $1k for the front. This was two years ago at Vive in Houston.

#16 ·
Agreed. PPF is what I use because in the southwest US, we have hard water. Ceramic coating won’t work for me because we have to use salt as our water softener, water is hard otherwise. I always take both vehicles to the car wash as they use an RO system thereby the need for no water softener. I use a waterless graphene ceramic spray on the remainder of the vehicles not protected with PPF. I apply with this after 3-4 car washes.

#19 ·
My Hyundai dealer does Llumar PPF. On my 2021 Palisade I got front end (all painted surfaces), 1/3 hood, roof forward of sunroof, front fender edges (aligned with hood PPF), door cups and edges, side mirrors for $1250 in 2020. In 2021 I took my new Ford Mustang to them for the same treatment for $1400. They machine-cut each piece and have software for any make/model. I previously had Llumar PPF on my 2010 Nissan 370Z for 12 years and 2013 Nissan Pathfinder for 9 years (back then they put a piece of PPF on and trimmed it to size with a razor blade). Both of those jobs looked like new when I sold the cars. I use Turtle Wax Graphene Infused Flex Wax over the top of the PPF and the rest of of the car. I chose it over ceramic sprays and other graphene sprays after watching some YouTube comparisons. Paint color pops, water beads for months and the cars stay cleaner longer. Dirt and grime don't seem to stick as easily, takes longer to "get dirty."

#24 ·
I am old and old fashioned I guess, seat covers, storage space protective mats, floor mats which I can sort of see because of living in Wisconsin, surface protecting sealants. I don’t understand the concept of dropping an extra 8 to 10k on a vehicle In order to provide the second owner with a pristine automobile, I just don’t see the ROI.

#25 ·
Maybe let people spend their money how they see fit? I own a car with 190K miles (not the Palisade) and the paint is shot from all the impacts and various other things thrown at it over the years. Makes me regret not protecting the paint when it was new. I’ll definitely do it on the next car. The Palisade is ceramic-coated.

This has nothing to do with making the car concours-ready or a return on investment. Simply wanting to keep the car looking nice.

#30 · (Edited)
23 Cali
I'm doing both.
I'm going to get a partial PPF on the front, then Ceramic coat all the car.

I'm already scheduled for the PPF. I found a place that will do it for approximately $520. I'm not willing to do it myself. Unfortunately, they don't do ceramic coating. I'm still waiting on a quote from another shop.

Prior to the quote I went to two other shops. One never got back to me. And the other shop quoted me approximately $4,000 for front PPF and ceramic coat.
Font Motor vehicle Parallel Rectangle Engineering

#32 ·
23 Cali
I'm doing both.
I'm going to get a partial PPF on the front, then Ceramic coat all the car.

I'm already scheduled for the PPF. I found a place that will do it for approximately $520. I'm not willing to do it myself. Unfortunately, they don't do ceramic coating. I'm still waiting on a quote from another shop.

Prior to the quote I went to two other shops. One never got back to me. And the other shop quoted me approximately $4,000 for front PPF and ceramic coat. View attachment 8641
Thats pretty cheap, what’s the warranty on that and what kind of film? If its good quality film then its a great deal, I paid 1800 for my 23’ its legend PPF with a 12 year warranty. Just looking out you may want to do some research on the kind of film if you haven’t. Out here in California I was quoted 1600 for ceramic coating with a pretty good known coatings I forgot the name since I did not get it done.

#33 ·
I thought it sounded low. I put a picture of what they ordered. It's a 3M partial PPF. Not sure about edges, but I will ask.
I think the price is low because the owners are my neighbors and they know my family. They have a legit business. They didn't say anything about a discount, and I'm not gonna ask, lol.

#39 ·
That's what I use. Application is super easy and the protection is really good. Just hit the car first with a random orbital buffer and their ceramic polish / wax if the paint needs a little correction then top with hybrid solutions ceramic hybrid wax after 24 hours. Results are impressive. If the paint hasn't been messed up by dealer you can skip the first step and just use the wax. Dealer did not mess up our Palisade paint but Kia dealer did a number on my Forte.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.