Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White / Black
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You’re correct about the crankcase fumes and that on a newer car there isn’t much gasses passing through, but they’re still blow by gasses there are different terms but at the end of the day is the same thing. In either case I’m curious.. was your f150 a GDI engine? because if you had it for 10 years then it probably wasn’t a GDI engine which means your valves were constantly getting cleaning with fuel during the intake stroke that’s why it made no difference to have an oil separator on your engine…
True, I have a 2015 /F150 with the 3.5 twin turbo and I will get about 2 ounces of blow by every oil change (6000 miles) but I’m not pulling anything heavy either…So the engine is not working hard

·
Registered
404 Posts
True, I have a 2015 /F150 with the 3.5 twin turbo and I will get about 2 ounces of blow by every oil change (6000 miles) but I’m not pulling anything heavy either…So the engine is not working hard
The harder you work it, the less "can" oil you get. Fords love working hard and put away wet. Damn good engines, but crappy town mileage...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Thanks for your reply!! Yea that was my mistake. I meant it Wouldn’t hurt. I found this video on YouTube for a Kia telluride. You can see the junk that goes back into the intake system but the oil separator catches it first.
Well that’s proof positive!!! And there seemed to be a lot for 1000 miles.Even if it is just condensate you still need it going back into your compression cycle..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice!! My brother in law currently has one it’s a 2011 with the same engine. He’s had it for about a year now. It almost got 100k and runs pretty good. Doesn’t have a catch can but I’m sure those intake valves got to have some carbon on them. Either way to conclude our conversation. I still think the oil catch can wouldn’t hurt

NEXT QUEEESTIOOOON, on the catch can debacle… Does anybody know if Hyundai will void your warranty if one were to be installed?? Don’t want to void that 100,000 mile warranty….Even though it would be better, they could use it as an excuse to not cover a warranty issue and blame it on the catch can…

·
Registered
2022 SE AWD
24 Posts
The power on demand with it switching from Atkinson to Otto is the neat technology part. Gotta love EFI or is that GDI now?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The power on demand with it switching from Atkinson to Otto is the neat technology part. Gotta love EFI or is that GDI now?
Maybe its a manufactures preference? EFI electronic fuel injection and GDI Gas direct injection to me are the same thing. They both use high pressure and inject the fuel directly into the cylinder, not above the valves but below the valves. EFI,GDI, WTH?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Maybe its a manufactures preference? EFI electronic fuel injection and GDI Gas direct injection to me are the same thing. They both use high pressure and inject the fuel directly into the cylinder, not above the valves but below the valves. EFI,GDI, WTH?
EFI is just a generic term for Electronic Fuel Injection. GDI (directly in the cylinder) is one type of EFI. MPI (above the valves) is another type. Both are EFI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It amazes me that people still think Hyundai engineers (or any other brand to that matter) are so dumb that they forgot to install a so needed catch can lol. But then again, people believe in flat earth and voodoo. So I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
404 Posts
NEXT QUEEESTIOOOON, on the catch can debacle… Does anybody know if Hyundai will void your warranty if one were to be installed?? Don’t want to void that 100,000 mile warranty….Even though it would be better, they could use it as an excuse to not cover a warranty issue and blame it on the catch can…
I wouldn't add it, as it doesn't do much and manufacturers don't like anyone messing with their stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The science is there especially for GDI engines. Of course, there’re people who believe the earth is flat, then suit yourself.

At the same time, yes, actually installing one can be a risk point for more problems. I’ve been having catch cans for all my cars. I had my 2015 Nissan, bought new, that kept leaking oil at the valve cover. Dealership re-sealed twice, then the service manager recommended me to remove the oil catch can and see if it helps. It did and I later found the one-way valve in the catch can system was clogged, just like having a clogged PCV valve. I removed the valve and it has been running fine since. Still has and love the car.
Also no, it shouldn’t void any warranty for this mod. I researched way back but can’t remember the law that allow us to do certain modifications.

Some catch cans are better at separating the vapor depending on baffle type. That might explain the skepticism/difference in experience. I wasn’t planning to install one since I have a family now and sorta lazy to mod cars anymore… but after seeing how much the Telluride collected, got me rethinking again… can’t deny that it does have blowby…

·
Registered
135 Posts
Manufacturers are a lot smarter than average Joe. They have departments of engineers who 24/7 trying to squeeze the last drop of reliability and efficiency out of engine. If something that easy like oil catch can was needed it would be implemented. This is like average Joe trying to put a beet root leaf to their inflamed prostate thinking they are smarter than doctors. Every month clowns like that come from their Harvard engineering college and start trying to convince us to buy snake oil, oil catch can, ceramic coating for tires, blinker fluid and 79% nitrogen.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts