Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
549 Posts
The Palisade uses the 3.8L Lambda II GDI engine which uses the Atkinson cycle to help keep the intake valves from fouling up. The Atkinson cycle keeps the intake valve open longer during the compression stroke which forces the gas mixture up inside the intake valve to help clean the carbon.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The Palisade uses the 3.8L Lambda II GDI engine which uses the Atkinson cycle to help keep the intake valves from fouling up. The Atkinson cycle keeps the intake valve open longer during the compression stroke which forces the gas mixture up inside the intake valve to help clean the carbon.
It should also be noted that the engine in the Palisade uses variable valve timing to effectively switch from Atkinson to Otto cycle on demand. See this video (relevant section is from 37:09 to 39:41):

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White / Black
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should also be noted that the engine in the Palisade uses variable valve timing to effectively switch from Atkinson to Otto cycle on demand. See this video (relevant section is from 37:09 to 39:41):

Great info, the engine explanation is about 36 minutes into the video. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hey Guys. Excuse my ignorance in the subject but they don’t mention anything about the Atkinson and Otto cycle clean the valves. Blow by gasses are still brought back in to the intake system no matter what. I think an oil catch system would hurt to be installed

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys. Excuse my ignorance in the subject but they don’t mention anything about the Atkinson and Otto cycle clean the valves. Blow by gasses are still brought back in to the intake system no matter what. I think an oil catch system would hurt to be installed
I agree, it’s still a CDI engine but did you mean to say WOULDN’T hurt to be installed..

·
Registered
404 Posts
They are not blowby gasses. They are charge gasses...big difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are not blowby gasses. They are charge gasses...big difference.
OK, I don’t understand the Atkinson Cycle engine so I’ll need to read up some.. From what I understand every engine has blow by gas, where does the Atkinson Cycle engine route this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree, it’s still a CDI engine but did you mean to say WOULDN’T hurt to be installed..
Hey Thanks for your reply!! Yea that was my mistake. I meant it Wouldn’t hurt. I found this video on YouTube for a Kia telluride. You can see the junk that goes back into the intake system but the oil separator catches it first.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They Are blow by gasses that get past the piston rings and get re-routed back in the intake system through the pcv valve.
Only some....most are crankcase fumes. They are pulled from the crankcase by vacuum. No modern engine has that much poor sealing at the piston rings. That is why the oil from the PCV is that color, it is mixed very well with moisture from the heat cycling after it has cooled from sitting. That same happens at the exhaust, ever see the t pipe drip water on a cold start? Same thing. Most catch can fluid is from cold short trip driving. Take a trip with an empty can and the collection will be much less. I had a can in my F150 for a year..sold it to someone else. I made NO difference. Had the truck for 10 years and the valves were never affected....but everyone can do what they want. That is what the sellers want....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only some....most are crankcase fumes. They are pulled from the crankcase by vacuum. No modern engine has that much poor sealing at the piston rings. That is why the oil from the PCV is that color, it is mixed very well with moisture from the heat cycling after it has cooled from sitting. That same happens at the exhaust, ever see the t pipe drip water on a cold start? Same thing. Most catch can fluid is from cold short trip driving. Take a trip with an empty can and the collection will be much less. I had a can in my F150 for a year..sold it to someone else. I made NO difference. Had the truck for 10 years and the valves were never affected....but everyone can do what they want. That is what the sellers want....
You’re correct about the crankcase fumes and that on a newer car there isn’t much gasses passing through, but they’re still blow by gasses there are different terms but at the end of the day is the same thing. In either case I’m curious.. was your f150 a GDI engine? because if you had it for 10 years then it probably wasn’t a GDI engine which means your valves were constantly getting cleaning with fuel during the intake stroke that’s why it made no difference to have an oil separator on your engine…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless your truck was an eco boost 3.5l v6 but if it was a v8 then it was naturally aspirate

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was a direct injection twin turbo 3.5. And it ran flawlessly for all 10 years. Good mileage too.
Nice!! My brother in law currently has one it’s a 2011 with the same engine. He’s had it for about a year now. It almost got 100k and runs pretty good. Doesn’t have a catch can but I’m sure those intake valves got to have some carbon on them. Either way to conclude our conversation. I still think the oil catch can wouldn’t hurt

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, i really have to read about this engine and how they manage to reach compression with the intake valve open..new technology is a wonder..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts