Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Palisade Limited. Is there any sort of oil life monitor capability? I thought this was pretty standard on most new vehicles, but they only thing I see in the manual is the recommended maintenance schedule of 7500 miles (normal) or 3750 (severe). Am I missing it?

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Set up your owners myhyundai account. Login and you can select the maintenance schedule which is right for your driving.
You can then receive a notification when it is due.
There is no monitor for the oil itself.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
350 Posts
Yeah, it's just an algorithm, basically for people who might forget to change the oil. I'm almost sure the Palisade should have it, since all my previous Hyundais and Kias have had it... and it's easy to reset. I personally change the oil every 5K miles with full synthetic oil and OEM filter. And the first time usually at around 2K miles, to get rid of all the assembly and break-in crap.And yes, I always reset the counter.
So did your other Hyundai have the oil life monitor or just the maint schedule? This is my first Hyundai but my Honda has oil life and manual says to change it at 15% oil life, nothing to do with mileage driven. Unlike the Palisade which says 3750 for severe conditions and 7500 for normal, it's all mileage based.

Regarding break-in, there's already been tons of discussion on this forum on that and whether you should go longer due to special break-in oil. My dealer still changed mine at 3000 but many others were told to wait. In the end, probably doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Hyundai and kia use a mileage base reminder for oil changes. I believe the question was an oil life monitor, which some vehicles use.
When the oil gets contaminated , it may be at 2639miles or 8763 miles the car then lets you know oil needs changing.
Sorry Palisade uses the mileage not a monitor

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
No vehicle has an oil condition monitor; they simply don't exist. ALL are just algorithms; some better than others. And no, no car only monitors mileage either; it's a combination of mileage AND TIME. The latter typically 1 year. So if you don't use your car at all, the algorithm would reduce the oil life left by the time it sat. For example, if you reset it to 100%, and the car sits for a month, it should say about 92% oil life left at that point (easy to try :)). And same thing with mileage; there's a starting point, like 7,500, 10,000, or whatever, and if the algorithm determines harsher conditions than normal, it reduces mileage from the 7,500 total (or whatever 'base'). But again, the algorithm can't detect everything, so if you operate your car under 'severe' conditions, you need to go by whatever new maximum mileage the manufacturer says. Or at least somewhere in-between.

Bottom line is algorithms are there for people who are not aware of the maintenance a vehicle needs at all, so they don't go 20K miles without changing the oil. Ha ha. Most of us on forums like this, we're on top of that, and such algorithms are basically useless. But better than nothing. At least we can reset them ourselves, unlike BMWs, and others, which require a dealer visit. Hope this helps.
So your telling me this does not exist No More Guesswork Mercedes-Benz sensor tells when to change oil | WardsAuto
Here is an article on how different oil life monitor systems work Can We Trust Oil Life Monitors? | 2019-03-04 | Auto Service Professional
be sure and see method # 4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just changed my oil. There is no "monitoring" of any sort. There is a service interval you can set (either by mileage or months).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts