Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost 1 quart of oil in my first 2,500 miles. My dealer says its normal for this type of engine.

Anyone else seeing this?

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
I'd keep track of it and see if it is really using oil or was never full to begin with.
Always make sure you are not over filling. The new dip sticks are sometimes hard
to read. Friend told me that was because they were designed by a dip stick.
I just thought it was because I'm getting old

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I have lost 1 quart of oil in my first 2,500 miles. My dealer says its normal for this type of engine.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sounds normal to me engine breaking in but keep an eye on level I used about 1/2 qt my first 3000 and used 1/4 qt next 4000

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did check it when new. I am going to the dealer and let him check it.

I just had a long block replacement on my 2013 Sonata. It was using 2 quarts per 1000 miles (98,000 miles) Squeezed all I could get out of that one.

I'll post after I get back.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Anyone else seeing this?
Having gone through this with my Outback, I feel your pain.
Document EVERYTHING.
Ask for something in writing from the dealership and corporate that states what is considered to be in spec. My dealership was playing games.
Ask for an oil consumption test. They will change the oil and ask you to drive 1,000 miles (or something similar) and then come back in to see how much has dropped.
When they change the oil tell them you want to see the oil level to make sure they didn't overfill it (again my old dealership was playing games).
Keep your fingers crossed that the issue goes away after the first change.

For what it's worth, I had 9 oil consumption tests and my engine was rebuilt twice. I had such bad luck with that car.

Also... depending on lemon laws in your state, talk to an attorney before the timeframe is up so you can get something documented. Even if you are still going through the test phase talk to an attorney. Make sure you don't lose options.

GL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did not check mine when I got it, but when I checked at about 800 miles it was just above the low level mark. It seemed to be holding pretty well until I did my first drain and fill at 1,495 miles last Friday. I added 5 3/4 quarts and a 10.9 oz can of Liqui Moly.

I will be keeping a very close eye on it during break-in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jetech, I get that. Many folks feel that the factory fill is high in moly, thus the recommendation to not change early. I feel the highly respected Liqui Moly is a fairly conservative way to sooth my "early change" urges.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Anyone else seeing this?
We are down 1/2 quart after 4k miles. My dealer says they expect some oil usage in the first 7500 miles, especially if there are mostly short trips. There should be lityle if any oil loss after the first 7500 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd keep track of it and see if it is really using oil or was never full to begin with.
Always make sure you are not over filling. The new dip sticks are sometimes hard
to read. Friend told me that was because they were designed by a dip stick.
I just thought it was because I'm getting old
Love the dip stick joke, ha ha ha

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently changed mine (13k) and noticed I had burned through almost a quart. I change my oil myself using valvoline full synthetic, so it's based on old oil going into the new old jugs. No oil in the driveway, so there's no leak. Looks like I'll also be investing in a consumption test.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I recently changed mine (13k) and noticed I had burned through almost a quart. I change my oil myself using valvoline full synthetic, so it's based on old oil going into the new old jugs. No oil in the driveway, so there's no leak. Looks like I'll also be investing in a consumption test.
Well how many miles between your oil changes per your statement 13K or 1300 hundred and if you changed it at 13K you were way over Hyundai service recommendations an normal use is 7500 mile intervals

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well how many miles between your oil changes per your statement 13K or 1300 hundred and if you changed it at 13K you were way over Hyundai service recommendations an normal use is 7500 mile intervals
I change regularly at an interval closer to 4500 miles, if not sooner as my wife does many short trips. 13k was the mileage at which I last changed my oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts