Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting post. We picked up our 2020 Palisade Limited AWD with Nappa Leather Beige (protectant applied at the dealership), and there's no smell as of yet. Is this about the same time for everyone else.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
16 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Limited with the beige interior. I had seen these posts and the cars.com articles before I bought, so I pulled all the headrests and sniffed them and the holes in the seats before buying. I actually checked out 3 beige 2020 Limiteds like this.

The first one I had called the dealer to verify it was still in stock and they said they would "have the car ready" for me to see. I found the passenger window was down when I got there. It was a hot day (like 90) and all their other Palisades had all the windows up. Kind of suspicious. The salesman claimed to have never heard about the smell issue. I rolled the window up and did my smell test but all I could smell was leather.

Then went to another dealer that had two 2020 Limiteds with beige leather. These had their windows up and were hot inside when I checked them out. The salesman said he had just heard about the smell issue a few days ago but assured me if there was any issue that it had been found that a special type of Fabreeze could be sprayed and it would take care of it. I didn't bother to argue about that.

These didn't have as much of a nice leather smell as the first one did. I kind of thought a could smell a hint of the garlic smell one of them, but it was so faint I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it. I ended up purchasing the other one.
The car certainly doesn't have the typical new car smell, and I'm surpised the leather doesn't smell more like leather. I've got child seats in the 2nd row so I pulled those headrest and I'm going to put them in a bag and see if they develop a smell. But it's been hot the last couple of days (90 high) and no issues so far, knock on wood. Love the car so far, so keeping my fingers crossed this doesn't become an issue or, if it does, they come up with a fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@sniffer This definitely appears to be limited to the beige interior. Best to work with the dealer on a loaner, especially if your wife is experiencing discomfort. As an amateur chemist, I’d love to know what is off-gassing given how resistant it’s been to common cleaning solutions. This one is a head scratcher.
It is not just a beige interior thing--I have one w black interior...smell is there...no protectant purchased from dealer, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was chatting with an owner like me who has a "garlic breath" like smell in his Palisade when the car is parked with the windows closed and he suggested we try to get a count of the folks on this forum who are in our same situation and still having the issue. I know there have been other threads on this in the past, but I'd like to take a current pulse of the forum. Please reply to this thread if you have a Limited with the Beige interior and have the foul odor problem. Thanks!
I have a new 2021 Limited with black interior and have this smell. It doesn't smell like new car leather and I have been leaving the windows down while in the garage. I need to talk to my dealer since it only has 500 miles on it. It really has a strong chemical odor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a new 2021 Limited with black interior and have this smell. It doesn't smell like new car leather and I have been leaving the windows down while in the garage. I need to talk to my dealer since it only has 500 miles on it. It really has a strong chemical odor.
Whaler97, read the posts under "Unpleasant Interior Odor" about this problem, if you can return the SUV, do it! I have had my 2020 since July and still dealing with this problem, your dealer knew about this problem and still sold it to you, Hyundai put out notices to all dealers about this, File a complaint and get a Case # from them Customer Service 1-800-633-5151, Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whaler97, read the posts under "Unpleasant Interior Odor" about this problem, if you can return the SUV, do it! I have had my 2020 since July and still dealing with this problem, your dealer knew about this problem and still sold it to you, Hyundai put out notices to all dealers about this, File a complaint and get a Case # from them Customer Service 1-800-633-5151, Good Luck!
Did you get any satisfacion
Did you get any satisfacion from the dealer or corporate? I like the vehicle other than the smell and I traded my Highlander on it which they have already sold. They may have to replace the interior to get rid of the smell. I will call customer service tomorrow and get a claim going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you get any satisfacion

Did you get any satisfacion from the dealer or corporate? I like the vehicle other than the smell and I traded my Highlander on it which they have already sold. They may have to replace the interior to get rid of the smell. I will call customer service tomorrow and get a claim going.
My dealer has been great, they are trying to do everything they can to fix it, but it is really out of their hands. They are getting direction from Hyundai on things to try but so far nothing has worked. I think Hyundai is trying but this could cost them millions to fix and I do not think they have come to the decision onhow to fix THEIR problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it is worth here is what we have done and to answer the "what do I do". questions I see posted. Our vehicle is the 2020 with beige and the garlic smell was horrendous. Like, make my whole d$nm garage smell like garlic horrendous. WTH, who would have ever thought this would be a problem on brand new vehicle.

Our particular dealership has been less than helpful, hopefully others are not so much. Ours claimed they have never heard of this problem. Whatever.
Hyundai customer service has also been less than helpful. "we are investigating, here is your case number"...

We went and bought a P&S Odor Doc from a local store. Followed the directions to a T, and activated in the vehicle for 1+30 hrs. The atrocious smell is gone! It had the smell of a pool for a few days, but it is a heck of a lot better than the other smells.

So far, so good. I will update as necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it is worth here is what we have done and to answer the "what do I do". questions I see posted. Our vehicle is the 2020 with beige and the garlic smell was horrendous. Like, make my whole d$nm garage smell like garlic horrendous. WTH, who would have ever thought this would be a problem on brand new vehicle.

Our particular dealership has been less than helpful, hopefully others are not so much. Ours claimed they have never heard of this problem. Whatever.
Hyundai customer service has also been less than helpful. "we are investigating, here is your case number"...

We went and bought a P&S Odor Doc from a local store. Followed the directions to a T, and activated in the vehicle for 1+30 hrs. The atrocious smell is gone! It had the smell of a pool for a few days, but it is a heck of a lot better than the other smells.

it was a $22 fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I would like to know if it comes back in a few weeks too, before I try it. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was chatting with an owner like me who has a "garlic breath" like smell in his Palisade when the car is parked with the windows closed and he suggested we try to get a count of the folks on this forum who are in our same situation and still having the issue. I know there have been other threads on this in the past, but I'd like to take a current pulse of the forum. Please reply to this thread if you have a Limited with the Beige interior and have the foul odor problem. Thanks!
Please file a report with the BBB. It will take all of us to get them to do something.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts