Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went under my car to change the oil today (5000 miles), and saw an oil leak coming from the upper oil pan. Not enough to affect the oil dipstick level, which was full when I checked, but noticeable on the ground. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see. Hopefully it's just loose bolts and not a rear main seal.

Another weird thing I found. My upper oil pan has a part number of 21521-3LFA0, but I can't find this part number anywhere. The only I can find online is 21520-3LFA0. Not sure what the difference is, but you can see in the pic that it's not a 100% match, looks like it's missing some bolts? I guess this is used for a wide range of vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if this is the same issue, but I took mine in to the dealer a couple months ago for the first service. My Palisade came out of service and was waiting in line for their car wash when a tech came back and took it back in. They said it had to do with the drain plug, but I think they might have forgot the washer. I took the Palisade home and it dripped oil overnight onto my driveway. I took it back and they said oil dripped onto the cover pan and then dripped onto my driveway. They steam cleaned the pan and I haven't had any problems since then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if this is the same issue, but I took mine in to the dealer a couple months ago for the first service. My Palisade came out of service and was waiting in line for their car wash when a tech came back and took it back in. They said it had to do with the drain plug, but I think they might have forgot the washer. I took the Palisade home and it dripped oil overnight onto my driveway. I took it back and they said oil dripped onto the cover pan and then dripped onto my driveway. They steam cleaned the pan and I haven't had any problems since then.
My Issue was more severe. It was oil galley bolt that wasn't tighten enough or didn't install it right. They had to completely remove the subframe and the transmission in order to get to it. 8 hour job lol.

It doesn't seem to be leaking now, but I'll check it often just in case.

·
Registered
2020 Palisades Limited
3 Posts
I have what looks like exactly the same leak!
My dealer is going after the rear main seal on the crank.
Shouldn't have to on a new car, but @%#$ happens right?
Let me know what they find on yours.

·
Registered
2020 Palisades Limited
3 Posts
Here is what my dealer found today. Had to separate the tranny from the motor. They first thought rear main seal, but found this instead. Car has under 5,000 miles. They said the plug was torqued properly but the sealant was missing in some places. Thought it would be a gasket, but they are researching proper fix before buttoning it up. Seems like a simple fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
Darn, I found a drop of oil on my 504-mile old Calligraphy right on the bolt head where your photo below is :(. Was hoping it was oil from the factory, but after seeing these disturbing reports, it looks like it's probably the main seal too. Geez. Couldn't find where it was coming from, but I suspected that weep hole. Cleaned everything really well, including removing the bolt to see if it was coming from there (it wasn't), and will check it again when I come back after driving 1,500 miles. Oh well.

I have what looks like exactly the same leak!
View attachment 2130

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
I came back from my trip, with almost 2K miles on the clock now. And have good news. Got under the car, removed the belly pan, and everything is dry as a bone. Yeeeeey! Have no idea how that oil could have gotten on that bolt, since I removed it before draining anything. But was very glad to find everything dry. Also glad it's not the rear main seal, since I doubt a tech who has never fixed one would get it right. But the bad news is the massive dismantling job to remove the tranny is still needed. Hope they didn't screw up something else in the process.

Hey gang, does anybody know what's the torque for those 2 10mm bolts shown on the photo I linked above??? I removed the front one, which is the one with oil on it, just to see if oil was leaking from there. It seems to be there just for extra support for the crankcase part. Don't want to overtighten it by accident, which could cause a leak, so just guessed the torque it should have, basically just fully compressing the locking washer, and a tiny bit more. But would like to torque it down properly if possible. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts