Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, went back to dealer for my free oil change. Regular oil is free, synthetic is $40 add-on. Okay, maybe a longer time between changes. Service writer says "Nope, recommend change at 3,000 miles regardless" (not severe use). What the heck? Why pay the extra $40? Protection that much better? I go home and the manual says 7,500 miles and I didn't see anything about synthetic being recommended or required. I call a buddy who knows more about cars than I. He says use the synthetic as something about GDI motors not burning all the carbon in the pistons or something that like that. What's the deal?
Rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get oil changes and tire rotations every 5000 miles from my dealer up to 36,000 miles. The owners manual says oil change interval 7500 miles, but my sales person programmed my oil reminder reset at 5000 to come back to them. If they want to do it every 5000 miles versus what the owners manual says I’m cool with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
According the owner's manual, the following are considered "Severe service" conditions, meaning 3,750 mile OCI's. I KNOW my driving is severe service - and I'm guessing 80-90% of us are. I do agree that 3,750 mile OCI may be a waste for full synthetic. But as I can find 5 quarts of full synthetic for $15-17 - I will use full syn.

Severe driving conditions
A- Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km)
in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing
temperature
B- Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C-Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or saltspread
roads
D-Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in
very cold weather
E-Driving in heavy dust condition
F - Driving in heavy traffic area
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
H-Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I -Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K-Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

·
Registered
54 Posts
According the owner's manual, the following are considered "Severe service" conditions, meaning 3,750 mile OCI's. I KNOW my driving is severe service - and I'm guessing 80-90% of us are. I do agree that 3,750 mile OCI may be a waste for full synthetic. But as I can find 5 quarts of full synthetic for $15-17 - I will use full syn.

Severe driving conditions
A- Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km)
in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing
temperature
B- Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C-Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or saltspread
roads
D-Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in
very cold weather
E-Driving in heavy dust condition
F - Driving in heavy traffic area
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
H-Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I -Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K-Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions
Exactly. And is it worth being wrong on this? Seriously, the only way you aren't "repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles" is to "frequently drive in stop-and-go conditions". They cover their bases. All the manufacturers I worked for had the same policy. I would and will do 5k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I pre payed for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation every 6000 miles. Of course, now I can't remember how many miles I get that for. I think it was for 50,000 or 60,000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts