Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Palisade mid-August.
Dark Blue paint.
Already on the vehicle was a dealer add-on ($1k) paint protectant called Xzilon Green. Supposed to protect the paint from bugs, dirt, bird poop, acid rain, road paint, etc and make all mentioned come off easier when washing. (No protection from scratches, rock chips, dings.)

Fast forward around 4-6 weeks and 3000 miles, I notice spots that won’t come off the hood. I rub and lightly scrape with my nail with no success. Look closer and this is on the hood, roof, all quarter panels and doors . . . it’s everywhere, but worst is on the hood.

Take the car to dealer and they bring out the detail guy that puts on the coatings. He’s prob late 30’s, been doing detail work for 20+ years (so not your average teenager).

After going through the “blame it on the customer” questions (car is a month old; doesn’t matter if I had never washed it, took it to the equator, North Pole, or parked under a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth, this should not be happening).

Bottom line - we can’t figure out what these spots are or why this happened, but he takes the car and says it’ll take him a day to get the spots off. Five days later, I’m told dealer has made a warranty claim to Xzilon. Xzilon requested pics and they sent them. Xzilon requested quote to have vehicle repainted. Quote >$12k is sent.

Next day dealer calls me to see what I want to do. My thoughts are I certainly don’t want the car repainted. (Service advisor himself told me paint shop they had provide quote stated they really didn’t want the job as the car would never be the same.) Plus, this would void the Hyundai paint warranty.

Detail guy claims he CAN get the spots off, but it’ll take him 2 solid days of working on my car only (including reapplying the xzilon coating).

My bottom line is I have a two month old vehicle with paint that has been compromised. Am I crazy for thinking I want them to replace it with a brand new vehicle?

·
Banned
673 Posts
My guess is he'll be taking the clear coat down to remove the "spots" and then resealing. So here's my concerns:

1) Less clear coat is never a good thing.
2) The Hyundai paint warranty is already gone as I'm certain that any 'chemical paint protectant' applied to Hyundai factory paint is a violation of their warranty. Only a 3M vinyl coat would be allowed.
3) You are already in a place where your new car will NEVER be the same as new again.

In my opinion, you are owed a new vehicle. I'd dig my heels in and you'll possibly need to lawyer up as Hyundai USA has no dog in this fight given that the dealer has gone rogue here adding some paint protection for a price.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Crazy thinking, no. Is Hyundai to blame? I will say no. I would let the dealership attempt to buff out the paint as this will probably adversely affect your paint integrity over time. You should seek the 12K as cash from Xzilon and then trade the Hyundai in for another without the treatment using the 12k as a down payment to offset deprecation. Hopefully you will be able to reach an amicable solution that satisfies you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dark Blue paint.
Already on the vehicle was a dealer add-on ($1k) paint protectant called Xzilon Green. Supposed to protect the paint from bugs, dirt, bird poop, acid rain, road paint, etc and make all mentioned come off easier when washing. (No protection from scratches, rock chips, dings.)

Fast forward around 4-6 weeks and 3000 miles, I notice spots that won’t come off the hood. I rub and lightly scrape with my nail with no success. Look closer and this is on the hood, roof, all quarter panels and doors . . . it’s everywhere, but worst is on the hood.

Take the car to dealer and they bring out the detail guy that puts on the coatings. He’s prob late 30’s, been doing detail work for 20+ years (so not your average teenager).

After going through the “blame it on the customer” questions (car is a month old; doesn’t matter if I had never washed it, took it to the equator, North Pole, or parked under a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth, this should not be happening).

Bottom line - we can’t figure out what these spots are or why this happened, but he takes the car and says it’ll take him a day to get the spots off. Five days later, I’m told dealer has made a warranty claim to Xzilon. Xzilon requested pics and they sent them. Xzilon requested quote to have vehicle repainted. Quote >$12k is sent.

Next day dealer calls me to see what I want to do. My thoughts are I certainly don’t want the car repainted. (Service advisor himself told me paint shop they had provide quote stated they really didn’t want the job as the car would never be the same.) Plus, this would void the Hyundai paint warranty.

Detail guy claims he CAN get the spots off, but it’ll take him 2 solid days of working on my car only (including reapplying the xzilon coating).

My bottom line is I have a two month old vehicle with paint that has been compromised. Am I crazy for thinking I want them to replace it with a brand new vehicle?
In previous reply I meant to say I WOULD NOT ALLOW THEM TO BUFF OUT THE PAINT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark Blue paint.

Crazy thinking, no. Is Hyundai to blame? I will say no. I would let the dealership attempt to buff out the paint as this will probably adversely affect your paint integrity over time. You should seek the 12K as cash from Xzilon and then trade the Hyundai in for another without the treatment using the 12k as a down payment to offset deprecation. Hopefully you will be able to reach an amicable solution that satisfies you.
I agree Hyundai is not to blame. This is either a dealer issue as the product was not applied properly (which of course dealer denies), or a Xzilon issue as the product failed. I suspect Xzilon will revert back to dealer saying it wasn’t properly applied.

As far as trading in and getting a new one, there are several issues:
  • locating a duplicate or better vehicle. AWD is hard to come by in the South and we all know a dealer trade is not going to happen.
  • financing - we got the 3% interest Hyundai was offering, did 72 months, and put money down so the payment would fit our budget. Credit took a hit from all the hard inquiries (Hyundai would not finance us at this rate at a different dealer when I found a vehicle 100 miles away). Hyundai is currently offering 1.9% for 5 years, but my rough math shows this would put the payment around $100 more per month.

Does a dealer have the connection to ask Hyundai Motors finance to give us the same rate?

GM at dealer SAYS they are going to do what it takes to make us happy, but I’m obviously skeptical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[QUOTE="Sterling, post: 3000, member: “using the 12k as a down payment to offset deprecation.
[/QUOTE]

Can one even predict depreciation at this point with the vehicles being so new?

·
Banned
673 Posts
[QUOTE="Sterling, post: 3000, member: “using the 12k as a down payment to offset deprecation.
Can one even predict depreciation at this point with the vehicles being so new?
[/QUOTE]

Assume 20%, but remember you have $12K to work with. Even if you bought a full loaded Limited AWD with tow package for $48K, 20% depreciation = $9,600.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
. . . The Hyundai paint warranty is already gone as I'm certain that any 'chemical paint protectant' applied to Hyundai factory paint is a violation of their warranty. Only a 3M vinyl coat would be allowed.”
I looked into it and what I understand is It’s essentially a car polish. I’ve found a couple reviews that say they regret it. Most na-sayers state such because it cost the dealer $50 and they charge $1000 for it. Dealer says they’ve been doing it for years (on all Genesis and now Palisade) and have had 3 or 4 claims, all of which Xzilon has made good.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Call Hyundai USA and I'll bet you no longer have paint coverage due to an aftermarket coating. All a moot point as the sealant or protectant ruined your new car finish and now the repair will damage your clear coat. The dealer will say all the 'right things' but ultimately they'll use compounds to remove the 'protectant', this will remove some of your clear coat. They will then just apply a good finish wax on there and tell you it's been recoated. When it fails, they'll simply just rebuff and reapply a really good wax and wait for you to complain again. This is why I NEVER pay for the 'sealant'. Just get a good 3M vinyl wrap for $900 to $1,200 in the critical areas. I did my Z06 for $1,200 11 months ago and the paint underneath is perfect. I road race so it's the only protection that will truly keep the front end from getting peppered with rock chips. This is also why I never pay for paint protectant as 3M is about the same price as real paint sealers and the sealers can't stop rock chips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call Hyundai USA and I'll bet you no longer have paint coverage due to an aftermarket coating. All a moot point as the sealant or protectant ruined your new car finish and now the repair will damage your clear coat. The dealer will say all the 'right things' but ultimately they'll use compounds to remove the 'protectant', this will remove some of your clear coat. They will then just apply a good finish wax on there and tell you it's been recoated. When it fails, they'll simply just rebuff and reapply a really good wax and wait for you to complain again. This is why I NEVER pay for the 'sealant'. Just get a good 3M vinyl wrap for $900 to $1,200 in the critical areas. I did my Z06 for $1,200 11 months ago and the paint underneath is perfect. I road race so it's the only protection that will truly keep the front end from getting peppered with rock chips. This is also why I never pay for paint protectant as 3M is about the same price as real paint sealers and the sealers can't stop rock chips.
I know you’re right. [sigh].
At this point, I’m concerned about
1. Getting a vehicle with the same (or better) options.
2. The payments staying in our budget.

I have a feeling I’m going to wind up without AWD.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know you’re right. [sigh].
At this point, I’m concerned about
1. Getting a vehicle with the same (or better) options.
2. The payments staying in our budget.

I have a feeling I’m going to wind up without AWD.
I would continue to believe the "good faith" effort of the dealer until their actions indicate otherwise. People will always exert more effort to correct an acknowledged mistake when the applicant is pleasant to deal with. That also means you continue to press your desires ardently, with a large smile and gratitude for efforts made. I understand the desire for an AWD vehicle as I live in Alabama and made the effort to purchase a Palisade so equipped. I am believing a workable solution that satisfies you can be reached.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would continue to believe the "good faith" effort of the dealer until their actions indicate otherwise. People will always exert more effort to correct an acknowledged mistake when the applicant is pleasant to deal with. That also means you continue to press your desires ardently, with a large smile and gratitude for efforts made. I understand the desire for an AWD vehicle as I live in Alabama and made the effort to purchase a Palisade so equipped. I am believing a workable solution that satisfies you can be reached.
I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt - more bees with honey. That’s why I agreed to allow them to give it a shot next week. But the more I think of it, the more I dislike the thought of a compromised/buffed down clear coat. If we didn’t religiously keep our vehicles for 10+ years, it might not be an issue.

·
Banned
673 Posts
I grew up in Michigan and most FWD vehicles and all season tires will get the job done. My company car is a Toyota Avalon and I've driven through 8" snow on unplowed roads. We really just can't justify the $1,700 here in NC.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I grew up in Michigan and most FWD vehicles and all season tires will get the job done. My company car is a Toyota Avalon and I've driven through 8" snow on unplowed roads. We really just can't justify the $1,700 here in NC.
The AWD is useful for every day driving as indicated by the screen that displays traction application. When I am driving on curvy roads the AWD kicks in. When I am accelerating the AWD kicks in. On a few rainy days the AWD has kicked in. I only know this when I choose to monitor the display with this function showing. I agree that the FWD will do well in the snow as I retired from Connecticut 5 years ago and know all about driving in the snow. If snow was the only use for AWD then you are right, it is wasteful money spent in you live in the South. However after reading different articles about the handling improvement I opted to spend the money, fly to Ohio to purchase my Palisade Limited with AWD which I could not find here in Alabama.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Some insurance companies give you a discount if you have winter tires on. That along with some other pros have made me fork over the money for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This coming from someone who grew up in Michigan and obviously knows how to handle a car well due to street racing.

I was born and bred in GA. While I l know more than the average chic about cars and driving/handling of a vehicle, I do not consider myself educated or experienced enough to feel comfortable driving in snow. (You know all us Southerners flip out at the first drop of a snowflake!)

Nevertheless, there are ski areas in Northern VA where roads are guarded by resort employees during times of snowfall and if your vehicle is not equipped with 4x4 or AWD, you do not pass.

There’s also the time I had to walk home 2 miles in DC with my toddler in-tow because the vehicle I was driving was FWD but couldn’t make it up the hill when a storm came in faster than expected and dumped 4” of snow while I was in the grocery store. Nope. Never again.

There’s also that pesky Uncle Sam that sometimes needs my family to move every 3 or so years. No telling where we will find ourselves next year . . . NC, WA, NY, CO, FL . . .

I do sincerely thank you for your input.

·
Banned
673 Posts
If you’re not comfortable driving in snow w/o AWD then you shouldn’t....period. I grew up driving RWD vehicles with snow tires and never got stuck anywhere. I also ski and have since I was 8 years old. I’ve never needed AWD to make it up to Snow Shoe or other ski resort. But that’s me. Like I said, if you’re not comfortable driving in snow w/o AWD, then you shouldn’t.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts