Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had posted this on another Palisade forum but wanted it here as well in case anyone else is having a similar issue:

Initial post:
We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.

Follow-up post:
The dealer replaced the front tires, that didn't fix it. Then the Hyundai tech told them to replace the main drive shaft, which is odd because during the first drop off two weeks ago they told me they measured the run out on it and told me it was well within Hyundai's specs. We drove it this morning and it was much better but still mildly noticeable between 68-72. We told the tech that it was much better, probably 80% better but was still present. We then spoke to the manager and they are going to speak with Hyundai. When we first noticed the issue in our car we had driven a second Palisade they had on the lot with their head of tech and the tech said it had the same issue as ours but not as severe. We noticed it in that vehicle as well. The dealer is contacting Hyundai corporate to see what they are going to do. I have had to take vacation time from work to deal with this issue with the car being in and out of the shop four times now so I'm hoping they can replace it with one that doesn't have the issue. Will keep this thread posted with updates.

Third and currently last post:
One added point when we spoke to the sales manager. He told us that he hadn't had any issues with the other two Palisades on their lot. I told him the Limited you have out on the lot with the sold sign in the window has the exact same issue and was identified by YOUR head tech when we drove it with him to compare to our vehicle. He was conspicuously silent after that comment. They sold a brand new vehicle which the head tech knew had a drive train vibration issue. Either their tech didn't communicate the issue to the manager or the manager ignored the message from the tech. In either case the behavior is outright criminal. I have aslo been in touch with Hyundai corporate customer service and waiting to hear back today. I have told them we don't want this vehicle back. At this point we have picked it up three times from them. The first two times I was told the issue was resolved and that they had test driven it. There was absolutely no change in the vibration. The third time we picked it up after the drive shaft replacement we saw that they had put 100 miles on it. That's one heck of a test drive, however though the vibration was much improved it was not completely gone. It still occurred between 68 and 72. This exact same issue is very prevalent over on the Telluride forum. I believe the Telluride came out a month or so before the Palisade so I think it is a just matter of time before this becomes more prevalent on the Hyundai forums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is another thread with pedal vibration problems and I am experiencing a similar issue on my AWD SEL. I opened a case with Hyundai and took it to two dealers. The tech at the first dealer (where I purchased it) drove it and acknowledged the issue and drove another car on the lot and it also had an issue. I took it to a different dealer and same thing but this time I drove a limited model AWD and it had the same issue. This is a widespread problem. How can we get eyes on this to be fixed? Or is it better to just trade it back in or do a lemon arbitration?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe,

I plan on filing an NHTSA report. We are waiting to hear from Hyundai Corp if they will buy back the vehicle. The service dept claims the issue is fixed with the installation of the new drive shaft and reported as such to Hyundai. However we have confirmed and made the dealer and Hyundai aware that although it is better with the new drive shaft the vibration/rumble between 68-75 is still present. At this point they have had four chances to fix it and we will be consulting with our attorney to proceed with the lemon law if Hyundai does not agree to a buy back.

The sales manager at our dealer (Hyundai Village of Danvers MA) said with a straight face that if Hyundai does not agree to buy back he would have to depreciate the vehicle by $8000 and we would have to split the depreciation cost. In other words to put us in another vehicle that doesn't vibrate, if one even exists on his lot, he expects us to pay an additional $4k above selling price. You really can't make this 'stuff' up. At this point we are waiting to hear back from Hyundai Corporate. Please keep us posted on your outcome and I wish you better luck than we have had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BT, I'll throw in my two-cents here... Last week I picked up my AWD Limited. It arrived at the dealer a week later than the stated delivery time on the Hyundai website. When I pressed the salesman for an explanation, all he could (or would) tell me was that their recent shipments were being held at the port for "additional inspections". Having read about your (and others) experience with the vibration issue, I put two and two together and concluded that it might have something to do with the driveshaft/axle issue, and their desire to address it before it gets to the dealer. I could, of course, be totally wrong about this, but I thought I would mention it.

FWIW, I don't appear to have this issue, but I'll test more this weekend. Sorry you are, and please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
197 Posts
BT, I'll throw in my two-cents here... Last week I picked up my AWD Limited. It arrived at the dealer a week later than the stated delivery time on the Hyundai website. When I pressed the salesman for an explanation, all he could (or would) tell me was that their recent shipments were being held at the port for "additional inspections". Having read about your (and others) experience with the vibration issue, I put two and two together and concluded that it might have something to do with the driveshaft/axle issue, and their desire to address it before it gets to the dealer. I could, of course, be totally wrong about this, but I thought I would mention it.

FWIW, I don't appear to have this issue, but I'll test more this weekend. Sorry you are, and please let us know what happens.
This is very interesting to me. We have one on order, and we can't seem to get a date from the dealer. It should be any day now, but they still claim to not have any specifics.

You mention a delivery time on Hyundai's website. Can you point me to where you're looking? I've not been given a way to track deliveries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eric,

If you go to the website to search dealer inventory (this should get you there:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/inventory-search/index.aspx?model=palisade&year=2020&trim=palisade-2020-en-US-limited), enter zip code of dealership, use "Filter matches" to refine your search, and look past the listings for "Located at" to the ones for your dealer for "In transit to". This may help you see what's on the way, but it doesn't give dates... I think I got the original due date when the dealer looked it up.

I found the Moonlight cloud Limited I wanted showing on it's way to a dealer near me, and when I called, the salesperson wasn't even aware that it was coming, but had more info when they looked it up. When I called the week prior to arrival to confirm, that's when the delivery date seemed to become more vague, but by the following week, it arrived.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Eric,

If you go to the website to search dealer inventory (this should get you there:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/inventory-search/index.aspx?model=palisade&year=2020&trim=palisade-2020-en-US-limited), enter zip code of dealership, use "Filter matches" to refine your search, and look past the listings for "Located at" to the ones for your dealer for "In transit to". This may help you see what's on the way.

I found the Moonlight cloud Limited I wanted showing on it's way to a dealer near me, and when I called, the salesperson wasn't even aware that it was coming.
Ah ok. Yeah I know about this one. But I don't think it tells you when it will arrive.

We also found what we wanted that way, went to the dealer who ordered it, and now we're waiting for it.

But that car disappeared from Hyundai's inventory search 2 to 3 weeks ago. Maybe because it's sold to us? Meanwhile the dealer hasn't received it yet and it's been 4 weeks since we placed a deposit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry... I forgot where I got the date; I've edited my response to reflect that.

My VIN showed on the website days AFTER I purchased it, so I'm not sure that means anything. Where are you located?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Port of entry is Philadelphia, so your delay should be minimal. I'm in eastern PA and mine was delivered to the dealer the evening of the day they called to say it was finally released from the port.

I'll be interested if anyone else weighs in on seeing these delivery delays, and the subsequent presence or absence of the vibration issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Port of entry is Philadelphia, so your delay should be minimal. I'm in eastern PA and mine was delivered to the dealer the evening of the day they called to say it was finally released from the port.

I'll be interested if anyone else weighs in on seeing these delivery delays, and the subsequent presence or absence of the vibration issue.
So... word on the street is that they're holding all cars at the port of entry to inspect the tires, due to flat spots resulting from the long trip at sea for such a heavy vehicle. Potentially replacing the tires where needed. Apparently my car has been held up in Philly for 3 weeks and, while the reason isn't clear, my dealership is guessing that this is the reason.

@btfriend: it sounds like Hyundai has already eliminated the tires as the root cause for your issue, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So... word on the street is that they're holding all cars at the port of entry to inspect the tires, due to flat spots resulting from the long trip at sea for such a heavy vehicle. Potentially replacing the tires where needed. Apparently my car has been held up in Philly for 3 weeks and, while the reason isn't clear, my dealership is guessing that this is the reason.

@btfriend: it sounds like Hyundai has already eliminated the tires as the root cause for your issue, so I'm not sure what to suggest.
Interesting. I wonder if anyone who has had the problem and had their tires replaced had the issue solved? Also, how does one test for flat spots on tires? Is this something you just go to the dealer and ask for them to test for flat spots?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took an especially long test drive of a Palisade Limited Trim. I’m in the market for one and was anxious to see if it affected the vehicle I was driving in. I was careful to observe and look out for any vibration between 65 and 75mph. At least on the car I was driving, I couldn’t feel anything. I took care to accelerate and decelerate slowly that entire range to see if any sign of vibration shows up. Tried it with gas pedal acceleration, as well as with cruise control. But I couldn’t feel anything. The ride was quite smooth.

Just thought I’ll share my experience with this today. It’s not to cast doubt on so many posters here saying there is an issue. I’m just suggesting it might be an issue with a certain batch of vehicles, or maybe a design issue that’s affecting some batches more than others.

Other things owners are reporting that I tried to look out for -

— Owners are reporting gas pedal vibration at low speeds. I couldn’t feel it at all. At any speed. So that too might be a ‘bad batch’ issue.

— Some owners are reporting wind noise due to the driver side rear view mirror. This is indeed true, but it’s very faint. It’s so faint that I wouldn’t have heard it had I not had the music system off just to look out for this noise (and the aforementioned vibration). With the music on even at a reasonable volume I’m sure it would be impossible to hear it. And one of the major reasons, you can hear it is because the cabin is otherwise so quiet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m sorry for all the issues you’ve had. I can’t imagine going through that. I own a limited myself, but haven’t noticed that issue. But now that I know what to look for, I’m going to be checking for it.

I hope you are able to get it resolved, whether through lemon law or anything else.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I posted this originally under the title "Palisade date of Manufacture"

"I have been reading over the last few weeks of the very similar problems that some people are having with either pedal vibration or vibration/rumble issues between the speeds of 60 to 70 mph. Some of this has finally been narrowed down to drive shaft issues. Other vehicles owners do not yet have an answer.

My thought is that it could be limited to a particular production run at the factory in Korea. For example Honda (which has a manufacturing plant in Alabama that I toured) limits runs of a particular model to 30 cars, this way when a problem is identified they know where to look for other examples of the defect or flaw. So I am asking you who have some identified issue to check the date of manufacture of your particular Palisade and post the date. Perhaps there is a correlation between a specific production run and the problems some people have been experiencing. This date can be found on the drivers side door panel. I have a Palisade Limited AWD production date of 5/29/19 which I purchased from a dealer on 7/27/29. Hopefully a pattern will emerge that will aid the owners who have unsolved issues when talking with there Hyundai dealers and eventually Hyundai Corporate. Folks it is just an idea."

So far the responses from owners that have Palisades manufactured between 5/15 and 5/29 exhibit no evidence of the vibration reported here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update. We are waiting to hear from Hyundai Corp about a buy back. Our case was escalated last week to a Hyundai rep named Dianne who was supposed to call us back last Friday. We haven't heard from her. I have called general customer service three times since last Thursday and they supposedly sent notes to her three times that she should be reaching out to us. We haven't heard anything. Needless to say the Hyundai customer service dept has been completely useless. There has been no communication in over a week now. I have never dealt with such a horrible customer service department. They won't give out contact information of the person who is supposed to be handling your case. At this point I'm not sure who to contact. We have spoken to our attorney and will be pursuing the lemon law since we have given them more than enough time to resolve this issue. The dealership's behavior (Hyundai Village in Danvers MA) in selling a known faulty vehicle with the same issue as ours that was driven by their tech who acknowledged the issue to us and the head of service was criminal in and of itself. This whole ordeal with both the dealership and Hyundai corporate has been a nightmare. The dealership couldn't fix the issue so they turned it over to Hyundai Corporate who's rep has at this point has completely dropped the ball.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here. I just heard back from Corp and they said since I took it to two dealerships and no one could find an issue, they will close my case. They also said I can take my complaint to the BBB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same here. I just heard back from Corp and they said since I took it to two dealerships and no one could find an issue, they will close my case. They also said I can take my complaint to the BBB.
Hi Joe,

That is horrible, so sorry to hear that. Did the dealer go on a test drive with you? Did both dealers just deny hearing/feeling the vibration? Our dealer said they fixed the issue and didn't go on the test drive when my wife and I picked it up to test drive it. I have now offered to take the service manager on a test drive with me. I am waiting to hear back from Hyundai before taking it back and taking him for a drive. Hyundai is turning out to be a horrible company from the experience I and now it seems others are having.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Joe,

I just went further back in the thread a noticed this in one of your previous posts:
'The tech at the first dealer (where I purchased it) drove it and acknowledged the issue and drove another car on the lot and it also had an issue.'

If the tech acknowledged the issue how can the deny that there is an issue? Hyundai needs to step up. If this continues I hope the company goes down in flames because of this. There are many more postings of this issue on the Telluride forums. We really like the car other than the vibration and if they could have fixed the vibration we would have been happy keeping the car. With the low frequency vibration/rumbling when driving on smooth highways it makes driving it a miserable experience.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts